• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwaukee Police Checkpoints

Patriotman

imported post

http://onmilwaukee.com/politics/articles/politics060509.html
http://www.wisn.com/news/19269129/detail.html
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/33201184.html
http://www.wrn.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=5F5077A7-740E-4301-B933C10923087AF0

American Civil Liberties Union opposes them because they say there's no evidence they result in fewer fatalities and they intrude upon the privacy rights and quality of life of innocent motorists stopped at the checkpoints.
They try to sell it like its a good things and its to help. How does one fight this?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Fight them? They're illegal in Wisconsin, so let's keep them that way. They should be illegal everywhere in my opinion. Write to your representatives, speak out against them in the papers, do whatever you can to keep the law from changing.

If they do pass:

1) Drive sober, as you should anyway.

2) Learn where the checkpoints tend to be set up, and avoid them.

3) If stopped in one, show them your drivers license, say little more than "hello" and "goodbye", do not consent to a search.

smithman

imported post

I listen to 95 WIIL out of Kenosha often, they often relay if listeners call in and point out any Police checkpoints in Kenosha county, since the radio staff does not agree with such checkpoints.

Our founding fathers would at least say terrible things to police leaders who set up checkpoints. Of course the State's excuse is "what do you have to hide?"

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I have never been part of a :uhoh:"Mandatory safety checkpoint":uhoh: in WI. But I have ran intoa fewof them in Ill-Annoy. I have been threatened with bodily injury and arrest, detained for near an hour in many cases because I refused to consent to searches or answer any questions such as 'Where are you coming from/going to". it pisses them off to no end. I kinda enjoy seeing the many different shades of purple I can get a rude policeofficer to turn from anger.

The latest one was in Mchenry IL, on Rte 12 & Johnsberg rd. It was a common route for people returning from Alpine Valley for a concert, or coming from Lake Geneva. They block the entire road and roll people into the fire dept parking lot. They come up and shine a bright light in your eyes and then ask "Why are you squinting?" I was outraged by the behavior of the police at the checkpoints and refused to do anything more than hand over my license and registration. They also asked for proof of insurance which I refused to show because it is not required to show proof in WI. I also kept my doors locked and only opened my window enough to slide out my license. I do not drink or partake in any other questionable extracurricular activities, So I can afford to "not cooperate" as they put it. I call it "not letting them trample on my rights"

If WI is starting this crap, I will fight tooth and nail to put an end to it. If I hear of any of these checkpoints in my area, I will go visit just to make their lives a little more special.:cool:

Rick Finsta

imported post

smithman-

Are you saying that police have set up checkpoints in Waukesha? State law does not allow for checkpoints. Funny thing, though. IL was told they couldn't use checkpoints, either, and they still do. SCOTUS has said no checkpoints for "general law enforcement concerns." Unfortunately, they said that sobriety checkpoints were not "general law enforcement concern," that they are a safety issue or some such nonsense...

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ive been in IL a few times and have seen checkpoints checking for seatbelts. cops sitting at the on ramp during rush hour.. all they did was hold up traffic. everyone could see them and just slip the seatbelt on as they drove up... what a waste.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I enjoy doing a legal 3 point u-turn within site of the checkpoint.
Drags away at least 2 cars for the 'chase', and they can't stand that I
haven't done anything but refused to be forced to "show my papers"

Wife wouldn't let me make a citizens arrest on the last one I was stuck in.
Sheriff was impersonating a state trooper, who was the only entity allowed
to stop a vehicle on the highway. Sometimes being henpecked is a problem.

But I love that I don't show them my DL, it is so much fun watching them
go purple with rage, when I point out state law requires ID, and I have shown
you a valid state ID. Now if you care to tell me the vehicle code I am charged
with violating I will then show a DL.
AL seems to be one of the few if only state that allows you to have both ID and DL.
It is a shame I was to young to get a lifetime HI license, that would be so much
fun with a teenage picture in my old age, and to be safe from these spyware
cards they are trying to pawn off on us.

I miss the good old days when I could drive on my international license. I used it
to buy booze in neighboring state that would not allow people from my state
to buy liquor, so I used the law to my advantage and went around the state DL.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Ah yes, my daughter was stopped in a South Beloit, Illinois checkpoint a few years back and the trooper saw on the back of her driver's license that there was a restriction on how many people she could have in the car with her. The trooper did not notice, however, that the restriction had an automatic expiration date also, that the expiration date was long past, and did not want to listen to my daughter pointing those facts out. Nor did the state trooper verify whether the restrictions were valid. So the trooper had the car, which is registered to me, towed away, leaving my daughter and her friends stranded far from home in the middle of the night in that hell hole of a town. Needless to say, I was not pleased when I was awakened by my daughter's phonecall and had to drive to S. Beloit at 1:30 a.m. It was a good thing that the drive down took just barely enough time for me to cool off slightly or I would have ripped that trooper a new one on the spot. And I might have still done that, except the state trooper who screwed up had gone off duty prior to my arrival. The checkpoint was still in operation however with several county and state units. I asked the nearest county seargent who was in charge of this idiotic operaton and he pointed to a state trooper. He was sympathetic, but said there he was nothing he could do since it was the other trooper's call on my daughter's license. Well, I ended up waking up the guy who had towed the car, paid $150 to get the car released and we headed back to Wisconsin. Next day I made the simple verification (that the trooper neglected to do) that my daughter had no restrictions on her license. I contacted the IL state police office for that area, talked to a sergeant, then a lieutenant, then a captain. It didn't take long for them to figure out they had screwed up and understood why I was angry and ready to sue. They apologized and told me I'd have to make a claim with the state, but then decided they'd contact one of the state lawyers to try bypass that drawn-out process. A check was sent in short order.

So, that's my experience with these lovely checkpoints. An incompetent state trooper, instead of doing her job carefully, was willing to strand a carload of kids in the middle of a night, in a parking lot, in another city, in another state.

It is well known that police use such tactics as fishing expeditions. They don't give a crap that people have a light burnt out on their license plate, but they sure like to use such little things as an excuse to stop you and snoop around. With checkpoints they don't even need a flimsy excuse to stop you. It's just one small step closer to the creation of a police state in my opinion.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

It is well known that police use such tactics as fishing expeditions. They don't give a crap that people have a light burnt out on their license plate, but they sure like to use such little things as an excuse to stop you and snoop around. With checkpoints they don't even need a flimsy excuse to stop you. It's just one small step closer to the creation of a police state in my opinion.
I agree.

And its CASE IN POINT why people should NEVER speak to the police. The laws against self-incrimination are not made to protect the guilty from themselves. They are meant to protect the innocent from the police.

Cops make mistakes. The less information you share with them the less opportunity they have to make a mistake with it. I don't know if in your daughters case she had a choice. I know there are instances when you don't have to show ID ora DL, I'm not sure if a checkpoint is one of them. I think they need reasonable suspicion to ask for ID.

I'm going to become a broken record as I intend to post these links more often because I think they are so valuable: (and they've been posted before but worth the repeat post)

Do not speak to the police... Ever:part 1:www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

part 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE

Checkpoint video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFS7oZtE8Ks

Great video about knowing your rights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA