• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible move from Ohio to Arizona.. what to know?

DJ_Amish

imported post

I am looking to relocating to Phoenix Arizona... What do I need to know about the gun laws. Is there a good site where I can learn about the city. I am in process right now of getting my nursing endorsement in Arizona. Not sure how long that takes. I was told that there are plenty of nursing jobs avail. I would appreciate any info that anyone has. Thanks.

Amish

Dahwg

imported post

My wife is a nurse, and yes they're always hiring pretty much everywhere. Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the United States and we Tucsonans tease them about many things (especially when it comes to college sports) but it is a fine city to live. Kind of like a mini LA without all the liberals. Somehow we ended up with every bleeding heart and his boyfriend down here in Tucson. :cuss:

Anyhow, gun laws are pretty simple. In a nutshell:

• If you're not a prohibited possessor you can OC (OC means plainly visible so as to put everyone on notice you are armed).

If you want to carry concealed, there is an 8 hour course to get your CWP, requires finger prints and a background check.

Can't carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. (soon to change)

Can't carry in parks if they're posted unless you have a CWP.

Can't carry on school grounds.

Can't carry at a polling place on election day.

State preemption is in force.

Beyond that, get yourself a copy of the book Arizona Gun Owners Guide by Alan Korwin (Bloomfield Press) and definitely join AZCDL.

http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html

GWbiker

imported post

DJ_Amish wrote:
I am looking to relocating to Phoenix Arizona... What do I need to know about the gun laws. Is there a good site where I can learn about the city. I am in process right now of getting my nursing endorsement in Arizona. Not sure how long that takes. I was told that there are plenty of nursing jobs avail. I would appreciate any info that anyone has. Thanks....Amish
I'm told by friends who are RN's that Arizona hospitals are begging for Nurses and pay generous moving expenses and other perks. You must enter into a contract, or course. and agree to work 12 hour shifts. All decent hospitals have a web site with job details.

Arizona Gun laws, you asked? Just bring your guns and ammo.

AZkopper

imported post

Unless you really love big cities, I'd recommend looking in more rural areas (Prescott, Flagstaff, Globe, Safford, etc). Better quality of life, IMHO.

DJ_Amish

imported post

Well I am only going to phoenix because my friend offered me a free place to stay until i get settled. so once i start working and exploring out there i will possibly move around. Basically i am in process now of getting my AZ nursing license and then will lfly out in a couple of months to check things out. if i am happy then come back pack up a few of my things and drive out.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

July is not the month I would recommend to come to Arizona to see how you like it! There are many good parts of Arizona, some like the cities and some like the country.

When I first came to Arizona, I thought "What a god forsaken place!" but after 20 years, it rather grows on you.

Michigander

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
Unless you really love big cities, I'd recommend looking in more rural areas (Prescott, Flagstaff, Globe, Safford, etc). Better quality of life, IMHO.

That's a masterpiece of understatement. The valley is too much like LA. It's much more free than LA, but it's still filled with LA types, and smog. I found it easier to breathe at 8000 feet elevation than on the streets of Phoenix.

The problem is having a marketable skill in a rural area. AZ's wages, on average, are the 49th lowest in the US, and jobs are much harder to get outside of the valley. I found myself working in rural AZ at times, but for steady employment in building trades work I had to live in the valley.

It's my goal to live in Prescott after I get done with my degree. I could settle for Santa Fe if I got a good job offer, but I've never seen a community I like better than Prescott. I especially love how close by it is to the National Forest. I can't imagine a nicer lifestyle than being able to hike and ride the trails there every weekend.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You should check out Payson (Gila County) and other areas of the Rim Country.

TOF

imported post

Sonora is giving you good advice. We old decrepit folks need your help up here in the high, cool, green and remote parts of the state. I had to work in Phoenix and surounding communities or similar for many years. All that time I wanted to live in Arizona's high country where I am finally able to be. :) Too bad that I'm almost to old to enjoy it. :X