• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why have a gun in a hotel room? Two robbers die after Norfolk hotel gunfight with CHP holder.

ChinChin

imported post

What (or whom) would be the determining factor in civil immunity? I would assume that should the DA decline to criminaly pursue the matter to trial; that civil immunity would then be "active?"

Somebody help me understand how that works?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Basically civil immunity says that you cannot be sued if the shooting was determined (by Commonwealth Attorney, Grand Jury or trial) to have been either justified or excusable.

In the best of worlds that extends to merely wounding the BG as well as covering killing the BG.

Hope this simple answer covers it for you.

stay safe.

skidmark

Virginian683

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
Cooley died from a gunshot wound to the back
Hear's hoping they don't call it murder because the guy was shot in the back. Personally I think all criminals, who have no honor, deserve to be shot in the back -- but the commonwealth's attorney may not see it that way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Basically civil immunity says that you cannot be sued if the shooting was determined (by Commonwealth Attorney, Grand Jury or trial) to have been either justified or excusable.

In the best of worlds that extends to merely wounding the BG as well as covering killing the BG.

Hope this simple answer covers it for you.

stay safe.

skidmark
A thought worth remembering come the next GA session.

Yata hey

Tomahawk

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Hear's hoping they don't call it murder because the guy was shot in the back. Personally I think all criminals, who have no honor, deserve to be shot in the back -- but the commonwealth's attorney may not see it that way.

Depends on whether the guy was trying to run away or still trying to fight or do harm.

While back-shooting is generally considered to be dishonorable, it really only refers to shooting somebody who isn't a threat and wasn't aware of your cowardly intentions.

In a real fight, one can think of many situations in which a guy can get shot in the back. Especially if he is attacking someone whom you are trying to defend. A Marine fighter pilot once told me that the best air-to-air kills aren't the ones where the pilots zoom around the sky like the Red Baron, seeing each others' eyes in a classic dogfight dual. The best ones are the ones where the other bastard never sees it coming, when you come at him from his blind spot and wack him so he can't shoot back.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

Depends on whether the guy was trying to run away or still trying to fight or do harm.

While back-shooting is generally considered to be dishonorable, it really only refers to shooting somebody who isn't a threat and wasn't aware of your cowardly intentions.

In a real fight, one can think of many situations in which a guy can get shot in the back. Especially if he is attacking someone whom you are trying to defend. A Marine fighter pilot once told me that the best air-to-air kills aren't the ones where the pilots zoom around the sky like the Red Baron, seeing each others' eyes in a classic dogfight dual. The best ones are the ones where the other bastard never sees it coming, when you come at him from his blind spot and wack him so he can't shoot back.
There's also a very well documented argument that when someone sees he's about to get shot he instinctively wheels around to protect his front side. Thusly getting shot in the back....

mobeewan

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

He could argue that he got shot at the same time he fired causing him to miss his initial targetand hit the otherguy in the back.;)