Thread: 22 rifle question

Post imported post

Not strictly an OC question, but gun-related. I have a chance to pick up a Marlin model 25 bolt-action 22 on the cheap. I'm nominally a collector and I don't own a 22 of any kind for the present. I wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for a cheap 22 rifle. Ruger 10/22s are nice, but they cost a bit more than I wanted to spend for a rimfire. A pump-action would be nice, but they aren't as common as they were when I was a kid. Maybe a Marlin model 60... can't decide.I just want something for beer can sniping - don't need a fancyfloating-stainless-steel-fluted-bull-barrel or the like. I don't know that I have a preference for action type - bolt or semi would be fine. Any recommendations? problems?things to look out for?

-ljp

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

10/22 all the way. I've got two of them, one I converted to 17MII. I talked my friend into buying one this year even though he was worried about the price as well. If you keep your eyes peeled you should be able to find a good used one for $180-$200. I remember when new ones were $150....should have bought a few more.

Anyway, they're fun to shoot, plenty accurate enough for plinking in stock configuration and if ever you should decide to make a tack driver out of it there are almost as many accessories availlablel as AR-15's

I've also got a Remington Nylon66, another older remington semi-auto with the tube fed magazine, a Remington fieldmaster pump 22 and an old bolt action Marlin. They hardly ever get used.

The best thing about the tube fed magazine rifles is if you want to shoot 22 shorts or CB's. 21 shorts will fit in my Rem pump. The semi-autos are single shots with the shorties.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Yeah, I sell these things all the time, but I haven't actually used any rimfire stuff since I was a kid. I was hoping to find something decent for <=$100 (I can get the Marlin 25 for $50 with a spare mag.) The boss here would want $150 or so for a Ruger, and they do have a lot of accessories... tough call.

-ljp

Post imported post

Well it depends.

.22's in semi, bolt, pump and lever actionare great forthe purpose of training on the cheap with something similar to a centerfire rifle.

The .22 rifle is a great tool, whatever configuration you decide on.

Many used bolt action .22 rifles can be found for <$100.

I've sold all my .22 semi auto rifles (except one)and replaced them with .22 kits.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I've got the marlin 25N, w/ 4x32 Tasco Silver Antler Awesome little gun, very accurate. have had a couple semiauto,but someold used onescan misfeed,misfire,and stovepipe on ya if they have lots of wear, and havn't been cleaned properly.butI prefer the bolt. I think I paid $143.00 for it new many years ago.

Post imported post

While not exactly in the < $100.00 range. I have to mention the Henry Lever Action. I paid $208.00 for mine and it's worth every penny. (though it had been a while since I bought a .22 and had a bit of sticker shock initially)
    They also sell a nice looking pump action for around the same price that looks pretty good.

I LOVE this little rifle.. Now if only my wife hadn't instantly adopted it as hers...

Guess it will be easier to just go buy another one.

Post imported post

The Henry pump does sound interesting (I learned to shoot on a pump 22 as a kid), but I can get more common types dirt-cheap through the shop here. Tough call.

-ljp

Banned

Post imported post

I love my 10/22. There's so much available for it, it's like shooting a Honda.

Post imported post

I have a 10/22 equipped with a Tasco Pronghorn scope that I wanted to go try take a couple toikeys wit last November but all the blogging I did in a (vain but fun) attempt to keep the Bama from getting into the White House precluded it.

RUGER 10/22 YESYESYESYESYES!!!!! Superb product and I can drive tacks with it at 100 yards with that Pronghorn scope. When I DO go after turkey (rifles are okay in most parts of Virginia) I won't need a lot of camo as 75-100 yards is enough to make the critters feel safe. I think, because I have never hunted turkeys before, just spotted them but seems to me that 75+ yards is enuf to avoid spooking them.

But I can tell you that with an old Weaver "Quik-point", shooting at flushed Wabbits with snap-shots is awesome. As to turkeys, I like the fact that there are not - or rather if I manage to get one (or two - I can dream!) there wont be the hazard of shot breaking some kid's teeth at the Thanksgiving feast. I am pretty dang confident that I can put one right at the base of the neck. If anyone thinks different please enlighten me. AND DONT YALL DARE CALL ME A FUDDER!!

