• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Locations to Open Carry

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First, I'm in La Crosse county. But most of the places I go and would like to carry in are chains. Since I tend to try to always avoid conflicts and hate talking to people I don't know...I'd like to know that these places will hopefully accept my open carrying before going. But I'm NOT going to ask them, so I'll ask you guys!

I know Wal-Mart is good, I've OCed there several times already. Others have said Gander Mountains is good too.

Anyone have any experience at these places:

Marcus Theaters?

Perkins?
-Pretty sure they don't serve alcohol. Most other restaurants I eat at do.

Kohls?

Target?

Best Buy?

Valley View Mall? (for those in the La Crosse area)
-I haven't seen a sign, and can't find anything on their website. But I know they have security guards...even though they aren't armed.

Banks?
-I've always wondered...cause seems like the last place I'd want to open carry, but legally, can you?

And a big question I need answered is this...Below is WTC's Code of Conduct. I know I can't have a weapon on school property, but is inside my trunk considered school property? Or am I safe to have my gun in there while I go to class? I know the 1000 foot rule is there too, but I guess does my trunk count as my private property which would make me safe?

Western Technical College's Student Code of Conduct
The College will take action to prevent and stop any negative behavior that inhibits learning as a result of:
-Use, possession, or distribution of drugs, alcohol, firearms, explosives, dangers chemicals, or other weapons; and/or use of tobacco on campus property.

Thanks in advance!

smithman

imported post

Marcus Theaters? I have not carried here.

Perkins? The Perkins on Hwy 83 has welcomed myself and some of my friends. We have eaten breakfast there openly armed.

Kohls? I have not carried here.

Target? I have had no problems with carrying here.

Best Buy? I have had no problems with carrying here.

Valley View Mall? (for those in the La Crosse area) Many people have OCed at Brookfield square mall and I have not heard anything negative.

Banks? I OC at my local Chase bank and haven't had issues. Given that banks are targets for armed thieves, it seems one is more at risk in a bank without security than in other places like retail stores.

And a big question I need answered is this...Below is WTC's Code of Conduct. I know I can't have a weapon on school property, but is inside my trunk considered school property? Or am I safe to have my gun in there while I go to class? I know the 1000 foot rule is there too, but I guess does my trunk count as my private property which would make me safe? First of all, WTC is not a school to which the school zone restriction applies in the definition of the law. This is becuase it is not a K-12 school. No, your trunk or car interior is not considered private property in the eyes of the law. Given they prohibit firearms on campus property (includes parking lot) you may be out of luck. Without knowing the consequence of keeping a firearm in the car, only you can decide if your life on the way to/from school is worth whatever consequence may be dished out as a result of keeping your gun locked in your trunk during classes.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the replies.

I don't go to my bank very often, but I was just wondering because since they are a place that would get robbed, you'd think they might be more scared when they do see a non-uniformed person walk in with a gun.

For school, would parking on the street make a difference? During the summer I have a night class and could probably easily find parking on the street. During fall/spring semesters, I almost have to park in the parking lot and still have a hard time finding a spot.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

The school zone law only applies to schools meant for educating grades k-12 technical colleges do not apply.
Who is going to know you have your fire arm in the trunk unless you tell some one?
In order for anyone to search your trunk they would need a search warrant unless they have probable cause to believe that you have committed a crime.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
The school zone law only applies to schools meant for educating grades k-12 technical colleges do not apply.
Who is going to know you have your fire arm in the trunk unless you tell some one?
In order for anyone to search your trunk they would need a search warrant unless they have probable cause to believe that you have committed a crime.
Wasn't sure if Wisconsin was just k-12 or not for schools. So good to know we aren't as retarded of a state as I thought.

Woodchuck

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Statute # ??

Not doubting that this is the case, just haven't heard this b4.

EDIT Found it

948.61 Dangerous weapons other than firearms on
school premises. (1) In this section:
(a) “Dangerous weapon” has the meaning specified in s.
939.22 (10), except “dangerous weapon” does not include any
firearm and does include any beebee or pellet−firing gun that
expels a projectile through the force of air pressure or any starter
pistol.
(b) “School” means a public, parochial or private school which
provides an educational program for one or more grades between
grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary
school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or
high school.
(c) “School premises” means any school building, grounds,
recreation area or athletic field or any other property owned, used
or operated for school administration.

