• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry on a bike

No1

Banned
imported post

lockman wrote:
Doug, would the WI definition of vehicle include a wheelchair? ADA civil rights complaint?
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/Statutes/Stat0340.pdf

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

lockman wrote:
Doug, would the WI definition of vehicle include a wheelchair? ADA civil rights complaint?
http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0167.pdf
167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and
bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:

[ ... ]

(h) “Vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74), and
includes a snowmobile, as defined in s. 340.01 (58a), and an electric
personal assistive mobility device, as defined in s. 340.01
(15pm), except that for purposes of subs. (4) (c) and (cg) and (4m)
“vehicle” has the meaning given for “motor vehicle” in s. 29.001
(57).

[ ... ]

(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS. (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may
place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a
motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded
or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying
case.
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess
or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle,
unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or
crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J. Gleason:

There is no mention of motor vehicle in 167.31(2)(b). It says vehicle as defined by statute 340.01(74).

(b) Except as provided in $xhitlist_md=target-id=0-0-0-186371]sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

340.01(74)
(74) "Vehicle" means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains. A snowmobile or electric personal assistive mobility device shall not be considered a vehicle except for purposes made specifically applicable by statute.

smithman

imported post

340.01 (74)
"Vehicle" means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains. A snowmobile or electric personal assistive mobility device shall not be considered a vehicle except for purposes made specifically applicable by statute.

340.01 (22)
"Highway" means all public ways and thoroughfares and bridges on the same. It includes the entire width between the boundary lines of every way open to the use of the public as a matter of right for the purposes of vehicular travel. It includes those roads or driveways in the state, county or municipal parks and in state forests which have been opened to the use of the public for the purpose of vehicular travel and roads or driveways upon the grounds of public schools, as defined in 115.01 (1) and institutions under the jurisdiction of the county board of supervisors, but does not include private roads or driveways as defined in sub (46).

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

lockman wrote:
Now, back to the question. No. It appears to me I ANAL that a wheelchair is not a vehicle.

How about a Segway? Defined as an EPMAD and not a vehicle (unless it's somewhere else in the statutes). But not sufficient for me to have one, I'd rather walk armed.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

lowdog wrote:
I can see the logic in the law of no carry in cars and trucks. I cant see why you would be restricted on motorcycles. After all LE would be able to clearly see that you were carrying on a bike.

Becuase the legislators obviously think verylittle of us! Becuase we are all seen as criminals. if Bubba with the 3' beard and covered in tattoos is a scary enough image for them, how dare he be able to go armed legaly too!:cuss:

opusd2

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
lockman wrote:

How about a Segway? Defined as an EPMAD and not a vehicle (unless it's somewhere else in the statutes). But not sufficient for me to have one, I'd rather walk armed.

Now come on, if Paul Blart Mall cop doesn't carry while on his Segway...

That was an interesting question if not just for the fact that there aren't a LOT of those contraptions out there, but the numbers are higher than one might think.

And on my motorcycle, right or wrong, everywhere is in reach. I don't usually carry saddle bags anymore since I tend to run a lot leaner when it comes to luggage. So there are more creative solutions to carrying. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as when I lived in WY and just strapped it to my waist loaded and ready to go. You know, I really hate remembering how easy it was and how good I had it out there.

SprayAndPray

imported post

lowdog wrote:
I can see the logic in the law of no carry in cars and trucks. I cant see why you would be restricted on motorcycles. After all LE would be able to clearly see that you were carrying on a bike.

Then you have no logic.....

What sense does it make to restrict a RIGHT just because you are travelling?

SprayAndPray

imported post

lowdog wrote:

lowdog

imported post

You figured that I have no logic all from one sentence??

I will type slower for you.:p
I can understand the logic while not agreeing with it at the same time. You see now??

SprayAndPray wrote:
lowdog wrote:

SprayAndPray

imported post

lowdog wrote:
You figured that I have no logic all from one sentence??

I will type slower for you.:p
I can understand the logic while not agreeing with it at the same time. You see now??

SprayAndPray wrote:
lowdog wrote:

Nope.... Type as slow as you want , there is no logic to it....

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

SprayAndPray,Do you post here just to create or addsome conflict to your life and others? I currently cannot recall any posts by you that were not some sort of bashing.

If you are looking for conflict, may I suggest you find another forum wherepersonal attacks on peoplewould bemoreappropriate. (if there is any such forum)

We at OCDO are trying to work together as individuals, and as a grouptowards a common goal. And that goal istoprotect our rights while the current government is trying their best to erode them.
With your frequent inflammatory statements you are really not helping too much and I ask that you either stop the attacks now, or leave the discussion entirely.

Do you treat and speak topeople in personwiththe same mannerisms as you communicate with themin this forum? I have very little tolerance for people that frequently bash and attack others verbally on a public forum, and wayless tolerance for someone that speaks toothers that way in person.

If your bashing continues, I will request that you be removed from OCDO altogether.

SprayAndPray

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
SprayAndPray,Do you post here just to create or addsome conflict to your life and others? I currently cannot recall any posts by you that were not some sort of bashing.

If you are looking for conflict, may I suggest you find another forum wherepersonal attacks on peoplewould bemoreappropriate. (if there is any such forum)

We at OCDO are trying to work together as individuals, and as a grouptowards a common goal. And that goal istoprotect our rights while the current government is trying their best to erode them.
With your frequent inflammatory statements you are really not helping too much and I ask that you either stop the attacks now, or leave the discussion entirely.

Do you treat and speak topeople in personwiththe same mannerisms as you communicate with themin this forum? I have very little tolerance for people that frequently bash and attack others verbally on a public forum, and wayless tolerance for someone that speaks toothers that way in person.

If your bashing continues, I will request that you be removed from OCDO altogether.

He made a statement that made no sense.... I called him on it and he still has not attempted to make any clarification, Sorry if my mannerism are not foo foo enough for you .... Still butt hurt over the car carry discussion i see?

Get over it........