• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FOR ALL YOU PRIVILEGE SEEKERS

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason:

Smithman is correct. We will never have a Vermont style right to keep and bear arms. The reason: The state supreme court rulings in Hamdan. I have included pertinent paragraphs below. In short the Courtsays that Article I section 25 of the State Constitution is not an unfettered right. It is subject to reasonable state regulation. Regulation that will be judged by the courts as applied.

Paragraph 45 the Court says that even under Article I section 25 the state has the authority to regulate the manner of carry.

Paragraph 71 implies that the State only has to provide a manner of carry not all manners of carry.

It could very well mean that at some point in time we will have to make a decision as to which manner of carry we wish to have shielded by the contitution. I personally would prefer a Vermont style but the perponderance of "police power" in this state will never let that happen.

¶41. Article I, Section 25 does not establish an unfettered right to bear arms.
Clearly, the State retains the power to impose reasonable regulations on
weapons, including a general prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons.
However, the State may not apply these regulations in situations that
functionally disallow the exercise of the rights conferred under Article I,
Section 25. The State must be especially vigilant in circumstances where a
person's need to exercise the right is the most pronounced. If the State applies
reasonable laws in circumstances that unreasonably impair the right to keep and
bear arms, the State's police power must yield in those circumstances to the
exercise of the right. The prohibition of conduct that is indispensable to the
right to keep (possess) or bear (carry) arms for lawful purposes will not be
sustained.

¶45. In analyzing reasonableness, one must balance the conflicting rights of an
individual to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes against the authority of
the State to exercise its police power to protect the health, safety, and
welfare of its citizens. See Dano v. Collins, 802 P.2d1021, 1024 (Ariz. Ct. App.
1990); People v. Blue, 544 P.2d 385, 390-91 (Colo. 1975); Rawlings v. Ill. Dep't
of Law Enforcement, 391 N.E.2d758, 763 (Ill. Ct. App. 1979) (balancing the
sufficiency of the individual's interest in possessing arms with the legislation
restricting exercise of that interest); City of Seattle v. Montana, 919 P.2d
1218, 1224 (Wash. 1996); Buckner, 377 S.E.2d at 148-49; see also Michael D.
Ridberg, The Impact of State Constitutional Right to Bear Arms Provisions on
State Gun Control Legislation, 38 U. Chic. L. Rev. 185, 202-03 (1970) ("The
scope of permissible regulation in states with arms provisions is dependent upon
a balancing of the public benefit to be derived from the regulation against the
degree to which it frustrates the purposes of the provision."). In State v.
McAdams, 714 P.2d 1236 (Wyo. 1986), the Wyoming Supreme Court explained this
need for balance as follows:
[A] balance must be struck between the individual's right to exercise each
constitutional guarantee and society's right to enact laws which will ensure
some semblance of order. As these interests will necessarily conflict, the
question then becomes which party should accept the encroachment of its right.
The solution to the conflict is judicial in nature. Courts must be and are,
whether willingly or not, the ultimate arbiters as to whether or not there is,
in a particular case, an unwarranted invasion of constitutionally guaranteed
rights.
Id. at 1237-38. We agree with this characterization of the constitutional
inquiry, including the indispensable role of courts in determining whether
enforcement of the CCW statute has unreasonably impaired the constitutional
right.

¶46. Under its broad police power, Wisconsin may regulate firearms. It may
regulate the time, place, and manner in which firearms are possessed and used.
The concealed weapons statute is a restriction on the manner in which firearms
are possessed and used. See State v. Perez, 2001 WI 79, 244 Wis.2d582, 628
N.W.2d820. It is constitutional. We hold that only if the public benefit in this
exercise of the police power is substantially outweighed by an individual's need
to conceal a weapon in the exercise of the right to bear arms will an otherwise
valid restriction on that right be unconstitutional as applied.

¶71. In circumstances where the State's interest in restricting the right to
keep and bear arms is minimal and the private interest in exercising the right
is substantial, an individual needs a way to exercise the right without
violating the law. We hold, in these circumstances, that regulations limiting a
constitutional right to keep and bear arms must leave some realistic alternative
means to exercise the right.

Also: I held a FFL for 30 years. The federal goverment does not register firearms. It is prohibited from doing so by federal law. The National Instant Check System and the multi-page 4473 form, that must be complied with and filled out when purchasing a firearm from a FFL dealer, is frequently considered by some as a firearm registration process. Unless a firearm has been used in a crime within 18 months of purchase all record of it's purchase must be destroyed by law.

PT111

imported post

I realize that this is a OC board but the on thing that I have never understood is why so many people fight so hard for OC, most states allow unrestricted OC and so many are satisfied with OC yet when CC is mentioned it is almost like you have committed a mortal sin. The BOR says to Bear Arms, it doesn't say only openly. That is a Macho deal much like the British accusing Francis Marion of dirty warfare when he didn't make his men stand up in a line to be slaughtered.

