• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shoulder holsters

uncledrew23

imported post

hi im new to this and was wonding if a shoulder holster can be used for OC if u only have a short sleeved shirt on and have it above ur clothes or what holsters are a semi acceptable type im a leather holster person and im thinking along those lines

AaronS

imported post

I would love to say yes, but I would not try it just yet. Thats just me though, and I am sure we will be seeing some with a shoulder rig soon...

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Some would argue that if you have a brand name shoulder holster the straps that go around your shoulders are very visible and in turn do bring attention to the holster and fire arm therefore, making the fire arm more visible as well.
One could argue that while carrying a holster on your hip your arm could potentially cover the fire arm therefore concealing it in the same manner that a shoulder holster would conceal it.
My advice to you is to try it out and see if you are comfortable with it just do not cover it up with a coat or jacket.
Not walking around with your hands in the air does not constitute concealing the fire arm.
There is no specific rule that the fire arm has to be carried on your hip.
I have personally carried with both types of holsters.

Woodchuck

imported post

I have looked and looked and I can't find anything that defines "concealed" in any WI Statute. Going to call DOJ on Monday.

I do know that in many states with CC laws, if any piece of the firearm is visible, it is no longer considered concealed and you are breaking the law of your CC permit. I think in Florida your gun can't even "print" onto an outer layer of clothing , if it does it is not considered concealed.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

If they can see the gun and recognize it as a gun, it's not concealed. I think shoulder holsters are ok, if you wish, but a vertical holster would be preferable over a horizontal holster for OC, otherwise your muzzle is pointing at whatever is behind you-- faux pas!

smithman

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
If they can see the gun and recognize it as a gun, it's not concealed. I think shoulder holsters are ok, if you wish, but a vertical holster would be preferable over a horizontal holster for OC, otherwise your muzzle is pointing at whatever is behind you-- faux pas!
Agreed. If you OC with a shoulder holster, I highly suggest a vertical only. If you CC with a shoulder holster, I suggest a horizontal as it is more ergonomic for removing the firearm.

Just bear in mind, shoulder and thigh holsters are more intimidating to the general public than a hip holster.

Woodchuck

imported post

smithman wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
If they can see the gun and recognize it as a gun, it's not concealed.  I think shoulder holsters are ok, if you wish, but a vertical holster would be preferable over a horizontal holster for OC, otherwise your muzzle is pointing at whatever is behind you-- faux pas!
Agreed.  If you OC with a shoulder holster, I highly suggest a vertical only.  If you CC with a shoulder holster, I suggest a horizontal as it is more ergonomic for removing the firearm.

I would rather not point the gun at the people behind me and especially not at myself all day and stay away from shoulder holsters all together.

shoulder and thigh holsters are more intimidating to the general public than a hip holster.
Curious as to the source for this please.