Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: State Attoneys General ltr to U.S. Attorney General Holder

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    927

    Post imported post


    From: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=4971

    23 State Attorneys General To Attorney General Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban"

    Friday, June 12, 2009

    On June 11, the top law enforcement officials of nearly half the states signed a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, expressing their opposition to reinstatement of the federal ban on semi-automatic firearms.

    "We share the Obama Administration's commitment to reducing illegal drugs and violent crime within the United States. We also share your deep concern about drug cartel violence in Mexico. However, we do not believe that restricting law-abiding Americans' access to certain semi-automatic firearms will resolve any of these problems," the letter said.

    The letter notes congressional opposition to bringing back the ban, and calls for increasing enforcement of existing laws.

    We encourage NRA members to let these state officials know we appreciate them standing up to the incessant clamor for gun control that is currently coming from anti-gun groups and their media allies.

    The 23 state Attorneys General, in alphabetical order, by state, are:

    Arkansas – The Honorable Dustin McDaniel
    Alabama - The Honorable Troy King
    Colorado - The Honorable John W. Suthers
    Florida - The Honorable Bill McCollum
    Georgia - The Honorable Thurbert E. Baker
    Idaho - The Honorable Lawrence G. Wasden
    Kansas - The Honorable Steve Six
    Kentucky - The Honorable Jack Conway
    Louisiana - The Honorable James D. Caldwell
    Michigan - The Honorable Mike Cox
    Missouri - The Honorable Chris Koster
    Montana - The Honorable Steve Bullock
    Oklahoma - The Honorable W.A. Edmonson
    Nebraska - The Honorable Jon Bruning
    Nevada - The Honorable Catherine Cortez Masto
    New Hampshire - The Honorable Kelly A. Ayotte
    North Dakota - The Honorable Wayne Stenehjem
    South Carolina - The Honorable Henry McMaster
    South Dakota - The Honorable Lawrence Long
    Texas - The Honorable Greg Abbott
    Utah - The Honorable Mark L. Shurtleff
    Wisconsin – The Honorable J.B. Van Hollen
    Wyoming - The Honorable Bruce A. Salzburg

    And read the actual letter here: http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/Sem...tter061109.pdf

    I encourage everyone to contact the Nevada Attorney General, Catherine Cortez Masto, and thank her for signing that letter.

    To email the Nevada Attorney General’s Office click here: http://ag.state.nv.us/about/contact/form.htm



    Or write:
    Office of the Attorney General
    100 North Carson Street
    Carson City, Nevada 89701-4717




  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    195

    Post imported post

    varminter22 wrote:
    From: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=4971

    23 State Attorneys General To Attorney General Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban"

    Friday, June 12, 2009

    On June 11, the top law enforcement officials of nearly half the states signed a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, expressing their opposition to reinstatement of the federal ban on semi-automatic firearms.

    "We share the Obama Administration's commitment to reducing illegal drugs and violent crime within the United States. We also share your deep concern about drug cartel violence in Mexico. However, we do not believe that restricting law-abiding Americans' access to certain semi-automatic firearms will resolve any of these problems," the letter said.

    The letter notes congressional opposition to bringing back the ban, and calls for increasing enforcement of existing laws.

    We encourage NRA members to let these state officials know we appreciate them standing up to the incessant clamor for gun control that is currently coming from anti-gun groups and their media allies.