Anyway I think it should be mandatory that every household in these United States have a 10/22. Unless you are doing Olympic competition shooting it is absolutely positively the best general-purpose .22 rimfire rifle extant. I love my 10/22; if it could cook and clean I would marry it. (and yes there are those who know I have said the same thing about my Walther P.38. Does that make me a bigamist, or a closet Mormon??):celebrate

Banned

Post imported post

Shut it, Elmer.

Post imported post

if you are interested in a pump you should look around for a Rossi pump. It's not possible to wear one out in a life time. They are very much like the old Winchester pumps that they used to call gallery guns. Rock solid. Accurate. EASY to clean/lube. Not good for a scope though.

Post imported post

I have several Marlins. They're cheap enough to buy several and they run flawlessly, and are very accurate. I have two model 60s, the old one without the last-shot bolt-lock and a new one with. They are both fun little guns.

I would go with the Marlins again, too. You don't need to pay more than a small amount to get a .22 that does everything you expect it to. The money I saved buying Marlins allowed me to buy other guns.

My .22s:

Marlin 60
    Marlin 60S-CF
    Marlin 925
    Marlin 882SSV (.22 WMR)
    some old Winchester single-shot

Post imported post

"Not strictly an OC question, but gun-related. I have a chance to pick up a Marlin model 25 bolt-action 22 on the cheap. I'm nominally a collector and I don't own a 22 of any kind for the present. I wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for a cheap 22 rifle".

Yup. Get the Marlin. It will serve your interests and you can't beat the price.

Banned

Post imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
    I love my 10/22. There's so much available for it, it's like shooting a Honda.

You really can't go wrong with a 10/22. It's worth every penny of the $100 more than you wanted to spend.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Yea, 10/22's are like a$$holes. Everyone has one and if they don't there's something seriously wrong. :what:

10/22's are one of the best and most versatile rimfire rifles out there. You can buy one for $150 spend some more if you get bored with it and turn it into something like this

That's not mine but pretty close to what I'm looking into doing to mine.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

I'm less than crazy about how you have to sort of "feather" the bolt when changing mags and charging the chamber.
    Is there another magazine-fed .22 semiauto that you guys like?

Post imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
    I'm less than crazy about how you have to sort of "feather" the bolt when changing mags and charging the chamber.
    What do you mean?? Locking the bolt open and releasing it from the locked position IS a little tricky, but other than that I have no prob whatsoever ejecting a spent mag, inserting another, and firing away. Hey, with the 10/22 you have TEN SHOTS to accomplish whatever your purpose in shooting may be. Personally speaking that is NINE shots more than I am actually going to need.

Banned

Post imported post

Ten shots with a stock magazine.

Plenty more if you go aftermarket.

Activist Member

Post imported post

I've got a Henry lever-action rifle. It is a lot of fun and it holds 15 rounds.
    http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001_leveraction.cfm

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    Overtaxed wrote:
    What do you mean?? Locking the bolt open and releasing it from the locked position IS a little tricky, but other than that I have no prob whatsoever ejecting a spent mag, inserting another, and firing away. Hey, with the 10/22 you have TEN SHOTS to accomplish whatever your purpose in shooting may be. Personally speaking that is NINE shots more than I am actually going to need.
    That's what I meant... sorry for not articulating well. My only/first experience with a 10/22 was at a rental range outside of San Francisco, and I was surprised that the bolt was released in that manner, as you described.
    I'm by no means an advocate of spray and pray, but I just wanted to know if there's a semiauto .22 that doesn't have that feature, since it could potentially be a hindrance to a quick mag change.

Post imported post

I shot a Honda once.....The owner was pissed...........

Post imported post

Well, the bolt stays closed after the last shot. Change mags, rack the bolt, fire. The bolt goes riight home in fact it is a bit difficult to lock it open. No need to lock it open between magazines, unless you need to "show clear" or are cleaning it.

Post imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
    Yea, 10/22's are like a$$holes. Everyone has one and if they don't there's something seriously wrong. :what:

10/22's are one of the best and most versatile rimfire rifles out there. You can buy one for $150 spend some more if you get bored with it and turn it into something like this

That's not mine but pretty close to what I'm looking into doing to mine.
    I'm sorry, but can you make the picture bigger because,

I CAN'T SEE IT !!!!!!!!!

Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I shot a Honda once.....The owner was pissed...........
    I'm surprised the owner was pissed.

I can already hear HankT saying something about a goof with a gun.

:P