• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And then there were nine! [states banning concealed carry in restaurants]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Examiner.com - DC Gun Rights Examiner Mike Stollenwerk celebrates today's repeal of Tennessee's ban on on concealed handgun carry in alcohol serving restaurants. There are only 9 states left still banning concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol.

Please CLICK, DIGG, & REDDIT http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m6d14-And-then-there-were-nine

SNIP

But unlike the world of novels, onerous restrictions on gun rights don't just mysteriously disappear. Gun control laws tend to have great inertia and it takes a lot of work to repeal.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Examiner.com - DC Gun Rights Examiner Mike Stollenwerk celebrates todsay's repeal of Tennessee's ban on on concealed handgun carry in alcohol serving restaurants. There are only 9 states left still banning concealed carry in restaurans serving alcohol.

Please CLICK, DIGG, & REDDIT http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m6d14-And-then-there-were-nine

SNIP

But unlike the world of novels, onerous restrictions on gun rights don't just mysteriously disappear. Gun control laws tend to have great inertia and it takes a lot of work to repeal.
"Gun control laws tend to have great inertia and it takes a lot of work to repeal."

Gun control is like an old steam engine train that runs out of coal. No coal = no steam.

The train will coast for quite a distance without power.... but in the end it will come to a stop, it just takes a while. :cool:

AZkopper

imported post

Soon to be 8...

AZ SB1118 will allow firearms with a CWP in to restaraunts. It passed committee and the gov said she's inclinded to sign it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AZkopper wrote:
Soon to be 8...

AZ SB1118 will allow firearms with a CWP in to restaraunts. It passed committee and the gov said she's inclinded to sign it.
really?? Can you post link? has it passes either house yet?

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Most of the restaurants in Southern Pines , N.C. serve but they don't serve me .

A home cooked meal is rare at my house and we both carry .

There is a new Olive Garden opening too .

Wonder how much business is lost because of this anti Second Amendment law .

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
SNIP Wonder how much business is lost because of this anti Second Amendment law.
Not enough to matter, I'm afraid. Too many customers are still wearing fleece these days. Of course, in nicer restaurants its wool blends.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
AZkopper wrote:
Soon to be 8...

really?? Can you post link? has it passes either house yet?
It's all in the AZ forum.... SB1113

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had to correct a man today in the local grocery store about the "Guns in Restaraunts" bill. I heard him spouting off missinformation about it and calling it a "Guns in Bars" law.

It went like this:

Man - "Next thing ya know will be having drunks with guns shooting up the bars."

Me - Excuse me sir, but it isn't a "Guns in Bars" law, it's a "Guns in Restatuants" law. It allows those of us with carry permits to carry our handguns into restaraunts that serve alcohol, such as an Olive Gardens or Red Lobster, etc"

Man - "Well, if you can get a burger in a bar, doesn't thqt make it a restaraunt?"

Me - "In that event, Permit holders can only eat the burger, we cannot drink or consume alcohol while armed. That would be a mistermeaner offense and we'd get our permit revoked."

Man - "I still think it's a crazy idea. Guns and alcohol don't mix."

Me - "I agree, that's why you won't ever catch me drinking when I have a gun on. Firearms have been banned for years in places called gun free Zones. WE see how well that's worked. But Restaraunt owners can still bar firearms from their establishments if they want. All they have to do is post signs on the door persuant to state law. That way the criminals will know where the easy targets are."

He didn't have anything to say after that. I blame the media for this crap, since they always called it a "Guns in Bars" bill.

Tex

imported post

In the State of Texas, it's called the 51% law. If an establishment derives 51% or more of it's revenue from the sale of alcohol for on premises consumption, then you can't carry in there. There are some "bars that serve burgers", but if they fall within that law, then you still cannot carry there. There are signs that are supposed to be posted, at eye level, at every entrance to that establishment. I believe that to be a "common sense gun law" if ever there were such a thing.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The only way to carry (in a bar) in VA is openly. Dunno if you can drink too... but there haven't been any calamities as a result. (That I'm aware of.)People 'project' too much... with no basis in fact. It's aLL emotional hysterics and fear mongering. The pinko media has a hand in that.

There are still bars in Arizona when you can hand your gun (or the whole gunbelt) to the barkeep and retrieve it when you leave. No problems with that. If you're in CC mode... who's to know you're heeled? There's nothing in these 'laws' that you have a duty to inform the managementthat you're armed. Lets be realistic... people CC and drink. FL, TX... GA... here... :uhoh:

If they're not causing a problem... then there's NO PROBLEM. LEO's do it all the time... 'cause they have to be armed all the time. Is there some two-tiered magical difference 'tween us 'n them? Many lawyers carry... doctors... professional people. They go to 'Happy Hour'... social functions. CC all the way.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SB1113 was just defeated in the Senate vote. Apparently the sponsor thought he had the votes to get it passed and at the last minute some changed their mind. It appears that it can be brought up again vote should he decide to do so. Listening to the anti's give their reasons for not wanting it is just bizarre.

AZkopper

imported post

Notso wrote:
SB1113 was just defeated in the Senate vote. Apparently the sponsor thought he had the votes to get it passed and at the last minute some changed their mind. It appears that it can be brought up again vote should he decide to do so. Listening to the anti's give their reasons for not wanting it is just bizarre.

Damn! :cuss:

I need to see how Steven Pierce voted. This pisses me off to no end.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pierce voted for it. No problems from him.