I have carried without incident all but once in LaCrosse

Ace Hardware 3x

Quillins 1x

Home Depot 1x

Farm & Fleet 1x

Alltel Store by Quillins 1x

South Side Walmart 1x second time I was asked by manager to disarm I've OCed in there 1x since

Tractor Supply in Viroqua 1x

WalMart in Viroqua 5x

smithman

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
This is correct. If you keep it in your trunk out of view, just tell no one, not even your best friend. Coupled with not consenting to a search, you will be doubly covered.

Parking on a street next to campus property will not subject you to the same prohibitions as campus property.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J. Gleason: Read the statutes before you quote them. The school zone law only applies to grades 1 through 12. It does not include Kindergarten.

Woodchuck

imported post

Lammie

I haven't been to all schools but every one I know of that has a kindergarten, also has a 1st grade. Around me anyway, that point is useless. But, you correctly point out, it does specify 1st grade and not kindergarten. I think the point J Gleason really meant to point out is that colleges don't apply.

But I was born & raised in smalltown America and not to familiar with the city living.

JG

imported post

On June 23rd I ate my last piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken. When I sat down to eat I noticed a sign on the door"No Hand Guns Allowed". When I finished I asked an asst. mgr. If this was there policy or company policy. He told me company!

JG

imported post

I forgot to mention this was in Mtn. Home, Ark. We dont have OC but we do have CC.

Remember this when come down here fishing on Bull Shoals lake and Norfork Lake.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

JG wrote:
On June 23rd I ate my last piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken. When I sat down to eat I noticed a sign on the door"No Hand Guns Allowed". When I finished I asked an asst. mgr. If this was there policy or company policy. He told me company!
I briefly searched kfc.com for "firearms" and got two hits in contest rules but saw no clear mention of company firearms policy.

Personally, 'fast food franchise' is enough to keep me away. Maybe the most recent visit to a FFF for me was to Maurice Bessinger's BBQ.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

JG wrote:

That last piece should have been years ago,

Since Pepsico is the parent company behind KFC, Taco Bell, and pizza hut. They have donated alot of money and offered supportto the likes of Rosie O'donnel and her gun grabbing type.

I will post a few references to back-upthis statement at a later time, I am heading out the door for a meeting shortly.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Anyone have any experience at these places:

Marcus Theaters?

Perkins?
-Pretty sure they don't serve alcohol. Most other restaurants I eat at do.

Kohls?

Target?

Best Buy?
I've OC'd multiple times at Kohls Target, and Best Buy.

But honestly... A store name is just a name. People are people. Different people in different places.

Carry ON! and make sure people in new places see and experience the non-eventful law-abiding nature of open carry.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well this is stupid....

My PMs are disabled, and enabling doesn't turn it on. I can't edit my posts, and I can't reply to most posts, but for some reason I can to this one. I even made a new account, and it was the same way. I also tried using IE8 instead of FireFox. Also didn't work.

Anybody have any ideas on whats going on here?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Err I can't even edit the one I just posted!

Here's my error message when I click Reply, New Topic, or Edit for a post:

Sorry, you do not have permission to edit your own posts in this forum. You may probably perform this action after you login. If you are not a member, you can register here. If you are already logged in then the administrator of the board does not allow this action. Should you have any questions, please contact jpierce@speedscape.com.

I tried e-mailing him but it came back as non-deliverable.

...and YES I am logged in...

XD WFB

imported post

Hello all - While I'm brand new to the forum, certainly not new to the issue! Hailing in the substantially, "war is not the answer" suburb of WFB, I'm curious whether anyone on the north shore has information on carrying in this vicinity? I have no desire to cause the WFBPD to visit me and be the 1st to challenge issue in the Village (as I'm pretty certain I would be..). I believe in our rights, of course, but with kids, mortgage, disabled wife, unemployed, yada, yada...can't afford to be 1st test! (sigh).

Before being here, never had issues, as never had any challenges while in uniform or near base.
My philosophy? Semper Carry!