• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headed to VA

Jizzzle

imported post

I'm going to be headed to Langley AFB VAin the near future from Holloman AFB NMfor a class and wanted to make sure I'm going to be doing everything by the book.

I OC mostly and have printed out the little tri-fold that's offered in the Law Archive on this site. I see that you have to OC in places that sell alcohol and food. That's good.

What other stuff is important to know to keep my nose clean?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's not that you have to OC where they sell alkyhaul for on-premises consumption, but that you cannot CC. What's left by default is OC. Virginia is strange in that it only lists the things you cannot do.

Stay out of courthouses, K-12 school grounds (a very small exception if you have a Concealed Handgun Permit [CHP]), secure areas of jails, churches unless you have a "good and sufficient reason" to carry. That just about covers where you cannot OC, except for those private properties that are posted or ask you to leave. Do not ask ahead of time, just go about your business as if it were allowed until & unless they tell you they object.

Check out VCDL's site at http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.htmlfor details on where CC is prohibited.

OC is generally OK in NoVa.

Do a search of the Virginia forum to see why we recommend a good audio recorder. Not an absolute need, but better safe than sorry.

Post the exact dates you will be in the area so the NoVa folks can see about a meet&greet meal with you.

Thank you for your service, even if is in the Air Farce. At least they know enough to throw officers at the enemy.:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

mpg9999

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
I'm going to be headed to Langley AFB VAin the near future from Holloman AFB NMfor a class and wanted to make sure I'm going to be doing everything by the book.

I OC mostly and have printed out the little tri-fold that's offered in the Law Archive on this site. I see that you have to OC in places that sell alcohol and food. That's good.

What other stuff is important to know to keep my nose clean?
Whats the class? Myself and I believe at least one other member on this site work at Langley.

Jizzzle

imported post

its just an instructor class. nothing exciting unfortunately. it's gonna be the second week of july. if you guys have anything in the hampton/newport news area during that time i'd be more than happy to attend.

and yes i do always carry a recorder with me. i learned the hard way. i am still working on my law suit at the moment.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Post the exact dates you will be in the area so the Tidewater folks can see about a meet&greet meal with you.

Thank you for your service, even if is in the Air Farce. At least they know enough to throw officers at the enemy.:lol:

stay safe.

skidmark
Fixed it for you - Langley AFB is in Hampton Va. not NOVA for the directionally challenged amongst us. :lol:

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Don't forget to check with the USAF requirements concerning bringing weapons on base. I'm retired military and do my shopping at Langley.

Have a good time while you're here!

Mike

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Post the exact dates you will be in the area so the Tidewater folks can see about a meet&greet meal with you.

stay safe.

skidmark
Fixed it for you - Langley AFB is in Hampton Va. not NOVA for the directionally challenged amongst us. :lol:

Yata hey
Among other sense I have none of, direction is one of them.

I may cuss at the voice on the GPS, but it has gotten me home from places I did not know existed. I never leave home without it - you guys do not drink milk so having my picture on the carton would do me no good anyhow.

Hampton & environs have good places to eat. Somebody set up a dinner for this poor flyboy coming to visit.

stay safe.

skidmark

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I picked the last place with the not-so-good mexican food on Midget's birthday. I bet Pagan & Dutch Uncle know of some places to eat around here! I'd like to know about them, too!

~Mike

Jizzzle

imported post

i was stationed at langley for 8 years straight and left for NM in 2007. I know of a few places but not sure if they are still around et.

I won't be staying on base. my little brother works on langley and i'll be stayin with him off base thank god. so i won't have to worry about storing my glock at the armory while im there.. lemme say that again.. thank god.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome, in advance!

