Thread: Coming to Detroit area this weekend.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

I will be attending a basketball official's camp in Detroit 19 - 21 June. Anyone in the area that would like to go get a bite to eat some time or something, let me know.

I do not know how much time will be "free time" during these days but I would like to meet anyone in the area and do some OC while I'm out there.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

Can't be so unspecific. The beauty of this is that you get to make your own event, catered to your own scheduling needs.

You just pick a time and place that works for you, and people will show up.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
    I will be attending a basketball official's camp in Detroit 19 - 21 July. Anyone in the area that would like to go get a bite to eat some time or something, let me know.

I do not know how much time will be "free time" during these days but I would like to meet anyone in the area and do some OC while I'm out there.
    Your thread says "coming to Detroit area this weekend", but you say 19-21 July. Do you mean 19-21 June?

Either way, sure . . . depending on where you're at and when, there are a few of us in the metro area (including me) who might be able to pal around with ya!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Keep us updated, i might be able to grab some lunch or something.

Post imported post

Sorry there Michigander. I wasn't actually planning on a scheduled picnic. I am not sure I will have the time for that. I will just be in town for work and was looking to hang out with some fellow OCers.

As for the typo, yes it should be 19-21 June. I will be officiating games at UDM and will be staying ina hotel (I will not post the name of that hotel for obvious personal security reasons).

As I know more about my schedule while I am attending the camp, I will post a little more specific information, but I do not want to be too specific. Think that's what PM is for on here, huh?
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

It doesn't have to be big and fancy! Just say such and such time, at such and such place. It could be at a coffee shop at 8 pm, a park at 3 pm, or anything else. It could be just an hour if time is a problem. There are no guideline requirements for an informal meeting beyond following the law and showing up.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    It doesn't have to be big and fancy! Just say such and such time, at such and such place. It could be at a coffee shop at 8 pm, a park at 3 pm, or anything else. It could be just an hour if time is a problem. There are no guideline requirements for an informal meeting beyond following the law and showing up.

I'll keep that in mind. I plan to have my laptop with me, so I can post something on short notice ifI get the chance. Thanks.
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

Post imported post

I usually work most Sunday mornings and the wife runs Sat. mornings. So it'd either have to be a late breakfast or a lunch sometime for me, Sat or Sun works well, plenty of places to eat, heh no shortage on that at all.

Post imported post

As my name indicates, I am a UDM'er (Undergrad a while back). I am busy for a big part of the day on Sat, and of course, Friday, but later in the afternoon, or evening should work for me. When you have more info, lets set up a time & place.

Post imported post

I'll definetly be where ever you guys are at. I have almost the whole weekend off this week.

Post imported post

I should be available for Lunch or Dinner on Saturday and possibly Lunch Sunday. Post up some plans and I will endeavor to appear.

Radioman

Post imported post

Hey all,

I just got some more solid (but still pretty vague) info on scheduling for the clinic this weekend. It doesn't look too good.

I'll be leaving around 0500 tomorrow. The clinic starts at 1100 and will end around 2000.

Saturday looks like I'll be there from 0800 - 2100.

Sunday looks like 0800-1700. Then it's a five hour drive back home.

I'm sure I'll be starved tomorrow as well as Saturday, so if anyone wants to have that late of a dinner and knows a place between UDM and Southfield (I have no idea about where any of this is - thank goodness for Tom Tom) let me know and we'll go with that.

Otherwise, looks like I'm gonna be pretty busy. I'll keep you all updated as I get more detailed info. I kinda hope we have some night owls out there cuz I was really looking forward to meeting some of you and doing some OC in theDetroit area.
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

Post imported post

Well thats a nice long schedule there Smitty. Looks like they plan to work you to near death.

Depending on where your staying in Southfield the best bet for restaurants would be along Telegraph for most of the major chain type places.

Unfortunately with the schedule of your camp I will be headed to other engagements when your finishing tonight and Saturday. Gotta love friends with bands waiting until the last minute to beg for help. But then free drinks doesn't require much begging.

Maybe next time your down this way or I am up your way visiting my folks.

Radioman

Post imported post

Just got done with day one. MAN am I glad that is over. I am also very happy that I brougt my sidearm.The last game ended early with a fight and some fan in my face saying it was all my fault. I thoght for sure he was gonna throw a punch several times. Surprisingly, it was a player that pulled him off the court and out of view. The player then returned and patted me on the back saying, "You're good ref."

Dude was then waiting for me in the parking lot and gave me another earfull. Since I do not have a CPL, my sidearm was in my trunk. I was just hoping "dude" didn't have one.

What a lousy "clinic". This is horrible basketball too by the way. Anway, happy I have my friend here with me and probably will not be going back tomorrow (well, except to fill out some paperwork to ensure I get paid.) After that, I'm all free and up for lunch or whatever then I'll be headed back up north.

I'm just gonna leave this out there and let someone suggest some place where a few of us could meet. Again, I have no idea where anything is, but I can find it with my trusty GPS with either an address or street intersection and city.

Take care. I'm gonna go take a shower and get the stink blown off me (as my wife would say).
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

Post imported post

Back home from the D. Glad to be home. Unfortunate that I did not get to meet up with any fellow OCers, but there's always next time. Hope all is well with everyone.
    -Co-founder of OKOCA