    The 23 state Attorneys General, in alphabetical order, by state, are:

    Arkansas – The Honorable Dustin McDaniel
    Alabama - The Honorable Troy King
    Colorado - The Honorable John W. Suthers
    Florida - The Honorable Bill McCollum
    Georgia - The Honorable Thurbert E. Baker
    Idaho - The Honorable Lawrence G. Wasden
    Kansas - The Honorable Steve Six
    Kentucky - The Honorable Jack Conway
    Louisiana - The Honorable James D. Caldwell
    Michigan - The Honorable Mike Cox
    Missouri - The Honorable Chris Koster
    Montana - The Honorable Steve Bullock
    Oklahoma - The Honorable W.A. Edmonson
    Nebraska - The Honorable Jon Bruning
    Nevada - The Honorable Catherine Cortez Masto
    New Hampshire - The Honorable Kelly A. Ayotte
    North Dakota - The Honorable Wayne Stenehjem
    South Carolina - The Honorable Henry McMaster
    South Dakota - The Honorable Lawrence Long
    Texas - The Honorable Greg Abbott
    Utah - The Honorable Mark L. Shurtleff
    Wisconsin – The Honorable J.B. Van Hollen
    Wyoming - The Honorable Bruce A. Salzburg

    And read the actual letter here: http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/Sem...tter061109.pdf

    I encourage everyone to contact the Nevada Attorney General, Catherine Cortez Masto, and thank her for signing that letter.

    To email the Nevada Attorney General’s Office click here: http://ag.state.nv.us/about/contact/form.htm



    Or write:
    Office of the Attorney General
    100 North Carson Street
    Carson City, Nevada 89701-4717


    I am happy to hear this, but 23 out of the 50 states does not constitute the majority. I don't want to ask but that tool AG in Kalifornia signed it, I will assume.

    Being a Latina, Catherine Cortez Mastro's vote means a lot. It's not about the Mexican drug wars. They can get weapons anytime they want. All it takes is money. This is about our rights being violated. Since I live in Kalifornia, I am pretty much screwed already, but I will e-mail God himself to prevent it from spreading. Nobody should be subject to what Kalifonians have to deal with. I want to leave, but financial and family concerns will make it impossible for some time.



  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    Yes, but 23/50 states constitutes enough of a majority to block any constitutional conventions. And with recent activity (supreme court decision, credit card bill, state sovereignty claims) it's seeming more and more like a constitutional amendment is quickly becoming the only way to further infringe upon our 2A rights.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    195

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    Yes, but 23/50 states constitutes enough of a majority to block any constitutional conventions. And with recent activity (supreme court decision, credit card bill, state sovereignty claims) it's seeming more and more like a constitutional amendment is quickly becoming the only way to further infringe upon our 2A rights.
    I hope so. I really do.

    Playing devil's advocate can be a problem sometimes.




  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    My biggest fear is a constitutional convention called for other reasons, such as gay marriage. Once it's open (the convention), any topic can be discussed.........

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    195

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    My biggest fear is a constitutional convention called for other reasons, such as gay marriage. Once it's open (the convention), any topic can be discussed.........
    Heaven forbid!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    927

    Post imported post

    calmp9 wrote:
    I am happy to hear this, but 23 out of the 50 states does not constitute the majority. I don't want to ask but that tool AG in Kalifornia signed it, I will assume.
    Note the list of AG signers. California is not on the list.

    "Nearly half" is NOT "half" - But I think this is one helluva good step in the right direction.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    927

    Post imported post

    Here is the SFA "thank you" letter I/we sent to the NV AG. (Sorry, the formatting didn't copy/paste very well.)
    [size=



    Stillwater Firearms Association



    P. O. Box 665


    Fallon NV


    89407

    June 16, 2009



    Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto

    100 N Carson St

    Carson City NV

    89701-4717



    Dear Madam Attorney General,


    On behalf of the 565 member Stillwater Firearms Association, I want to thank you for signing the States Attorneys General letter of June 11, 2009, expressing opposition to the reinstatement of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994’s semi-automatic firearms prohibition.



    We must all remain committed to defending our constitutional rights; indeed, Second Amendment rights may be the most important of the Bill of Rights. As President George Washington said,


    “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the

    peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”



    As the Attorneys General letter alluded, we have ample laws. Perhaps President Thomas Jefferson said it best,


    “The laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”



    Thank you, Madam Attorney General, for your support of our precious Second Amendment rights.



    Sincerely,




    J. L. Rhodes




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •