• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

23 State Attorneys General To Attorney General Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban

TexasNative

imported post

I've never understood Bill Mims to be much of a 2nd Amendment supporter, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Virginia didn't participate.

"We share the Obama Administration's commitment to reducing illegal drugs and violent crime within the United States. We also share your deep concern about drug cartel violence in Mexico. However, we do not believe that restricting law-abiding Americans' access to certain semi-automatic firearms will resolve any of these problems."

NRA article on this here.

PDF of letter from the participating state Attorneys General (at NRAILA) here.

~ Boyd

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
"We share the Obama Administration's commitment to reducing illegal drugs and violent crime within the United States. We also share your deep concern about drug cartel violence in Mexico. However, we do not believe that restricting law-abiding Americans' access to certain semi-automatic firearms will resolve any of these problems."

The NRA at work....

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

This is the kind of stuff the NRA can do that no one else can. Someone here recently said that "NRA may have marginal political influence..." (Thundar?)

This is not"marginal poltical influence."

Chaingun81

imported post

HankT wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

The NRA at work....

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

This is the kind of stuff the NRA can do that no one else can. Someone here recently said that "NRA may have marginal political influence..." (Thundar?)

I don't often agree with you, but here I do 100%. I never understood NRA-haters here. I agree that NRA might be compromising too much there and here, but damn they are powerful and scary. Whatever anyone else says, without NRA we would be in MUCH WORSE shape.

P.S. For the record, I'm also a GOA member and plan to join VCDL in the nearest future. However, no matter how many more pro-gun groups I'll join, I'll always remain a proud NRA member!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
HankT wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

The NRA at work....

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

I don't often agree with you, but here I do 100%. I never understood NRA-haters here. I agree that NRA might be compromising too much there and here, but damn they are powerful and scary. Whatever anyone else says, without NRA we would be in MUCH WORSE shape.

P.S. For the record, I'm also a GOA member and plan to join VCDL in the nearest future. However, no matter how many more pro-gun groups I'll join, I'll always remain a proud NRA member!

It's really pretty simple although I wouldn't say I'm a hater, more a disillusioned ex (I did rejoin this year to boost their numbers) member.

The NRA never did much in Virginia. Many of us fought for better CHP laws and state oversight of cities like Richmond and Henrico County. It was a stalemate and we made very little progress. The NRA always listened but had bigger fish to fry. My opinion was, that a lot of people went hungry.

Yes they do have clout in certain areas and are needed in some states. VCDL has way more "Clout" in Virginia than the NRA and is growing every year.

I spend more than just my membership with VCDL. Every year I sponsor new members that couldn't or wouldn't pay the dues otherwise. That's the NRA's money that they haven't earned.

It doesn't suprise me that Hank would be an NRA cheerleader. I suspect he followed the Partridge family on tour in years gone by!:p

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
HankT wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

The NRA at work....

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

It's really pretty simple although I wouldn't say I'm a hater, more a disillusioned ex (I did rejoin this year to boost their numbers) member.

The NRA never did much in Virginia. Many of us fought for better CHP laws and state oversight of cities like Richmond and Henrico County. It was a stalemate and we made very little progress. The NRA always listened but had bigger fish to fry. My opinion was, that a lot of people went hungry.

Yes they do have clout in certain areas and are needed in some states. VCDL has way more "Clout" in Virginia than the NRA and is growing every year.

I spend more than just my membership with VCDL. Every year I sponsor new members that couldn't or wouldn't pay the dues otherwise. That's the NRA's money that they haven't earned.

It doesn't suprise me that Hank would be an NRA cheerleader. I suspect he followed the Partridge family on tour in years gone by!:p

VCDL needs to hold membership drives outside of gun shows.

Don't get me wrong, gun shows are where you'll definitely get new members. But just think of how many people would join but don't because they don't even know that the VCDL exists.

How many people would join if Walmart let us set up a booth outside of their store?

Could do a dual charity/membership signup. Maybe find a good cause to donate to while signing up members? Might not happen, could be worth a try though.

Also, don't dispair if Virginia is not on there. There are many other very pro-gun states that are not listed that aren't on their either. Tennessee, Alaska, Vermont, West Virginia... just to name a few that aren't on the list.

