• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC in Madison

MadisonRebel

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I decided to take the advice of many who had said I should simply OC, and not talk to the management about their feelings about it. After an hour or so at the Deerfield Pistol Range with my father, we stopped at the Metcalfe's Sentry at the corner of University and Midvale. He chuckled when I asked him to wait while I got my weapon ready and holstered. He's a conservative and a pro-2nd guy as well as a Navy vet, but along with others I've talked to, it seems that most men over the age of 50 around here either don't like or don't see the need for OCing.

We were in the store for about 20-30 minutes. He was mainly focused on their quite well-stocked bakery. For the first five minutes or so, I kept an eye out for people coming in my direction to look for reactions. After that, I was mostly busy looking for things I wanted to buy. Nobody spoke to me about the weapon, but I did get a couple of looks that might have been mild shock or surprise. Both were elderly, though, and quite a few of them that shop at that store often look that way. Maybe they've lived in this town too long.

I went through the self-checkout lanes while my father got into one of the main lanes, grousing about the ridiculousness of self-checkout. I had five items and was done in less than a minute. I then waited the additional four minutes for my dad to check out with his one item in the normal lane.

If anyone noticed, they didn't make an issue of it. I did notice one younger guy, early twenties, jogged through the store by me. No idea if that was related, though.

So, there it is. Busted my cherry.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good experience.

As for me, I just received two Blackhawk Serpa holsters in the mail yesterday. One for my 1911 and one for my HK-USPc. Since I haven't gotten my 12 round mags yet for my HK and don't have any great defensive ammo laying about for .357sig, It'll be the 1911 for now. I still haven't went off of my property yet but plan on doing so as soon as I map out those pesky school zones in my city.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congrats! First time is the hardest by far.

My first was in a Wal-Mart during a pretty busy time. I felt like everyone who I walked by had to have seen my gun and was gonna say something. But I bet most of them didn't even see it.

I grabbed a Subway sandwich on the way out, I think the cashier there saw it because she seemed to change how she was acting. Other than that, I didn't see any looks and nobody said anything.

Still get nervous about it, but it's getting better. Long as the manager doesn't come up and talk to me I'll be okay! :lol:

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brass Magnet-
If you carry on private property (all stores) you don't have to worry about the school zones. There could be a school just next door and as long as you aren't out on the sidewalk you are fine.

Carry on!!!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
Brass Magnet-
If you carry on private property (all stores) you don't have to worry about the school zones. There could be a school just next door and as long as you aren't out on the sidewalk you are fine.

Carry on!!!
Yup; I know, but thanks for the heads up. I just want to know were I can walk down the sidewalk. I live in a small town but we've got7 or 8 darn schools. I'd rather walk around town open carrying then having to load and unload because I'm driving everywhere.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Yup; I know, but thanks for the heads up. I just want to know were I can walk down the sidewalk. I live in a small town but we've got7 or 8 darn schools. I'd rather walk around town open carrying then having to load and unload because I'm driving everywhere.
Another reason to get that pesky school zone thing over turned, it would be better for the environment as more of us could/would walk.