Another piece of gun legislation did pass the Senate yesterday, 'Defensive Display of Firearm', I think it was SB1243.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gun haters are never rational or logical in their arguments, but this is the one that really shows off how arrogant and stupid they really are.

Carrying a gun CONCEALED in a place where the carrying of the gun is a condition of a service.

How can you tell if someone should be served alcohol or not, if the gun is CONCEALED!?!? Hello? If this bill didn't read-out OC, it would be at least somewhat sensible. OCers can plainly be identified as "don't serve that guy alcohol," and being an OCer, s/he wouldn't order it anyway... But coming from the control freak angle that the anti's always come from, a concealed gun denotes a person who might get drunk with a gun, and there's no way the establishment serving it to them would know.

They push their agenda so hard, that the defiance of logic becomes transparent.

They want everyone to have to buy the permit and be a registered person for whatever false use they advertise it to serve, but in this aspect, it is utterly self-defeating and proves all they want is a list of names of political adversaries.

A government that does that has NEVER had good intentions in mind.

tito887

imported post

All gun restrictions should just be eliminated. Private property owners can decide if they want their customers carrying firearms in their establishments.

joseph0274

imported post

Actually the gun bill passed on 6/16/09 according to NRA-ILA Alert I received on 6/17/09. Both bills mentioned in post now await House action.

SB1113 was passed yesterday by an 18-10 vote (with two not voting). Introduced byState Senator Jack Harper (R-4),SB1113 would giveconcealed carry permit holdersthe right to take concealed handguns into restaurants that serve alcohol, provided they are not consuming.

Mark

marine77

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I had to correct a man today in the local grocery store about the "Guns in Restaraunts" bill. I heard him spouting off missinformation about it and calling it a "Guns in Bars" law.

It went like this:

Man - "Next thing ya know will be having drunks with guns shooting up the bars."

Me - Excuse me sir, but it isn't a "Guns in Bars" law, it's a "Guns in Restatuants" law. It allows those of us with carry permits to carry our handguns into restaraunts that serve alcohol, such as an Olive Gardens or Red Lobster, etc"

Man - "Well, if you can get a burger in a bar, doesn't thqt make it a restaraunt?"

Me - "In that event, Permit holders can only eat the burger, we cannot drink or consume alcohol while armed. That would be a mistermeaner offense and we'd get our permit revoked."

Man - "I still think it's a crazy idea. Guns and alcohol don't mix."

Me - "I agree, that's why you won't ever catch me drinking when I have a gun on. Firearms have been banned for years in places called gun free Zones. WE see how well that's worked. But Restaraunt owners can still bar firearms from their establishments if they want. All they have to do is post signs on the door persuant to state law. That way the criminals will know where the easy targets are."

He didn't have anything to say after that. I blame the media for this crap, since they always called it a "Guns in Bars" bill.

People are still calling it "guns in bars" here. Complete idiots who let the media do

their thinking for them, you know who they are when they open their mouths and

that crap still comes out. I tell them this:

1. Before the bill came out, if you went to a bar with a gun you would get arrested,

if you have a drink with a gun on your person you would get arrested, not to

mention lose your HCP.

2. After the bill passed, if you went to a bar with a gun you would get arrested, if

you have a drink with a gun on your person you would get arrested, not to mention

lose your HCP.

You cannot carry into a "bar", in this state (Tennessee), because of the age restricted venue.

buster81

imported post

It seems like this is not over yet.

Lawsuit seeks to stop Tenn. guns in bars law
Lawsuit seeks to stop Tennessee law allowing guns in places where alcohol is served

By Lucas L. Johnson Ii, Associated Press Writer
On Wednesday July 1, 2009, 1:42 pm EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Plaintiffs in a lawsuit filed Wednesday to stop a law that allows handguns to be carried in Tennessee bars and restaurants that serve alcohol say the legal action is necessary to maintain a safe environment for patrons.

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in Davidson County Chancery Court and seeks a temporary or permanent injunction to prevent the law from taking effect on July 14.

One reason the lawsuit gives for stopping the law is that it's an "unlawful public nuisance that unreasonably threatens the life, health and safety of the public."

"The Tennessee guns in bar law encourages breaches of the peace and unlawful vigilantism," the lawsuit said. "This subjects petitioners, employees, patrons and members of the public to the clear and present danger of vigilante shootings in contravention to law and the rights guaranteed by the U.S. and Tennessee Constitutions."

"Normally, if a court finds out that there are guns in bars, or there're shootings in bars, they shut the bar down," David Smith, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said. "And that's a legal precedent that we're relying upon."

The Tennessee law retains an existing ban on consuming alcohol while carrying a handgun, and restaurant owners can still opt to ban weapons from their establishments.

Still, critics have continually said guns and alcohol in close proximity are a dangerous combination. But supporters of the law point to state Safety Department records that show handgun permit holders in Tennessee are responsible.

Of the roughly 218,000 handgun permit holders in Tennessee, 278 had their permits revoked last year, records show. Since 2005, state records show nearly 1,200 people have lost their permits.

Revocations are issued for felony convictions, while permits can be suspended for pending criminal charges or for court orders of protection.

Randy Rayburn, a plaintiff in the lawsuit and owner of several Nashville restaurants, said the measure is an "antibusiness law" that not only jeopardizes public safety, but increases employer liability and hurts tourism and hospitality businesses.

"The Legislature did not understand the unintended consequences of their actions," Rayburn said.

Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen vetoed the measure in May, but the Tennessee General Assembly voted last month to override the veto.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Lawsuit-seeks-to-stop-Tenn-apf-3502438387.html?x=0&.v=1