If you are truly a 2A proponent then you will not be satisfied with only being able to OC and quit condemning those that would rather CC. That is one thing I will say good about SC, if you are on private property it doesn't matter if you OC or CC, especially unlike some places where it is illegal to CC inside your own home.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

How does this sound,
I would be willing to pay a fee to be able to carry my firearm, Bot onlyif everyone else in this country was required to pay a fee, or pass an intelligence test to exercise their right to vote!

We wouldn't be in the situation we are currently in if passing a training course to be able to vote was the law of the land!That would have weeded out several classes of people! And I think our 2A rights would not even be a debatable issues if that were the case!

Imagine if people were forced to pay to vote!!

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 and J. Gleason:

In my previous post I tried to get the point across that under Article I section 25 the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that we do not have a constitutional right to conceal carry. We only have the constitutionally protected right to open carry. In the cases of State v. Cole and State v. Hamdan, both decided in 2003, the Court said that even with the enactment of Article I section 25statute 941.23,which prohibits concealed carry of weapons, is constitutional. The Court says it is constitutional because it is aregulation on the time, place and manner of carry and not the right to carry. I don't agree with that, but that is now case law. Therefore any action by the legislature to provide a privilege to conceal carry has no impact on our right to keep and bear arms because the Court says we don't have a constitutional right to conceal weapons in the first place. If you had done your homework and read previous posts on this issue you would have learned that nobody on this forum would support replacing our right to open carry. with a privilege to conceal carry. A conceal carry privilege has always been discussed in terms as an individual elected option, providing it leaves our open carry right intact.

From Hamdan:

¶5. We are asked to determine what effect, if any, a new amendment to the
Wisconsin Constitution has on the State's ability to prosecute and punish the
carrying of concealed weapons. The new amendment, Article I, Section 25,
declares that the people have the right to keep and bear arms for lawful
purposes. While Wis.Stat.§941.23 (the CCW statute) withstands a facial challenge
to its constitutionality under the amendment, see State v. Cole, 2003 WI 112,

¶48. Wisconsin's current CCW statute is very broad. It is essentially a strict
liability offense.20 The legislature has not authorized any statutory defenses
or exceptions (other than peace officers) to the broad prohibition found in the
statute. As presently construed, the statute prohibits any person, except a
peace officer, from carrying a concealed weapon, regardless of the
circumstances, including pursuit of one of the lawful purposes enumerated in
Article I, Section 25.
In addition, the statute reaches unloaded firearms as
well as loaded ones, see Wis.Stat.§939.22(10) (defining a "dangerous weapon"
under the CCW statute), and applies to any weapon within a individual's reach,
see Asfoor, 75 Wis.2dat 433-34, if the person knows the weapon is present.

From Cole:

¶28 Having laid out the appropriate standards for our analysis, we move now to application of the test. We face the same task many other state courts have already taken on——to determine whether, in balancing the authority of the state to enact legislation for the health, safety and welfare of the public as implemented here through the CCW statute against the right to bear arms, the legislature has gone too far and unreasonably impinged the constitutional right to bear arms. See, e.g., Dano v. Collins, 802 P.2d 1021 (Ariz. Ct. App. 1991) (concluding that the prohibition of concealed weapons does not frustrate that state's constitutional right to bear arms). We conclude that the CCW statute is a reasonable regulation on the time, place, and manner in which the right to bear arms may be exercised. It does not unreasonably infringe upon a citizen's ability to exercise the right.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
We wouldn't be in the situation we are currently in if passing a training course to be able to vote was the law of the land!That would have weeded out several classes of people! And I think our 2A rights would not even be a debatable issues if that were the case!
bigdaddy1 wrote:
Unfortunatly we ALL pay for their right to vote:cuss:
Heck, lets go further than the training class. We could do it based on IQ.

Specify a minimum IQ to be allowed to vote. Maybe, say, oh, 100.

IQ would be easier to manage since it is a singlestandardizedand validated criterion.

And if things aren't going well after awhile, we could simply raise the threshold--to 110, then 115, etc.

:p

opusd2

imported post

Not to be a pain in the ass, but has anyone read what passed through in the latest budget? An increase in the the charge to see if you are worthy enough to purchase a new handgun.

opusd2

imported post

HankT wrote:

IQ would be easier to manage since it is a singlestandardizedand validated criterion.

And if things aren't going well after awhile, we could simply raise the threshold--to 110, then 115, etc.

