• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Attoneys General ltr to U.S. Attorney General Holder

varminter22

imported post

From: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4971

23 State Attorneys General To Attorney General Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban"

Friday, June 12, 2009

On June 11, the top law enforcement officials of nearly half the states signed a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, expressing their opposition to reinstatement of the federal ban on semi-automatic firearms.

"We share the Obama Administration's commitment to reducing illegal drugs and violent crime within the United States. We also share your deep concern about drug cartel violence in Mexico. However, we do not believe that restricting law-abiding Americans' access to certain semi-automatic firearms will resolve any of these problems," the letter said.

The letter notes congressional opposition to bringing back the ban, and calls for increasing enforcement of existing laws.

We encourage NRA members to let these state officials know we appreciate them standing up to the incessant clamor for gun control that is currently coming from anti-gun groups and their media allies.

The 23 state Attorneys General, in alphabetical order, by state, are:

Arkansas – The Honorable Dustin McDaniel
Alabama - The Honorable Troy King
Colorado - The Honorable John W. Suthers
Florida - The Honorable Bill McCollum
Georgia - The Honorable Thurbert E. Baker
Idaho - The Honorable Lawrence G. Wasden
Kansas - The Honorable Steve Six
Kentucky - The Honorable Jack Conway
Louisiana - The Honorable James D. Caldwell
Michigan - The Honorable Mike Cox
Missouri - The Honorable Chris Koster
Montana - The Honorable Steve Bullock
Oklahoma - The Honorable W.A. Edmonson
Nebraska - The Honorable Jon Bruning
Nevada - The Honorable Catherine Cortez Masto
New Hampshire - The Honorable Kelly A. Ayotte
North Dakota - The Honorable Wayne Stenehjem
South Carolina - The Honorable Henry McMaster
South Dakota - The Honorable Lawrence Long
Texas - The Honorable Greg Abbott
Utah - The Honorable Mark L. Shurtleff
Wisconsin – The Honorable J.B. Van Hollen
Wyoming - The Honorable Bruce A. Salzburg

And read the actual letter here: http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/SemiAutostateAGsLetter061109.pdf

I encourage everyone to contact the Nevada Attorney General, Catherine Cortez Masto, and thank her for signing that letter.

To email the Nevada Attorney General’s Office click here: http://ag.state.nv.us/about/contact/form.htm

Or write:
Office of the Attorney General
100 North Carson Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701-4717

calmp9

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
From: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4971

23 State Attorneys General To Attorney General Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban"

Friday, June 12, 2009

On June 11, the top law enforcement officials of nearly half the states signed a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, expressing their opposition to reinstatement of the federal ban on semi-automatic firearms.

"We share the Obama Administration's commitment to reducing illegal drugs and violent crime within the United States. We also share your deep concern about drug cartel violence in Mexico. However, we do not believe that restricting law-abiding Americans' access to certain semi-automatic firearms will resolve any of these problems," the letter said.

The letter notes congressional opposition to bringing back the ban, and calls for increasing enforcement of existing laws.

We encourage NRA members to let these state officials know we appreciate them standing up to the incessant clamor for gun control that is currently coming from anti-gun groups and their media allies.

The 23 state Attorneys General, in alphabetical order, by state, are:

Arkansas – The Honorable Dustin McDaniel
Alabama - The Honorable Troy King
Colorado - The Honorable John W. Suthers
Florida - The Honorable Bill McCollum
Georgia - The Honorable Thurbert E. Baker
Idaho - The Honorable Lawrence G. Wasden
Kansas - The Honorable Steve Six
Kentucky - The Honorable Jack Conway
Louisiana - The Honorable James D. Caldwell
Michigan - The Honorable Mike Cox
Missouri - The Honorable Chris Koster
Montana - The Honorable Steve Bullock
Oklahoma - The Honorable W.A. Edmonson
Nebraska - The Honorable Jon Bruning
Nevada - The Honorable Catherine Cortez Masto
New Hampshire - The Honorable Kelly A. Ayotte
North Dakota - The Honorable Wayne Stenehjem
South Carolina - The Honorable Henry McMaster
South Dakota - The Honorable Lawrence Long
Texas - The Honorable Greg Abbott
Utah - The Honorable Mark L. Shurtleff
Wisconsin – The Honorable J.B. Van Hollen
Wyoming - The Honorable Bruce A. Salzburg

And read the actual letter here: http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/SemiAutostateAGsLetter061109.pdf

I encourage everyone to contact the Nevada Attorney General, Catherine Cortez Masto, and thank her for signing that letter.

To email the Nevada Attorney General’s Office click here: http://ag.state.nv.us/about/contact/form.htm

Or write:
Office of the Attorney General
100 North Carson Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701-4717
I am happy to hear this, but 23 out of the 50 states does not constitute the majority. I don't want to ask but that tool AG in Kalifornia signed it, I will assume.

Being a Latina, Catherine Cortez Mastro's vote means a lot. It's not about the Mexican drug wars. They can get weapons anytime they want. All it takes is money. This is about our rights being violated. Since I live in Kalifornia, I am pretty much screwed already, but I will e-mail God himself to prevent it from spreading. Nobody should be subject to what Kalifonians have to deal with. I want to leave, but financial and family concerns will make it impossible for some time.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, but 23/50 states constitutes enough of a majority to block any constitutional conventions. And with recent activity (supreme court decision, credit card bill, state sovereignty claims) it's seeming more and more like a constitutional amendment is quickly becoming the only way to further infringe upon our 2A rights.

calmp9

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Yes, but 23/50 states constitutes enough of a majority to block any constitutional conventions. And with recent activity (supreme court decision, credit card bill, state sovereignty claims) it's seeming more and more like a constitutional amendment is quickly becoming the only way to further infringe upon our 2A rights.
I hope so. I really do.

Playing devil's advocate can be a problem sometimes.

calmp9

imported post

timf343 wrote:
My biggest fear is a constitutional convention called for other reasons, such as gay marriage. Once it's open (the convention), any topic can be discussed.........
Heaven forbid!

varminter22

imported post

calmp9 wrote:
I am happy to hear this, but 23 out of the 50 states does not constitute the majority. I don't want to ask but that tool AG in Kalifornia signed it, I will assume.
Note the list of AG signers. California is not on the list.

"Nearly half" is NOT "half" - But I think this is one helluva good step in the right direction.

varminter22

imported post

Here is the SFA "thank you" letter I/we sent to the NV AG. (Sorry, the formatting didn't copy/paste very well.)
[size=[quote]

[align=center]Stillwater Firearms Association

[/align]

[align=center]P. O. Box 665[/align]

[align=center]Fallon NV
[/align]

[align=center]89407[/align]
June 16, 2009

Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto

100 N Carson St

Carson City NV

89701-4717

Dear Madam Attorney General,

On behalf of the 565 member Stillwater Firearms Association, I want to thank you for signing the States Attorneys General letter of June 11, 2009, expressing opposition to the reinstatement of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994’s semi-automatic firearms prohibition.

We must all remain committed to defending our constitutional rights; indeed, Second Amendment rights may be the most important of the Bill of Rights. As President George Washington said,

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the

peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”

As the Attorneys General letter alluded, we have ample laws. Perhaps President Thomas Jefferson said it best,

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm those only who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

Thank you, Madam Attorney General, for your support of our precious Second Amendment rights.

Sincerely,

J. L. Rhodes
[/quote]