Thread: Asked to cover up at Home Despot

Post imported post

My wife & I were at the Oak Harbor Home Depot earlier, and I thought I remembered seeing the company on the gun-friendly list. We wandered around the garden section for a good 20 or 30 minutes and were on our way to the checkout when a manager of some type and one of his minions stopped us and we had "the conversation." He was very polite & professional, seemed like he'd had this conversation before. Told us HD policy was that weapons were OK but must be concealed. I specifically asked if this was a corporate-wide policy that would be echoed if I called the head office and he said it was. As we were on our way out anyway and he was not being an ass I covered up and we finished out business.

Got home & checked the DNP list and Home Despot is ineed listed as gun friendly with a link to a letter to a Tennesee group saying HD's policy is to abide by state laws.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

When asked to conceal I just make up an excuse of how my shirt isn't long enough.

Post imported post

I just tell them I don't have concealed carry permit and if I were to cover up I would be in violation of the law. You get some interesting facial expressions and comments when they process that little tidbit of info.

bob

Post imported post

I was in our local HD yesterday OC'ing and had no problem at all. Quite honestly, I was surprised.

Post imported post

I have OC'd recently at HD as well with no trouble. Granted I was not there as long as you were. I will keep this story in mind however when visiting in the future.

Post imported post

I OCed in Home Depot in Tumwater last week without incident. Especially surprising in the capital of la la land. Not even a sideways glance, though the clerk did seem especially helpful.

Charles

State Researcher

Post imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
    I OCed in Home Depot in Tumwater last week without incident. Especially surprising in the capital of la la land. Not even a sideways glance, though the clerk did seem especially helpful.

Charles
    Hey! I take offense to.... oh wait. This IS the capital of la la land. Never mind. I'm going back to my basket weaving now.

Post imported post

Charles
    LOL now that I have gotten before. Went to Red Robin a while back, and while no one said anything, the waitress stared so hard at my lil C9 every time she walked by I thought her eyes would pop out. But the service was utterly impeccable.:celebrate Hopefully the big tip I left changed her mind about "gun people."

But anyways, I'm debating whether to bother with rasing a stink with Home Despot corporate. I'm not exactly a regular customer of the chain anyway, and this is just one more reason to go to Lowes or Ace.

Post imported post

Charles
    I work in Olympia, so I'm qualified to make that statement. After all, as SV noted . . . it's accurate. I've lived several places in my life, and never before seen such a concentration of idiots and people with no common sense in one small area.

The most frightening thing about this phenomenon is that many of them are here because they are managing our state government. This isn't a complete slam on anybody that works for thestate (like me), there are manyintelligent peopleand even pro-gun state workers (!!!!). It's just that the idiots seem to outnumber the intelligent by a factor of about five.

OK, now I'm depressed that I have to go to work this morning and deal with idiots.

Charles

Post imported post

Lol, my last trip to home depot I was approached by two employee's about 5 seconds after entering the store. First thing I thought was "great, here we go", but as it turned out they just wanted to ask if I needed help. Stayed in the store for about 20mins without any problems.

Post imported post

Its very hard to cover up if you leave your CPL in the vehicle.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Its very hard to cover up if you leave your CPL in the vehicle.
    That's an interesting point. Keep your CPL in your vehicle so that you can drive while carrying your loaded gun, but then when you're out walking around you don't have it on you so you can truthfully tell a person (or LEO) that you can't carry concealed because you don't have your permit. That's not a bad idea.

Post imported post

This is what I do every time. Then you are telling the truth about not legally being able to conceal, and if asked by police to cover up, ( which they should never do ) you are forcing theirhand to either arrest you or leave you alone.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

cdjspider wrote:
    Lol, my last trip to home depot I was approached by two employee's about 5 seconds after entering the store. First thing I thought was "great, here we go", but as it turned out they just wanted to ask if I needed help. Stayed in the store for about 20mins without any problems.
    So THAT's where all the Customer Service is, up North. The store here in Marysville has NO help available so I doubt anyone other than a Checkout Clerk would even notice a gun. Every time I go in the Store, other customers start asking ME for help.

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Why? Are you partial to orange shirts?

