• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the exact definition of a building

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Like I said before, we need to be very careful not to read to much into these statutes. We will become our own worst enemy if we do. As I said in a previous post, What would they have you do, Crap on the grass? We need to be realistic here. I realize that the statute says any government building. I just don't see a cop waiting for you outside the pooper and I sure don't see one arresting you because you stood under a shelter. Now if someone was selling alcohol for consumption under said shelter that would be a different story.

Careful guys, you are suppose to enjoy exercising your rights, not be miserable when doing so.

I think for those of you who are new to OCing, the nervousness of starting out can cause you to elaborate on every letter of the words in the statutes. In some cases it might be rightly so. I suggest knowing the basic rules of OC here in Wisconsin and some common sense will take you a long way. Could something happen and you get arrested? Hell Yes! But then you could carry for the rest of your life with out incident too.

If you walk around looking new at this, then people are going to think you are new at this. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck........

Woodchuck

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
snip........

I understand the point your making but I don't think you fully understand why this is important to me and probably a few others.

Careful guys, you are suppose to enjoy exercising your rights, not be miserable when doing so.

When I OC I am in a state of happiness well above that then when I'm not. I take great pleasure in educating people of our rights. I am in this state because I KNOW that I am 110% legal.

I think for those of you who are new to OCing, the nervousness of starting out can cause you to elaborate on every letter of the words in the statutes. In some cases it might be rightly so. I suggest knowing the basic rules of OC here in Wisconsin and some common sense will take you a long way. Could something happen and you get arrested? Hell Yes! But then you could carry for the rest of your life with out incident too.

I am not in a big rush to risk losing my wife, job and CCP over the possibility of me being rightfully prosecuted and sitting in jail. You may have the job security and financial funding to not worry so much about this issue but thats not the case here. You may just be more willing to be a test case than some of us. Either way, GREAT, your one on the very front line, I'm back on the second line. If it wasn't for the few that really tested the law in the last year most of us wouldn't be doing it at all. We all have our place and that for me doesn't include being a test case.

If you walk around looking new at this, then people are going to think you are new at this. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck........

I know I'm new to this but with the help of you and many others here I don't "look" new to this. I don't shake like a leaf when I'm at the checkout or when a store employee approaches me. (I did the first couple times) I go out of my way to be courteous and polite to those I encounter when OCing. I can't educate people on the subject if I'm not educated myself.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Don't get me wrong Wood chuck. We all have to pay attention to the law, however, we need to use common sense as well. Think of it this way, You walking on the public trail and suddenly you have to use the bathroom. You go in and do your formal duties and when you come out, a police officer is coming in. He notices you have a fire arm on your belt, so he arrests you for carrying a fire arm into the public bathroom. You go to court and the judge feels to embarrassed to even be hearing the case. This is common sense. You could have just as easily left a yard biscuit on the public trail, but instead you acted like a normal everyday law abiding citizen and used the public facilities for what they are intended for. I am sorry but I don't think prosecution would be an option for any DA. they have more important things to worry about. Besides I don't think any of them like being embarrassed by a judge and that is more than likely what would happen here.
As far as the shelter goes, It does not meet the definition someone posted earlier for a building and again I don't think a DA will even consider taking this to court.
Now if you walk into city hall, the library, the post office or any other building owned by the state, county or city and you are going to become a "test case" as you put it.

Woodchuck

imported post

LOL

I am in no way questioning city hall, post office or anything like that. I think you have alot more faith in gov't than I do. I believe Benjamin Franklin said it best when he said "There's nothing more uncommon than common sense"

All it takes is 1 anti-gun cop, an anti-gun DA and an anti-gun Judge. In this liberal state that's not hard to come by. Especially in a town as liberal as LaCrosse.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Alright Gleason!!
you owe me a monitor wipedown and a mouthful of Coca-Cola for the "yard Biscuit" comment!

I think a public restroom even though owned or maintained by the local govt. can inany way be considered having the same standing as a courthouse (same amount of fecal matter present in many cases though) Library, or town-hall. I owuld be very willing to put myself in front of a judge for that one.

Seriously, was it the vegas case where it was ruled that A persons right to self-defense outweighs the states position of concealed carry, and concealed is a misdemeanor!