I guess we could plan on a Tidewater/Peninsula dinner the 2nd week in July. I'm recovering from surgery, and I don't get out much, but if its close by, I probably will. I'm sure we'd all like to hear about your lawsuit, if you care to discuss it. Most of our dinners have been 7 PM on Thursdays, but some on Tue. or Wed. Maybe you could pick a tentative date and we could try to work around that. Our typical choices include the County Grill (great bar-be-cued pork!), Vinnie's Pizza on Rt. 17, Plaza Azteca in NN, and various and sundry other places. Nothing really fancy; we're just salt of the earth types. Oh, and your brother is invited too. We don't have any limitations on that sort of thing.

Your Glock will have to learn to be around Walthers, H & K's, Kimbers and other 1911 types.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Welcome, in advance!

I guess we could plan on a Tidewater/Peninsula dinner the 2nd week in July. I'm recovering from surgery, and I don't get out much, but if its close by, I probably will. I'm sure we'd all like to hear about your lawsuit, if you care to discuss it. Most of our dinners have been 7 PM on Thursdays, but some on Tue. or Wed. Maybe you could pick a tentative date and we could try to work around that. Our typical choices include the County Grill (great bar-be-cued pork!), Vinnie's Pizza on Rt. 17, Plaza Azteca in NN, and various and sundry other places. Nothing really fancy; we're just salt of the earth types. Oh, and your brother is invited too. We don't have any limitations on that sort of thing.

Your Glock will have to learn to be around Walthers, H & K's, Kimbers and other 1911 types.

Jim:

His Glock should feel welcome around it's cousin. Remember Midget wears a .45 cal Glock 21 SF?

~~ Mike

P.S. It was great to see you again at the picnic. We should get together sometime when you're not busy.

wylde007

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Virginia is strange in that it only lists the things you cannot do.
Which is a common flaw in many people's interpretation of law. They think that unless there is a law explicitly allowing a certain behavior, then it must be illegal... that's complete bollocks.

I trust you meant strange as in "correct where so many others are wrong."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Virginia is strange in that it only lists the things you cannot do.
Which is a common flaw in many people's interpretation of law. They think that unless there is a law explicitly allowing a certain behavior, then it must be illegal... that's complete bollocks.

I trust you meant strange as in "correct where so many others are wrong."

You can take the word "strange" any way you want to.:)

I've actually lived in places where the laws were written to list what was permitted - if it was not written down it was verboten. Folks spent all day looking to see if they were allowed to breathe out after breathing in, and turning blue in the meantime.

The nice thing about folks in Virginia who say "There oughta be a law against ___" usually find out there is already something on the books covering it. If we do our job we can keep the General Assembly from making things extra-especially double illegal.

stay safe.

skidmark

Jizzzle

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Welcome, in advance!

I've owned a walther p99qa. didn't like it much. It was a .40 and kicked more than my 10mm glock 20. not sure why. and btw my glock is confident enough in itself to put up with 1911s/hks/kimbers and walthers without complaint. no worries.

as to where, man county grill sounds awesome (i used to frequent the one on the corner of mercury blvdand king st). I haven't had decent BBQ in a long time. don't tell the guys in NM but they don't have a clue about what real BBQ is.

Ya, any night that week is good besides maybe that friday. i have to get up early as hell on that saturday and don't wanna be out to late.

lemme know what you guys come up with.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:

Ya, any night that week is good besides maybe that friday. i have to get up early as hell on that saturday and don't wanna be out to late.

lemme know what you guys come up with.

Most of us are not the "late night" pub crawlers anyway. I don't think that will be a problem!

Jizzzle

imported post

do you guys like the country grill off of J. Clyde or Mercury, from what i remember the on on mercury has better scenery. I looked at the class schedule and the 9th is good to go provided you all are available.

lemme know and I'll bring a buddy from Va that's got a few questions about OC in general. He's sorta freaked out by people that do it in his neighborhood but, in his defense they arn't doing it responsibly. IE they are stuffing oversized chrome semi autos in the front of their pants and walking around like plaxico. not good. i figured it would be good for him to see some responsible people doing it and possibly answer some of his questions.