• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A step backward in Colorado Springs

Flyer22

imported post

I was at the Penrose library this morning and saw a newsign prohibiting OC. I talked to one of the security people about it. The signs were actually put up this morning and all branches either have them upby now or soon will.

He said that somebody had complained about the absence of signage. PPLD apparently has had a policy prohibiting OC for some time, butuntil now theyhadn't taken steps to make it valid. (See "Rules for a Safe Environment" on link.)
http://library.ppld.org/AboutYourLibrary/admin/Policies/CodeofConduct.asp

Back several years ago when that guy (Ortega?)started carrying a shotgun into City Council, PPLD administration talked about posting signs, but never did.

He also told me about an incident that happened several years ago when he was on duty.A private investigator OC'ed and a panicked sheeple called the police.

He wasvery friendly anddidn't agree with the policy, but he isn't in a position to affect policy.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

Shit! I just asked them about their policies!

Maybe my comments made them put signs up??

WTF!

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM, wrote:

Ok. Thanks for all your help!

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Dean, Sydne <sdean@ppld.org> wrote:

Dear Mr.:

The Library Board of Trustees approved a policy prohibiting the open carrying of fire arms in October 2003. The policy is based upon Colorado Revised Statute29-11.7-104. Sincerely, Sydne Dean Associate Director of Public Services

On Monday, June 08, 2009 11:31 AM To: Dean, Sydne Subject: Re: Fire arms in the Library

I do thank you for your reply. I am not understanding the ban of openly carried weapons, because Colorado has no such law against them. Thank you,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Dean, Sydne <sdean@ppld.org> wrote:

Dear Mr. :

I have received your question about fire arms. The Library policy states that an open display of weapons is not allowed in the library concealed weapons that are not legally licensed are prohibited in the library. This does follow Colorado Revised Statute 18-12-105 on concealed weapons. Sincerely, Sydne Dean Associate Director of Public Services

hansolo

imported post

I haven't been to the Library since I was like 12, and I remember a metal detector and a guard. I do not want to go, walk through the thing, and get freaking arrested.

Preemption also states that building with metal detectors are gun-free.

Flyer22

imported post

The guy I asked about it didn't give too many specifics, but I gota strongimpression that whoever it was knew about their written policy and was upset that they didn't have the signs up to make the policy enforceable.

hansolo

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
The guy I asked about it didn't give too many specifics, but I gota strongimpression that whoever it was knew about their written policy and was upset that they didn't have the signs up to make the policy enforceable.
I am relived to know that it was probably not me.

Like I said, I was like 12, so I assumed it was a metal detector because you walked through it on your way in.

opencarrybilly

imported post

ccw is not the answer to anything. It's UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!!!!

Woa!! Bill !! Please, folks, forgive the way I said this. Not nice.

For some time now, I have been lamenting the rancor we see in discussions in all kinds of forums and have wished we could all be nicer. Sorry.

I hope you will all accept my apology.