• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC, anything to ease nerves?

k-lo

imported post

timf343 wrote:
k-lo wrote:
it's normal to have butterflies, howeveri have some personal rulesthathelp avoid confrontation from fellow citizens or worst LEO's.

1. dress appropriately. I tend to dress away from clothing that stereostypes with someone as a troublemaker.

2. be polite and courteous. nothing sets other people's minds at ease more than a polite person even if he has a gun.

3. walk/talk in an appropriate manner.

4. Act normal, don't mind your firearm. It's there it won't leave you.

BTW i'm a long time lurker here and i open carry almost everywhere in vegas. Hello to everyone. :celebrate
Hi k-lo

Welcome!

I like your advice, especially #4. Know it's there, know how to use it, and pay it no attention. I also use this advice if someone asks me a vague question like "What's that?", acting like I have no idea why they're questioning me. It personally helps me create the mindset, as much for them as for myself, that wearing a gun is no more unusual than wearing shoes.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the welcome. Exactly! right? Different people come up to you to question you about your gun. If you just act alittleindifferent (not ignorant) then you'll be fine. If you keep thinking about it then you'll act weird in front of people. IMHOI don't really need to fully explain myself to every civilian that questions me. The other day a woman sittingat a table next to mine during lunchtold me she was afraid of my gun. I just smiled at her and told her the gun's not coming out of the holster.

Btw Tim, I like reading all your stories. You supplied a good part of confidence in my open carry.

Karlo