Let's just make it easier and mandate a standard IQ for candidates. It may trim the field a bit, but it's worth a shot

imported post

HankT wrote:

Further evidence of HankTroll's two digit IQ understanding of IQ and statistics. Variations of less than a standard deviation are difficult to detect and arguably insignificance. Hence, HankTroll's ability to function with a slightly sub-normal IQ.

As another here has brilliantly written, "Either we are equal or we are not."

Nutczak

imported post

HankT wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:
Unfortunatly we ALL pay for their right to vote:cuss:

Hank I would be happy if the minimum IQ cutoff to vote was 85, because what we currently have happening is people votingthat are under thelevel of which is consideredretardation. they cannot and do not understand the issues at stake.

Does anyone know why the change to lower the IQ levels for what is considered retarded or sub-grade happened? I will discuss it in PM's or e-mail if anyone is interested. it s too far off-topic for this forum.

PT111

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Hank I would be happy if the minimum IQ cutoff to vote was 85, because what we currently have happening is people votingthat are under thelevel of which is consideredretardation. they cannot and do not understand the issues at stake.

Does anyone know why the change to lower the IQ levels for what is considered retarded or sub-grade happened? I will discuss it in PM's or e-mail if anyone is interested. it s too far off-topic for this forum.
IQ has nothing to do with being able to understand the issues at stake. In fact sometimes it is the exact opposite. Think of how many college professors you consider not to understand the issues. However I am in favor of a return to the litteracy test.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Aristotle was famous for knowing everything. He taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons.

icon_blank.gif
Will Cuppy

wrightme

imported post

Without regard for the source of the topic of this thread, the underlying issues are valid for discussion.

The 2nd Amendment is a Right of the people. The wording of it does not support regulation, as in the requirement for issuance of a permit for concealed carry. The wording of it likewise does not support regulation, as in a requirement for issuance of a permit for open carry. Many such regulations are most likely in place as a means to implement de-facto registration, and also to set a bar for exercise of this Right. Whether it ends up being a test, or a fee, requiring a minimum intelligence (test) or a minimum wealth level (fee) or a proficiency level IS a restriction upon exercise, and should be termed to be an "infringement."

Those who argue for OC only, and not CC due to the licensing permit process fail to see that such permits are really an infringement that limit the method of exercise. Many such permit processes are also accompanied by a relief from some location restrictions. Also, now such permits allow creation of a defined "lawful activity" if the permit is not present. i.e., sans permit, CC is not a "lawful activity," so any OC in relation to this "unlawful concealment" now can be termed to be a crime.

"Either we are equal, or we aren't."

OC is the main topic of this forum. CC is also a firearms-related topic that should not be discussed with any derision.

smooth

Opt-Out Members
imported post

No worries Wisconsin, your inability to organize as a serious lobbying entity has shown that we are in no danger of getting neither the right nor the privelage to carry a firearm here.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

smooth wrote:
No worries Wisconsin, your inability to organize as a serious lobbying entity has shown that we are in no danger of getting neither the right nor the privelage to carry a firearm here.
There's no danger of a literate statement either. I have no desire to participate in pay-to-play 'lobbying' politics. You will lose due to lack of gravitas.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smooth wrote:
If you have nothing positive to contribute then please just be quiet. Btw, I thought you wanted your account deactivated? What happened to that?

258Troll_spray.jpg

smithman

imported post

smooth wrote:
My friend, you are gravely mistaken.

If I remember correctly you are not a Wisconsinite. I have some advice I wish to pass on: don't judge those whom you do not know.

The entire OC world is talking about us in Wisconsin right now and the great things that are happening. It is clear you don't support OC, so leave us be.

Nutczak

imported post

I hate to say it guys, Smooth is pretty much correct!

We are incapable of organizing as a group! look at the arguments in the last few months over C-C & O-C , We are fighting amongst oursleves, it has escalated from heated discussion and evolved into heated arguments.

Look at what happended to the Madison gathering that a member of the 2A sisters was planning!

I am sure many of us would like the ability to C-C legally without fear of arrest and court time. But currently all we have available to us is O-C, and many people in govt are trying to make that right go away too.
Barret called us a "Special Interest Group" whichshows he thinks less of people exercising their 2A rights than he Does of group that goes by the name "NAMBLA" (google it, you'll be sickened)

Smooth makes a statement to try and point out the foolish arguing and lack of initiative as a group! and he is called a troll be a few select people.

My guess is that Smooth is trying to light a fire under each and every one of our asses to mobilize and secure our right to O-C, and later down the road maybe get C-C as a legal option too.

I mentioned this before, Go sniff around in the MI thread, They have organized very well and have meetings, walks and meals together all the time. They also do several picnics each month usually aiming at cities where a members rights were violated. they seem to be standing up for each other in several situations. Not arguing among themselves. Our participant count is dropping daily! Why do you think that is?