• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC experience was just what I wanted...

FreeRiderInDC

imported post

I would like to ask a question and I dont mean to be a smartass or anything. But do most people who OC not have a CC lic? I know there is a distinct diff in concealed carry and open carry as far as making a statement, or exercising your rights.

I'm just curious if generally the oc'rs are non CC's permit holders?

Respecfully

Thanks..

nova

imported post

FreeRiderInDC wrote:
I would like to ask a question and I dont mean to be a smartass or anything. But do most people who OC not have a CC lic? I know there is a distinct diff in concealed carry and open carry as far as making a statement, or exercising your rights.

I'm just curious if generally the oc'rs are non CC's permit holders?

Respecfully

Thanks..
Most do have CHPs in Virginia (and other states for that matter). I myself don't have a CHP, I'm about 8 months too young in the eyes of the commonwealth, so in order to be armed, I MUST oc to stay legal. Some others do not have a CHP because they feel they shouldn't have to ask permission from the state before exercising a right, and I agree with that view. However I plan on getting my CHP next year anyways just for some other benefits besides concealed carry (exemption from 1 handgun a month law, carrying within 1000ft of a school, carrying concealed in national forests (and soon nat. parks next Feb), carrying in VA Gen.Assembly building for VCDL lobby day, etc.)

Hope this answers your question, and I definately would say that OC lets the public know there are good guys who are armed, not just bad guys and police.

wylde007

imported post

I got a CHP initially out of an unnatural fear of being singled out or ostracized.

Now, knowing what few other benefits it possesses, the only thing I can truly think of that I would keep it for is in case I am OC and accidentally CC... so I'm protected... and when I engineer sound in nightclubs that serve alcohol so I can CC as an "employee" or event sponsor and not have a sidearm flashing about while I'm scrambling all over the stage and rigging.

I still am not sure where the GNL ASSY building comes into play. It's a public building. They cannot restrict you from carrying and the CHP doesn't grant you access, Commonwealth statute does. You can just as easily OC into the GEN ASSY building as far as I'm aware, they just had a separate entrance set up for CHP holders, is all.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I still am not sure where the GNL ASSY building comes into play. It's a public building. They cannot restrict you from carrying and the CHP doesn't grant you access, Commonwealth statute does. You can just as easily OC into the GEN ASSY building as far as I'm aware, they just had a separate entrance set up for CHP holders, is all.
What part of "We're the gummint, and we can make any damn rules we want, punk!" don't you understand? You'd almost think they have to abide by the same laws they pass on us , or something. Sheeesh!

:banghead:

leprechaun117

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
I still am not sure where the GNL ASSY building comes into play.  It's a public building.  They cannot restrict you from carrying and the CHP doesn't grant you access, Commonwealth statute does.  You can just as easily OC into the GEN ASSY building as far as I'm aware, they just had a separate entrance set up for CHP holders, is all.
What part of "We're the gummint, and we can make any damn rules we want, punk!" don't you understand?  You'd almost think they have to abide by the same laws they pass on us , or something.  Sheeesh!

:banghead:

Exactly, Preemption prohibits localities from restricting guns past the state law. The state can make whatever laws it desires.

Virginian683

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
... and when I engineer sound in nightclubs that serve alcohol so I can CC as an "employee" or event sponsor and not have a sidearm flashing about while I'm scrambling all over the stage and rigging.
If you are an employee and have the permission of the club owner, you don't need a CHP to conceal on his premises.

If you don't have his permission, you can't conceal, even if you do have CHP.

(Exceptions granted to LEOs, commonwealth's attorneys and the Harbormaster of Hopewell. Yes, the valiant Harbormaster is one of the Commonwealth's greatest crime fighters.)

In other words, the CHP is void and irrelevant as far as carrying on premises licensed to serve alcohol.