• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchasing a pistol from another instate resident.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I'm looking to buy a matching S&W semi-auto. I found one from another member on this board. We got to talking and both agree the distance is pretty far for a drive, though it's not impossible.

What we/I are curious about, is if I mail the Permit to him to sign, and then he mails it back via UPS along with the pistol. From what I've seen, There is no law forbidding it. It's just a rather odd arrangement.

Mailing it would save both of us time and money. Since it's not from state to state, and the permit/registry is with the pistol. There is no reason it should not be legal. Closest thing I could liken it to is sending your pistol in to a shop for warranty/service/customize.

Does anyone have a reason that it maybe unlawful to mail a handgun from one MI resident to another, All paperwork being properly applied for and granted.

I know it's an odd question. But I have yet to find anything that would suggest otherwise.:celebrate

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
I'm looking to buy a matching S&W semi-auto. I found one from another member on this board. We got to talking and both agree the distance is pretty far for a drive, though it's not impossible.

What we/I are curious about, is if I mail the Permit to him to sign, and then he mails it back via UPS along with the pistol. From what I've seen, There is no law forbidding it. It's just a rather odd arrangement.

Mailing it would save both of us time and money. Since it's not from state to state, and the permit/registry is with the pistol. There is no reason it should not be legal. Closest thing I could liken it to is sending your pistol in to a shop for warranty/service/customize.

Does anyone have a reason that it maybe unlawful to mail a handgun from one MI resident to another, All paperwork being properly applied for and granted.

I know it's an odd question. But I have yet to find anything that would suggest otherwise.:celebrate

It's not an odd question. It comes up every once in a while.

Intrastate shipping should be OK in the case you describe, assuming it is a handgun. But not via U.S. Mail. Only FFLs can use U.S. Mail to transport a handgun.

Whatcha getting?

malignity

imported post

HankT wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:

It's not an odd question. It comes up every once in a while.

Intrastate shipping should be OK in the case you describe, assuming it is a handgun. But not via U.S. Mail. Only FFLs can use U.S. Mail.

Whatcha getting?

Smith & Wesson .40 Sigma, 14+1

:)

BreakingTheMold

imported post

[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] MCL 28.422 The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, must be returned in person or by certified or first class mail to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days.

That's the only literature on the matter. The only thing to worry about would be the shipping, Any delay could be troublesome for the purchaser :banghead:.

[/font][/size]
"A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00"