MD

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    cdjspider wrote:
    So THAT's where all the Customer Service is, up North. The store here in Marysville has NO help available so I doubt anyone other than a Checkout Clerk would even notice a gun. Every time I go in the Store, other customers start asking ME for help.

Silverdale Home Depot is customer friendly -- Maybe you should be more careful of your choice of shirt - if you look like an employee you should act like one...

Post imported post

Geeze sounds like I wound up at the only home despot in the state staffed by hoplophobes. Especially was not expecting it in a military-heavy city like OH. Sent them an email thru the website, curious to see what the response is. Leaving my permit in the car could be interesting for now, but once I find the right combination of holster I plan to carry my C9 concealed as a backup gun with my .45 as the primary, so wouldn't work in that case.

Post imported post

This was already supposed to be taken care of.

The Regional LP manager (supposedly) had a district-wide conference call with all store managers, and the district manager, in the district, affirming that OC is allowed in their stores.

I talked to BOTH the Tumwater and Lacey stores and they are aware of the policy.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

The Regional LP manager (supposedly) had a district-wide conference call with all store managers, and the district manager, in the district, affirming that OC is allowed in their stores.

I talked to BOTH the Tumwater and Lacey stores and they are aware of the policy.
    Well either something's changed or their customer service hasn't gotten the message either. here's the email I finally got back:

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
    The Home Depot Customer Care is in receipt of your email.
    Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on The Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
    If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the Manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed.
    Thank you for contacting us.

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:

Well either something's changed or their customer service hasn't gotten the message either. here's the email I finally got back:

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
    Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on The Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
    If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the Manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed.
    OH! now I understand...if it's concealed & lawful, it's o.k., if it's open & lawful and the manager is a Pu**Y, you can't do it!

Post imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
    OH! now I understand...if it's concealed & lawful, it's o.k., if it's open & lawful and the manager is a Pu**Y, you can't do it!
    Sounds like it. And if he's really a pu**y he'll just call the cops outright on a legal activity:quirky. This enough to get home despot (at least the OH store) moved to the watch list?

Post imported post

lol, I've called them Home Despot for years.

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
    Hrm, I don't see where you've posted the letter you sent them...

Did you make it clear to this customer service representative that open carry was A) legal in the state of WA and B) did not require a permit of any kind?

If not, then I'm not surprised you got the response you did... this customer service rep probably isn't a resident of WA and doesn't give a rat's-ass about our specific carry laws.... Note how they just reference "applicable laws" and "in accordance with the carrying permit" as if carrying required a permit.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Hrm, I don't see where you've posted the letter you sent them...

Did you make it clear to this customer service representative that open carry was A) legal in the state of WA and B) did not require a permit of any kind?

If not, then I'm not surprised you got the response you did... this customer service rep probably isn't a resident of WA and doesn't give a rat's-ass about our specific carry laws.... Note how they just reference "applicable laws" and "in accordance with the carrying permit" as if carrying required a permit.
    Fair enough. Here's the entire correspondence, what should I have done differently and how should I continue?

Comments: Hello, I was at your Oak Harbor store the other day, spent 20 or 30 minutes inside, with an openly carried sidearm in a holster, which is legal in Washington state. On my way out I was approached by two employees who told me I would need to conceal the weapon, and that this was a corporate policy. I had been under the impression, due to input from others and a copy of a letter from Hope Depot's director of PR dated 2004, that Home Depot's firearm policy was to abide by state & local laws. Could I get some clarification on this matter?
    In reference to your email, we request you to contact the Store Manager of the Oak Harbor Home Depot store who will be able to assist you in a better way. The details of your local Home Depot store are: Oak Harbor #8563 31800 Sr20 Oak Harbor, WA 98277 (360)675-0105 We look forward to your continued patronage and assisting you with all of your home improvement needs. Sincerely, Dharmendra Customer Care Research Team

I am looking for Home Depot's CORPORATE policy on this matter please, not the opinion of one store manager. What is your OFFICIAL company-wide policy on the lawful carry of firearms by your customers, as per your PR/legal department please?
    Dear Mr. Woolsey,
    Sincerely,
    Hemant Customer Care Research Team

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    Dear Mr. Woolsey,
    Sincerely,
    Hemant Customer Care Research Team
    Sounds like Costco.

As long as they don't see it, it isn't there. :quirky