• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bills introduced to give elderly a break on HCP's

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have you seen these bills and what do you think of them?

*HB 2081 by *Towns
Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes persons over 65 to obtain a gun carry permit without having to complete a handgun safety course. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB2081&GA=106

*HB 2157 by *Towns ( SB 2167 by *Bunch)
Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, waives handgun permit fees for persons over 65. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB2157&GA=106

falcon1

imported post

I think I would rather see a way worked out for them to pay a nominal or no fee for the course than not requiring the course at all. As for the eliminated permit fee, that works for me. I still want everyone with a permit to have the course, though, unless they have had some previous qualifying military, law enforcement, or other suitable training.

macville

imported post

Fair would be requiring no one to take the unconstitutionally required class or paying the permit fee. I'm sorry, but why should older people have a free pass on a RIGHT?

Maybe all these friggin hippies thought that the westerns they saw growing were how the "wild" west was--when it reality it wasn't all that wild except for dealing with some Indians and some criminals. Even then, there were not shootouts every 10 mins. Heck, Las Vegas is pretty much the same as the "wild" west, except with fancy lights.

I'd say pass the bills if possible, but let's work on removing the unconstitutional crap laws we have on carrying.

Matthew

WCrawford

imported post

macville wrote:
Fair would be requiring no one to take the unconstitutionally required class or paying the permit fee. I'm sorry, but why should older people have a free pass on a RIGHT?

Maybe all these friggin hippies thought that the westerns they saw growing were how the "wild" west was--when it reality it wasn't all that wild except for dealing with some Indians and some criminals. Even then, there were not shootouts every 10 mins. Heck, Las Vegas is pretty much the same as the "wild" west, except with fancy lights.

I'd say pass the bills if possible, but let's work on removing the unconstitutional crap laws we have on carrying.

Matthew
We lost our rights incrementally, we'll have to regain them the same way.

SomeKid

imported post

PG has it right. Special treatment is NOT a step forward.

I will note, we have seen this tried before, the belief that by getting one group special treatment we can leverage that for more - remember LEO nationwide carry? Better to lower the fees for everyone, than to let a select few enjoy a privilege everyone else pays for.