• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A story of ignorance, Gander Mountain

JT.asphalt

imported post

Just like any other day, I had my Glock 26 in my holster (Galco inside the belt).
Tee shirt that wasn't to short but if i bent over and stood back up there is no doubt that it would get caught behind my gun. This is not anything i usually worry about, being a informed gun owner i know my rights and the rights about CC and OC

Now in to the story:

Earlier in the day I had shopped around at Sportsman's Warehouse, I know that most of the time i was in there store my weapon was showing... Not a word from any one. Then I went up the street to the Gander Mtn. @ 104th and I25, I was looking for a decent priced dummy launcher for the pup. I found what I wanted, it was a modest $100. Once i had what i wanted i procided on to the gun section to look and see how there hand gun section was doing. I looked around for about 3 min. and was approached by the guy behind the gun counter.
He said to me:

"Sir, you are going to have to conceal your weapon"

To which i answered:

"Why is that, Is that your store policy?"

him " No it is the law, and it makes customers uneasy"

me " you know that there are laws making OC legal right"

him " there are laws against Brandishing and that is what you are doing"

Brandishing, Really Brandishing. For those who do not know:

bran⋅dish 
[bran-dish]
–verb (used with object) 1. to shake or wave, as a weapon; flourish: Brandishing his sword, he rode into battle.
–noun 2. a flourish or waving, as of a weapon.

At this point i was very upset, I took what was in my hands and left it right there on the gun case and left the store. Out of all the places i go while OC i never thought that Gander Mtn would be the place to bitch about it.

Anyways I may have a talk with the manager, maybe not... They did just lose a customer due to one mans Ignorance!

-JT

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would absolutely call the manager and corporate. More likely than not, it was a poorly trained employee and not company policy. I've run into a few of those and they have always been properly addressed by management.

Anubis

imported post

heliski989 wrote:
him " there are laws against Brandishing and that is what you are doing"
There may be laws mentioning "brandishing" in some other states, but that word occurs nowhere in the Colorado Revised Statutes.

joshuaeberly

imported post

visit the Gander Mountain website, and contact corporate with your issue, I had a slightly similar situation here in MI, and it was resolved within 24 hours of my contacting corporate. (OC's a go where it's legal, but they don't have a written policy)

CJ30-06

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
In no way are you "brandishing" in any state with a holstered pistol.
I thought there were states that didn't have OC but did have CC, so if you flashed your pistol you could be charged with brandishing, (even if that's a misnomer)?

Colorado Luckydog

imported post

I think you should have stayed and nipped it in the bud. Getting upset and just not shopping there will do no good at all. I would like to hear how the converstaion with the manager goes.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
I thought there were states that didn't have OC but did have CC, so if you flashed your pistol you could be charged with brandishing, (even if that's a misnomer)?
It's not called brandishing. I believe the charge is failure to conceal. Even then, it is rare that you will be charged or that charges will stick because you have to INTENTIONALLY make your gun visible.

Gunslinger

imported post

Ian wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
It's not called brandishing. I believe the charge is failure to conceal. Even then, it is rare that you will be charged or that charges will stick because you have to INTENTIONALLY make your gun visible.
To brandish is to 'wave or flourish.' In every state law I'm aware of it is followed by "with intent to frighten or intimidate another, or create a public disturbance." Having a "static" pistol, e.g., holstered, is the opposite of 'brandishing' a pistol.

JT.asphalt

imported post

Well, Thank you for all the replies. I just got off the phone with the store G.M. Chris Barr (Ph. 303.450.8112) and he stated that it is legal to open carry in Colorado, however they do not allow it in there store. This seems to be a very interesting concept due to the fact that it is a store that caters to us. Anyways i will not be visiting that store ever again and I made that clear to the G.M. Too bad bc i was going to be buying a shotgun from them this week.

mahkagari

imported post

Regardless of the store policy, the employee didn't need to be a jerk about it with an implied threat to press "brandishing" charges.

FogRider

imported post

There is a sign in the Aurora store that says that they don't allow firearms to be carried and must be checked in at customer service, but CCW holders are exempt*. Since it doesn't say that the permit holder has to actually conceal, I don't. That may be against the spirit of the sign, but I've never had an issue, so until someone says something I'll keep doing it.

*That's not the exact wording of the sign, but it's close.

Adamdude04

imported post

FogRider wrote:
There is a sign in the Aurora store that says that they don't allow firearms to be carried and must be checked in at customer service, but CCW holders are exempt*. Since it doesn't say that the permit holder has to actually conceal, I don't. That may be against the spirit of the sign, but I've never had an issue, so until someone says something I'll keep doing it.

*That's not the exact wording of the sign, but it's close.
Exactly. I highly suggest you take noticed in every store policy/signs that are posted. I have visted that gander mountain many many times when I lived in Thornton off 136th and Holly. For the last couple years at least, there has been a sign right there at the front door facing north east that does infact state all firearms must be in a case unloaded, and CCW is exempt from this policy. Check it out next time.

Sorry, but unfortantly you were in the wrong on this one. Got to be more aware of posted signs.

If the conversation had gone the way said it did too, all you would have had to do, was just cover up your firearm with your shirt. Instead you over-reacted and left. Had to deal with finding your product else-ware and waste more time doing that. Shouldn't let an un-educated employee steer you away because he doesn't know direct terms...

As for the employee, he wasn't right about law, or meaning of certian words, but regardless I'd let it go. Follow the rules next time, and you won't have to hear some dumbass complain :)

JT.asphalt

imported post

Hey Adamdude, thanks for the help. I did in fact read the sign, an as in every other sporting goods store it pertains to people bringing in rifles, shotguns and handguns that are going to the gun counter. I have had many experiences in the same situation (other stores of course) that have not had a problem.

To be honest i could have covered my gun, but why? i am not willing to do business with the kind of store that does not respect me and my right to OC. I don't OC for protection, if i was in a situation that i felt i would need to protect my self or my family i would be CCing. The reason that i OC is so that people see some one who has a gun and is not there to rob them. It brings our society closer to being comfortable with guns. Just as i do not go in to the local Jamba Juice ( because they have a sticker that says "NO WEAPONS") i will not waste my time in Gander Mountain. Thank you for the insite but it is a stupid policy and i do not wish to give them my business.