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:

Don't get me wrong, gun shows are where you'll definitely get new members. But just think of how many people would join but don't because they don't even know that the VCDL exists.

How many people would join if Walmart let us set up a booth outside of their store?

Could do a dual charity/membership signup. Maybe find a good cause to donate to while signing up members? Might not happen, could be worth a try though.
Perhaps outside the Coliseum :D

Chaingun81

imported post

Peter nap, I hear you and agree with you. In fact, your post makes me wanna join VCDL ASAP. NRA influence in state politics mostly limited to putting off fires or breaking major ice in very anti-gun places (SF, Chicago, DC). But, NRA is REALLY good at putting fear of God into POTUS, Senators and Congressmen, and therefore keeping Feds at bay. The amount of federal anti-gun efforts they kill is truly amazing. And while it might be not as noticeable, it's a huge work no one else has an ability to do.

Actually, the specific story provided in this thread is a perfect example.

After that, true enough, they leave a lot of statewide efforts up to state and local groups - that's the reason to be a member of as many pro-gun groups as one can afford - they all do their job in one way or the other

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Unprecedented !! I never thought I'd live to see the day that State officials would get together to tell the feds to cut it the hell out. Of course, the language is respectful almost to the point of obsequiousness, but the various quotes in the letter simply remind Holder he's 1)out of touch, 2)outgunned, and 3) unconstitutional in his approach. Fantastic. Despite all the left-wing posturing behind the scenes from the administration, the fact is, they've lost their traction on the gun issue and we continue to see our influence expand. We should do what we can to keep the momentum going. I've got one new member for the NRA so far this year. If we all do just that, we can double their numbers and influence. The ammo hoarding and extraordinary sales of "assault weapons" have not been lost on our politicians, and they may be a bit alarmed by what it might represent. Put yourself in their shoes.

The Dems were watching the primary here, and they were probably impressed that some little known (moderately) pro-gun country attorney won an upset over the NOVA leftist and the clintoniod Carpetbagger.

Could the "Era of Big Gun-control" be over?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Unprecedented !! I never thought I'd live to see the day that State officials would get together to tell the feds to cut it the hell out. Of course, the language is respectful almost to the point of obsequiousness, but the various quotes in the letter simply remind Holder he's 1)out of touch, 2)outgunned, and 3) unconstitutional in his approach. Fantastic. Despite all the left-wing posturing behind the scenes from the administration, the fact is, they've lost their traction on the gun issue and we continue to see our influence expand. We should do what we can to keep the momentum going. I've got one new member for the NRA so far this year. If we all do just that, we can double their numbers and influence. The ammo hoarding and extraordinary sales of "assault weapons" have not been lost on our politicians, and they may be a bit alarmed by what it might represent. Put yourself in their shoes.

The Dems were watching the primary here, and they were probably impressed that some little known (moderately) pro-gun country attorney won an upset over the NOVA leftist and the clintoniod Carpetbagger.

Could the "Era of Big Gun-control" be over?
Don't pop the cork on a bottle of champagne just yet, Unc.

I think we have passed a threshold of diffusion and adoptionof the idea that Americans have a superceding right to bear arms. We are not going to go backward on that. There are aquarter of a billion guns in this country. Too many to evermake go away.

But reasonable regulation of firearms and use will, and must be with us forever. The next phase of government/gun owner will be a refining of the regulations concerning ownership, transportation, storage and carry. There are many reasonable restrictions that could be proposed and which we could live with. Or will have to live with. For example, a glaring one is regulation of drinking while carrying. There is no logical reason why the government will not want to regulate law abiding gun carriers in this area. Safety and pre-licensure training are two more areas that we will see new regulation in.

Gun owners have won the war. But the post-war rebuilding will include some new constraints--primarily due to the daily newspaper stories disseminating the antics of the latest LAC who decided to be a goof with a gun.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Dispatcher wrote:

Also, don't dispair if Virginia is not on there. There are many other very pro-gun states that are not listed that aren't on their either. Tennessee, Alaska, Vermont, West Virginia... just to name a few that aren't on the list.

At the last meeting they discussed a program where they are asking members to go to stores and getting pemission to place a little holder full of VCDL applications.

They ask the members to stop by the store periodically to keep the holders stocked.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Dispatcher wrote:

At the last meeting they discussed a program where they are asking members to go to stores and getting pemission to place a little holder full of VCDL applications.

