• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

Deanimator

imported post

When I first moved to Ohio in the summer of 1986, there was an incident which hardened my opinions regarding the lie of police "protection" and the need to be able to defend yourself.

A Black lady and her kids moved into a previously all White neighborhood, in Parma, I think. Right from the start, she was harassed by a few of her neighbors. There was a steadily escalating pattern of threats, vandalism and eventually arson.

Finally, on the 4th of July, a drunken mob surrounded her home and began pelting it with rocks, bottles and fireworks, trapping her and her children inside.

The woman repeatedly called the police, to no apparent effect. The mob continued to surround her house, bombarding it without any interference.

Finally, in desperation, the woman called a friend on the east side of Cleveland. The friend tossed his 12ga. pump into the trunk and headed west.

Arriving in the neighborhood, he saw the mob still surrounding the house, still throwing rocks, bottles and fireworks. Parking up the street, the friend retrieved his shotgun from the trunk and started up the street toward the house.

Upon reaching the rear of the mob, he shouldered his firearm and gave the hooligans a "whiff of grape" a la Bonaparte. The crowd suddenly remembered pressing business elsewhere and dispersed, leaving three wounded. At THAT point, police responded and arrested the DEFENDER.

They were set to throw the book at the friend... until his attorney subpoenaed the 911 tapes... which contained the cops laughing and joking about the race riot as they drove by without interfering in any way. Charges dismissed.

Lessons Learned:

1. Mobs are out for a good time. Getting shot isn't a good time. They'll usually find some place else to be rather than get shot.

2. Police have no legal duty to protect individuals. They can watch you get dismembered in front of them and you or your survivors have no recourse against them.

3. Defend yourself (or have somebody else willing and able to do it for you) or don't get defended AT ALL.

There used to be an account of these events on the Cleveland Plain Dealer website... when they had their own website. These days, they barely have a paper publication. I don't know if it's on the cleveland.com website or not. The last time I checked, I don't think it was.