• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-rights activist again sues Norfolk over '07 arrest

TFred

imported post

This all happened before I came along here, but I didn't see anyone else post a link...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/gunrights-activist-again-sues-norfolk-over-07-arrest

Gun-rights activist again sues Norfolk over '07 arrest

NORFOLK

A Yorktown advocate of the right to openly carry firearms has filed another federal lawsuit over his one-hour detention during the June 2007 Harborfest, this one alleging excessive force against four policemen involved.

Chester "Chet" Szymecki Jr., who is proceeding without a lawyer, alleges that intentionally tight handcuffs and his physical removal from the festival site at Town Point Park caused pain and aggravated existing neurological problems. He seeks $2 million plus costs.

The local criminal charge against him over wearing a holstered .45-caliber handgun at the festival was withdrawn. Virginia law prohibits localities from regulating firearms.

The city settled a previous federal suit over the constitutionality of his arrest with a $15,000 payout before a scheduled December trial but admitted no wrongdoing.

City Attorney Bernard Pishko said Thursday that the city's position is that there was no excessive force.

"The officers' version doesn't confirm Szymecki's allegations," Pishko said.

markand

imported post

About time several zeros get added to these settlements. Nothing like a big chunk of your already shrinking municipal budget getting consumed by lawyer fees, court costs and juicy, six figure payouts for infringing on lawful activity with excessive force. Hope the lawsuit is successful. Maybe they'll train their officers in what the law really says. That would be far cheaper than trying to defend these kind of actions in court.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

markand wrote:
About time several zeros get added to these settlements. Nothing like a big chunk of your already shrinking municipal budget getting consumed by lawyer fees, court costs and juicy, six figure payouts for infringing on lawful activity with excessive force. Hope the lawsuit is successful. Maybe they'll train their officers in what the law really says. That would be far cheaper than trying to defend these kind of actions in court.
+1

You can bet the farm Chet was not the first person on who they decided to tighten down the cuffs for no reason.

TFred

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
TFred wrote:
ummm.............you think? :banghead:
That Pishko fellow is one sharp cookie, eh? I bet he was at the top of his class in law school... anybody know where he got his law degree? I'm not sure any school would be willing to admit it at this point...

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
TFred wrote:
ummm.............you think? :banghead:
That Pishko fellow is one sharp cookie, eh? I bet he was at the top of his class in law school... anybody know where he got his law degree? I'm not sure any school would be willing to admit it at this point...

TFred
Pishko's post graduate training continues. :p

I wish Chet all of the best in this.

Yata hey

Thundar

imported post

Disabled vet with family , all lawful conduct, false arrest, harm to disabled vet, city pays big.

In a civil suit the standard for the jury will be who does the jury believe, the police officer who perpetrated a false arrest or the disabled vet who can show physical harm.

I think Pishko will loose again.

His record so far is:

Gun Owners 4 Pishko 0

Pishko is soon going to lose a multimillion dollar suit brought by the hula hoop lady as well.

Man, with such a recalcitrant PD, you would think that the Norfolk City Council would hire a more capable lead counsel!

hsmith

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Disabled vet with family , all lawful conduct, false arrest, harm to disabled vet, city pays big.

In a civil suit the standard for the jury will be who does the jury believe, the police officer who perpetrated a false arrest or the disabled vet who can show physical harm.

His record so far is:

Gun Owners 4 Pishko 0

Pishko is soon going to lose a multimillion dollar suit brought by the hula hoop lady as well.

Man, with such a recalcitrant PD, you would think that the Norfolk City Council would hire a more capable lead counsel!

While not OC related, Norfolk must have unlimited funds to pay out

Police dog bites 4yo - Dog was released into the house because a suspect was believed to be there

http://www.wtkr.com/news/dp-local_dogbrf_0612jun12,0,57423.story

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chet and his fine family are neighbors of ours. He and his wife were subjected to the sleaziest "law enforcement" you can imagine; not the kind of behavior one would expect from professional officers. If I were an LEO, I'd want the NPD to straighten up, and stop sullying the reputation of all. ( I think the Norfolk Sheriff's Dep't played a role in this as well.)

I know Chet sustained some significant injuries while active duty in our Navy, and I also know he isn't the kind of man to make things up or over-dramatize things. If anything, he's more stoic than most. If he says they aggravated his pre-existing neuropathy, he's telling the truth. I'm sure a jury will fully agree with him.

I have no doubt that B. "Matlock" Pishko will claim the officers used furr-lined cuffs (the same they used on Dan) and that they gently massaged his hands and wrists with Intensive Care Lotion, but we all know better than that.

BOHICA, NNPD!

mobeewan

imported post

Thundar wrote:

His record so far is:

Gun Owners 4 Pishko 0

How about a more capable Chief of Police?

Wooley

imported post

When I was stationed at Oceana my neighbor was a NPD officer. He got suspended 2 or 3 times for "excessive force" complaints. He would never expand on it, though he did break his hand one of those times.

Wooley

imported post

When I was stationed at Oceana my neighbor was a NPD officer. He got suspended 2 or 3 times for "excessive force" complaints. He would never expand on it, though he did break his hand one of those times.