Thread: Open Carry in Colorado - Jefferson County D.A speaks out

Post imported post

During a prosecution case - I had the opportunity to sit down with a prosecutor for the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office and ask him about O/C in Colorado per Colorado statues.
    The Prosecutor I spoke with advised me O/C in Colorado is A-Ok! He went on to caution against it unless you expect to have the police called. I am a Fugitive Recovery Agent therefore the only time I plan on O/C is if I have my badge and I.D on me to avoid police activity.
    I was pulled over today and was O/C in Aurora, CO – the police had no problem with it whatsoever.
    Also be cautious of School’s and Government buildings. I would suggest no O/C if you are planning on going just to the store or for a walk… Spend the $$ on a CCW permit – it’s worth it.

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the report, good to hear. It's also legal here for any legal gun owner to have a loaded handgun in his vehicle, in contrast to some other states that allow OC only for pedestrians and not drivers.

Post imported post

bailenforcement wrote:
    During a prosecution case - I had the opportunity to sit down with a prosecutor for the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office and ask him about O/C in Colorado per Colorado statues.
    The Prosecutor I spoke with advised me O/C in Colorado is A-Ok! He went on to caution against it unless you expect to have the police called. I am a Fugitive Recovery Agent therefore the only time I plan on O/C is if I have my badge and I.D on me to avoid police activity.
    I was pulled over today and was O/C in Aurora, CO – the police had no problem with it whatsoever.
    Also be cautious of School’s and Government buildings. I would suggest no O/C if you are planning on going just to the store or for a walk… Spend the $$ on a CCW permit – it’s worth it.
    I don't see what's wrong with OC'ing going just to the store or for a walk. In fact, I think it would be better to do more everyday things like that while OC'ing.

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    bailenforcement wrote:
    I don't see what's wrong with OC'ing going just to the store or for a walk. In fact, I think it would be better to do more everyday things like that while OC'ing.
    I agree, I think that since we're trying to "normalize" OC to the sheeple, the more that we're spotted doing some of the same things that they do, and for the same reasons, we will begin to start becoming "people" in their eyes, not "gun nuts."
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar

Post imported post

Carrying concealed kind of defeats the purpose of raising awareness of open carry, doesn't it? There's nothing wrong with open carrying to the store or when going for a walk.

Rosa Parks could have avoided being hassled by just riding in the back of the bus like she was expected to, but she didn't.

A right unexercised is a right lost.

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    bailenforcement wrote:
    I agree, I think that since we're trying to "normalize" OC to the sheeple, the more that we're spotted doing some of the same things that they do, and for the same reasons, we will begin to start becoming "people" in their eyes, not "gun nuts."

Post imported post

whoops--Triple tap

Post imported post

Kept hitting "send" because it didn't look like it was working.

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    bailenforcement wrote:

Post imported post

Sorry, folks

Post imported post

dang it

Post imported post

Glad you had a sit down with the DA.

I think the point of this site is to promote OC as to be accepted, and not frowned upon. I'm sure most of these guys have a CCW for when needed, but choose to OC as it's easier and is for a good cause - in most cases.

I personally don't OC on my day to day activties. But that's for personal reasons as I'm seeking a career as an LEO, and anything negative related to firearm on my record = no no.

I do OC when out and about in non-populated areas though, more so protection against animals than humans.

Post imported post

Hello, and welcome to the boards.

It's great the the DA agrees that OC is legal. I don't really like that he seems to think that OC will get the cops called, that's just not what happens.

As for no OC if you're just going out for a quick walk, that's just ridiculous. When else am I going to OC? I OC just about everywhere legal. The only places I can but don't is at a couple friends houses (they are pretty uncomfortable with it, I'm trying to fix that. Slowly), and at home when my landlord has friends over (I don't know what his friends think about it, and it's not right for me to cause him problems). But other than those couple places, it's OC all the way, and I've only had a couple problems, the worst of which was with a couple officers working security at the theater in the Aurora mall.