They ask the members to stop by the store periodically to keep the holders stocked.

All I'm sayin' is - VCDL sells for $10 a "membership kit" with application forms, a pen, GSL buttons, and the gun-facts card, all in a nifty plastic box. If you want to make one for yourself that's bigger or smaller, that's up to you.

Where you carry your membership kit is your own business, as is who you talk to.

Sort of like handing out OC cards. You are carrying a bunch of them, aren't you?

stay safe.

skidmark

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:

What about a dual (e.g., VCDL/NRA) drive at a table outside a big box sporting goods or gun shop?

Similar to what the newspaper solicitors at the exits to retail stores...
39.gif

Marco

imported post

HankT wrote:
What about a dual (e.g., VCDL/NRA) drive at a table outside a big box sporting goods or gun shop?
Before you offer suggestions on what we should be doing in VA maybe you should do something.

I have yet to hear about a NJCDL.
We know those subjects could use a GRO.
Are you up for it Hank?
I'd even volunteer to work aJorseyGS with you to promote it.
GS's aren't illegal in Jorsey are they?

Marco

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
Peter nap, I hear you and agree with you. In fact, your post makes me wanna join VCDL ASAP.
So, why haven't you?

Even, if you don't want to volunteer (which is strongly encouraged) your $25 would be put to good use defending YOUR Gun Rights in VA.

IMHO, every gun owner in VA has benefited from the work of VCDL.

http://www.vcdl.org/static/join.html

Don't even have to leave your comfortable chair.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Dispatcher wrote:

39.gif
It would have to be a charity/membership drive. Walmart isn't going to let us sit outside and have a membership drive if there is nothing in it for them.... They'll want a cut.

We must also go to places that have nothing to do with guns as of course you'll get gun owners to join when you are at a gun shop.

We need everyday Virginians to sign up for the VCDL. Like the soccer mom that believes in self defense and actually has nothing against guns but doesn't vote or own a gun.

These people have potential. Its not that they don't like guns, it's just that no one has properly introduced them to firearms. They side with us usually 100% of the time if asked what their views are... but many don't even vote! We need to bring these people into the fold and show them what is at stake.

That is what has caused the huge boom in gun sales.... people who did not own guns and were not politically active saw what Obama might try and got scared. This woke them up and now guns are flying off the shelves.

Most of the guns aren't being bought by veteran gun owners, they're being bought by first time owners. This is what we need! Once you get the average everyday common person with you, there is no limit to what you can do.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:

39.gif
I'd love to see you get the NRA to agree to that proposition.

They're not overly fond of us, apparently having failed to see that they can focus on national issues if we stick with Virginia.

Instead, recommend we look at county fairs and the state fair, or other functions that bring in large numbers of Virginia citizens.

TexasNative

imported post

Do you really think that the NRA would object if you said something along the lines of, "We're setting up a booth at X event to try and get new members for the VCDL. Can we get some forms so we can solicit NRA memberships, too?"

Yeah, if you were to get involved in the money end of things, they might get a little sticky, but I don't think that would have anything to do with any association with VCDL.

~ Boyd

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
HankT wrote:

39.gif
I'd love to see you get the NRA to agree to that proposition.

They're not overly fond of us, apparently having failed to see that they can focus on national issues if we stick with Virginia.

Instead, recommend we look at county fairs and the state fair, or other functions that bring in large numbers of Virginia citizens.
1.) The NRA has state affiliates -- one per state. Good, bad, or indiffernet, VCDL is not their state affiliate. Their Virginia affiliate is Virginia Shooting Sports Association.

2.) I thought the working relationship between NRA and VCDL had improved over the last 1.5 years. Both seemed to work well together on Lobby Day '08 at the gunshow loophole hearing before the VA Senate Courts of Justice committee. That's when the MillionMommies bussed in students from VT to pack the chamber.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
HankT wrote:

39.gif
<snipped>
I think we have drifted waaaay off topic here. If we are going to talk about recruiting members for VCDL we need to either start a new thread or take the discussion off of OCDO to some other board.

I am fully in support of getting more members for VCDL, but we IMO we are just in the wrong place to do it here in this thread.

stay safe.

skidmark