Thread: Purchasing a pistol from another instate resident.

Post imported post

I'm looking to buy a matching S&W semi-auto. I found one from another member on this board. We got to talking and both agree the distance is pretty far for a drive, though it's not impossible.

What we/I are curious about, is if I mail the Permit to him to sign, and then he mails it back via UPS along with the pistol. From what I've seen, There is no law forbidding it. It's just a rather odd arrangement.

Mailing it would save both of us time and money. Since it's not from state to state, and the permit/registry is with the pistol. There is no reason it should not be legal. Closest thing I could liken it to is sending your pistol in to a shop for warranty/service/customize.

Does anyone have a reason that it maybe unlawful to mail a handgun from one MI resident to another, All paperwork being properly applied for and granted.

I know it's an odd question. But I have yet to find anything that would suggest otherwise.:celebrate

Post imported post

Hopefully! Otherwise it's almost a 4 hour drive :P
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a matching S&W semi-auto. I found one from another member on this board. We got to talking and both agree the distance is pretty far for a drive, though it's not impossible.

What we/I are curious about, is if I mail the Permit to him to sign, and then he mails it back via UPS along with the pistol. From what I've seen, There is no law forbidding it. It's just a rather odd arrangement.

Mailing it would save both of us time and money. Since it's not from state to state, and the permit/registry is with the pistol. There is no reason it should not be legal. Closest thing I could liken it to is sending your pistol in to a shop for warranty/service/customize.

Does anyone have a reason that it maybe unlawful to mail a handgun from one MI resident to another, All paperwork being properly applied for and granted.

I know it's an odd question. But I have yet to find anything that would suggest otherwise.:celebrate
    It's not an odd question. It comes up every once in a while.

Intrastate shipping should be OK in the case you describe, assuming it is a handgun. But not via U.S. Mail. Only FFLs can use U.S. Mail to transport a handgun.

Whatcha getting?

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    BreakingTheMold wrote:

It's not an odd question. It comes up every once in a while.

Intrastate shipping should be OK in the case you describe, assuming it is a handgun. But not via U.S. Mail. Only FFLs can use U.S. Mail.

Whatcha getting?
    Smith & Wesson .40 Sigma, 14+1

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

MCL 28.422 The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, must be returned in person or by certified or first class mail to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days.

That's the only literature on the matter. The only thing to worry about would be the shipping, Any delay could be troublesome for the purchaser .

"A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00"

Post imported post

Ahhh. Good choice.

Here's a thread from THR that fills in most of the concepts.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=434952

Post imported post

You might check with Jim Simmons over at the Legal Beagle section of MGO.