• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to cover up at Home Despot

Metalhead47

imported post

My wife & I were at the Oak Harbor Home Depot earlier, and I thought I remembered seeing the company on the gun-friendly list. We wandered around the garden section for a good 20 or 30 minutes and were on our way to the checkout when a manager of some type and one of his minions stopped us and we had "the conversation." He was very polite & professional, seemed like he'd had this conversation before. Told us HD policy was that weapons were OK but must be concealed. I specifically asked if this was a corporate-wide policy that would be echoed if I called the head office and he said it was. As we were on our way out anyway and he was not being an ass I covered up and we finished out business.

Got home & checked the DNP list and Home Despot is ineed listed as gun friendly with a link to a letter to a Tennesee group saying HD's policy is to abide by state laws.

BobR

imported post

I just tell them I don't have concealed carry permit and if I were to cover up I would be in violation of the law. You get some interesting facial expressions and comments when they process that little tidbit of info.

bob

o2ryan

imported post

I have OC'd recently at HD as well with no trouble. Granted I was not there as long as you were. I will keep this story in mind however when visiting in the future.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
I OCed in Home Depot in Tumwater last week without incident. Especially surprising in the capital of la la land. Not even a sideways glance, though the clerk did seem especially helpful.

Charles
Hey! I take offense to.... oh wait. This IS the capital of la la land. Never mind. I'm going back to my basket weaving now.

Metalhead47

imported post

I OCed in Home Depot in Tumwater last week without incident. Especially surprising in the capital of la la land. Not even a sideways glance, though the clerk did seem especially helpful.

Charles
LOL now that I have gotten before. Went to Red Robin a while back, and while no one said anything, the waitress stared so hard at my lil C9 every time she walked by I thought her eyes would pop out. But the service was utterly impeccable.:celebrate Hopefully the big tip I left changed her mind about "gun people."

But anyways, I'm debating whether to bother with rasing a stink with Home Despot corporate. I'm not exactly a regular customer of the chain anyway, and this is just one more reason to go to Lowes or Ace.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Charles

I work in Olympia, so I'm qualified to make that statement. After all, as SV noted . . . it's accurate. I've lived several places in my life, and never before seen such a concentration of idiots and people with no common sense in one small area.

The most frightening thing about this phenomenon is that many of them are here because they are managing our state government. This isn't a complete slam on anybody that works for thestate (like me), there are manyintelligent peopleand even pro-gun state workers (!!!!). It's just that the idiots seem to outnumber the intelligent by a factor of about five.

OK, now I'm depressed that I have to go to work this morning and deal with idiots.

Charles

cdjspider

imported post

Lol, my last trip to home depot I was approached by two employee's about 5 seconds after entering the store. First thing I thought was "great, here we go", but as it turned out they just wanted to ask if I needed help:lol:. Stayed in the store for about 20mins without any problems.

FrayedString

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Its very hard to cover up if you leave your CPL in the vehicle.

That's an interesting point. Keep your CPL in your vehicle so that you can drive while carrying your loaded gun, but then when you're out walking around you don't have it on you so you can truthfully tell a person (or LEO) that you can't carry concealed because you don't have your permit. That's not a bad idea.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

This is what I do every time. Then you are telling the truth about not legally being able to conceal, and if asked by police to cover up, ( which they should never do ) you are forcing theirhand to either arrest you or leave you alone.

amlevin

imported post

cdjspider wrote:
Lol, my last trip to home depot I was approached by two employee's about 5 seconds after entering the store. First thing I thought was "great, here we go", but as it turned out they just wanted to ask if I needed help:lol:. Stayed in the store for about 20mins without any problems.

So THAT's where all the Customer Service is, up North. The store here in Marysville has NO help available so I doubt anyone other than a Checkout Clerk would even notice a gun. Every time I go in the Store, other customers start asking ME for help.

Ganghater

imported post

amlevin wrote:
cdjspider wrote:

So THAT's where all the Customer Service is, up North. The store here in Marysville has NO help available so I doubt anyone other than a Checkout Clerk would even notice a gun. Every time I go in the Store, other customers start asking ME for help.
Silverdale Home Depot is customer friendly -- Maybe you should be more careful of your choice of shirt - if you look like an employee you should act like one...

Metalhead47

imported post

Geeze sounds like I wound up at the only home despot in the state staffed by hoplophobes. Especially was not expecting it in a military-heavy city like OH. Sent them an email thru the website, curious to see what the response is. Leaving my permit in the car could be interesting for now, but once I find the right combination of holster I plan to carry my C9 concealed as a backup gun with my .45 as the primary, so wouldn't work in that case.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

This was already supposed to be taken care of.

The Regional LP manager (supposedly) had a district-wide conference call with all store managers, and the district manager, in the district, affirming that OC is allowed in their stores.

I talked to BOTH the Tumwater and Lacey stores and they are aware of the policy.

Metalhead47

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

The Regional LP manager (supposedly) had a district-wide conference call with all store managers, and the district manager, in the district, affirming that OC is allowed in their stores.

I talked to BOTH the Tumwater and Lacey stores and they are aware of the policy.
Well either something's changed or their customer service hasn't gotten the message either. here's the email I finally got back:

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
The Home Depot Customer Care is in receipt of your email.
Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on The Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the Manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed.
Thank you for contacting us.

5jeffro7

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Well either something's changed or their customer service hasn't gotten the message either. here's the email I finally got back:

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
The Home Depot Customer Care is in receipt of your email.
Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on The Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the Manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed.
Thank you for contacting us.
OH! now I understand...if it's concealed & lawful, it's o.k., if it's open & lawful and the manager is a Pu**Y, you can't do it! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: