• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

sureshot

imported post

What would you do if you used your gun in self-defense, and after you shot that person, an angry mob started toward you before the police arrived? If you left the scene would you be charged with leaving the scene of a crime?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

sureshot wrote:
What would you do if you used your gun in self-defense, and after you shot that person, an angry mob started toward you before the police arrived? If you left the scene would you be charged with leaving the scene of a crime?

I would run like hell.

Anytime you see something like this:

frankenstein00011231716204.jpg

it's time to depart the scene.

Use your cell phone to call it in ASAP.

Legba

imported post

I'm reminded of what the army drill instructors told my dad in preparation for WWII:

Q - "what do you do if you're unarmed and someone attacks you with a knife?"

A - "run away - that sumbitch will kill you"

He wasn't in any elite black ops unit and the advice served him well. Likewise if you are armed but outnumbered: there's no shame in not being lynched.

-ljp

crisisweasel

imported post

I would stun them with oldskool electro-style Electric Boogaloo breakdancing movies, maybe to Newcleus's Jam on Revenge, always a crowd pleaser. I can do a moonwalk that can devastate even the most unruly crowd.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
I would stun them with oldskool electro-style Electric Boogaloo breakdancing movies, maybe to Newcleus's Jam on Revenge, always a crowd pleaser. I can do a moonwalk that can devastate even the most unruly crowd.
Why am I thinking of a man wielding a large curved sword in an INDIANA JONES movie who discovered that it is not wise to bring a knife to a gun fight?

FunkTrooper

imported post

You don't even need a mob after you to flee the scene as long as you call it in your not going to get busted for fleeing to a safe location. This is kind of a pointless topic because mobs come afterward depending on your skin color and the skin color of the offender.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

sureshot wrote:
you shoot and kill the closest two individuals in front of you. you have reasonable fear of your life at that point. If that doesn't stop the rest of the mob, you shoot and kill the next two. and so on, and so on.

some wiseassed individual is going to speak up and say 'he can't kill us all', to which you reply 'who wants to die first'.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
sureshot wrote:
you shoot and kill the closest two individuals in front of you. you have reasonable fear of your life at that point. If that doesn't stop the rest of the mob, you shoot and kill the next two. and so on, and so on.

some wiseassed individual is going to speak up and say 'he can't kill us all', to which you reply 'who wants to die first'.
That doesn't sound like a good tactic. Are you serious?

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

HankT wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
sureshot wrote:

That doesn't sound like a good tactic. Are you serious?
If they've got bats, knives, chains and such... hell yes... if they're unarmed... all you'd need to say is... "I've got 9 shots left, and this is an automatic... so which 9 of you would like to sacrifice yourselves for the rest?" and keep my weapon drawn until they move towards me or move far enough away they no longer pose a threat.

Threat assessment is important, you don't want to just start shooting at a crowd that is gathering, but if they're brandishing weapons and talking about harming you... it's time to take action before they do. This does not mean start shooting, but it does mean make sure they know the first one that comes even a foot closer to you gets it. The average man in so so shape can cover 20 feet in less than five seconds... leaves you very little time to react.

Over all... it would really be a judgement call. If you could in any way escape without having to kill anyone else... that would be the best bet.. but the first moment they attack... they become viable targets.

NightOwl

imported post

HankT wrote:
sureshot wrote:

I would run like hell.

When you see something like this...it's time to get the AA-12 out of the trunk.

Seriously though, there's no way a charge of leaving the scene of the crime would stick when you're trying to preserve your own safety and not be forced to shoot all of your ammo into a crowd. Departing and contacting a police officer to report the incident is the way to go.

N00blet45

imported post

I doubt you'd be charged with leaving the scene. And even if you were you would certainly have a valid defense by claiming self-preservation.

In my opinion the best thing to do is beat a hasty retreat and phone the law dogs once you've reached reasonable safety. Unless of course it's at my home. Then it's time to use whatever long rifle I have to dispatch as many as possible until they leave or I'm incapacitated.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Personally I would scram pronto if I could, however; being attacked by mob is no-joke-"fear of life" circumstance, so if cornered or otherwise unable to avoid confrontation I would then assume a combat stnce and loudly ask who wanted to die first. If that did not end the threat I would then back up my question and ask who wanted to be next.

Curious thing is that when armed I am even more inclined to avoid trouble than when unarmed. One good way to tell if I am armed or not is to walk up to me and tell me that Obama is the best president we ever had. If I smile and say "Man. do YOU ever have it on the ball!" you can bet I have Old Betsy on me somewhere.

modelo57

imported post

HankT wrote:
I would run like hell.

HEY, HEY, HEY! For once HankT and I agree! And I might add "don't look back, they might be gaining."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sureshot wrote:
What would you do if you used your gun in self-defense, and after you shot that person, an angry mob started toward you before the police arrived?
This is what ring mounts are made for. :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actually, its not a bad question.

I'm thinking it might be smart to at least stand your ground for a bit with some bluff. If you win, you get to preserve the evidence at the scene.

If you leave, the hostile group has a real good opportunity to mess with the evidence in order to make you look like a murderer. Somebody just might pick up that "good boy's" gun or knife.