• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill of sale

northstar65

imported post

RE: M1Gunr..voluntary form--- In section 3 it ask's if the buyer is a resident of WA state...is it legal to sell to an out-of-state resident and is this the case with all states that allow private sales of handguns ?

KBCraig

imported post

northstar65 wrote:
RE: M1Gunr..voluntary form--- In section 3 it ask's if the buyer is a resident of WA state...is it legal to sell to an out-of-state resident and is this the case with all states that allow private sales of handguns ?
It's never legal to sell a handgun to a resident of another state, except through an FFL in the recipient's state of residence.

A private non-FFL can't legally do it, and neither can an FFL.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

My point was that If I sell a handgun or rifle, I get that buyers info.
if that firearm is later found to be used in a crime and law enforcement comes to me, I can then show when and who it was sold to. This both removes me from suspicion, and helps the perp. get caught.
When I sell vehicles privately, I also get the buyers information. I sold a carof minein my teens, the person that bought it never registered it, theyracked up all kinds of parking tickets! and I got arrested becuase of it. If I did not have proof of sale, I would have been liable since I was the last known owner. CYA (Cover Your Arse)

Lets look at the recent Milwaukee police shooting with 2 officers getting shot, The news articles villianized "Badger Guns" for legally selling that weapon. Even though it was a legal sale. the buyer lied when he performed a straw purchase for the criminal.

PT111

imported post

I don't think anyone is trying to cover or avoid anything illegal just trying as said to CYA. You buy a gun from Billy Bob, sell it to Sammy, everything is legal and all of a sudden it is determined to be the missing clue in a crime. Someway it get's traced to Billy Bob and he points you out as the owner of the gun. You claim that you sold it to someone named Sammy but Sammy doesn't exist. CSI finds your fingerprints on the mag and you can't account for your whereabouts on the night in question. Time to find a good lawyer.