• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to cover up at Home Despot

Metalhead47

imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
OH! now I understand...if it's concealed & lawful, it's o.k., if it's open & lawful and the manager is a Pu**Y, you can't do it! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Sounds like it. And if he's really a pu**y he'll just call the cops outright on a legal activity:quirky. This enough to get home despot (at least the OH store) moved to the watch list?

just_a_car

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
This was already supposed to be taken care of.

The Regional LP manager (supposedly) had a district-wide conference call with all store managers, and the district manager, in the district, affirming that OC is allowed in their stores.

I talked to BOTH the Tumwater and Lacey stores and they are aware of the policy.
Well either something's changed or their customer service hasn't gotten the message either. here's the email I finally got back:

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
The Home Depot Customer Care is in receipt of your email.
Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on The Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the Manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed.
Thank you for contacting us.
Hrm, I don't see where you've posted the letter you sent them...

Did you make it clear to this customer service representative that open carry was A) legal in the state of WA and B) did not require a permit of any kind?

If not, then I'm not surprised you got the response you did... this customer service rep probably isn't a resident of WA and doesn't give a rat's-ass about our specific carry laws.... Note how they just reference "applicable laws" and "in accordance with the carrying permit" as if carrying required a permit.

Metalhead47

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Hrm, I don't see where you've posted the letter you sent them...

Did you make it clear to this customer service representative that open carry was A) legal in the state of WA and B) did not require a permit of any kind?

If not, then I'm not surprised you got the response you did... this customer service rep probably isn't a resident of WA and doesn't give a rat's-ass about our specific carry laws.... Note how they just reference "applicable laws" and "in accordance with the carrying permit" as if carrying required a permit.
Fair enough. Here's the entire correspondence, what should I have done differently and how should I continue?

Comments: Hello, I was at your Oak Harbor store the other day, spent 20 or 30 minutes inside, with an openly carried sidearm in a holster, which is legal in Washington state. On my way out I was approached by two employees who told me I would need to conceal the weapon, and that this was a corporate policy. I had been under the impression, due to input from others and a copy of a letter from Hope Depot's director of PR dated 2004, that Home Depot's firearm policy was to abide by state & local laws. Could I get some clarification on this matter?
In reference to your email, we request you to contact the Store Manager of the Oak Harbor Home Depot store who will be able to assist you in a better way. The details of your local Home Depot store are: Oak Harbor #8563 31800 Sr20 Oak Harbor, WA 98277 (360)675-0105 We look forward to your continued patronage and assisting you with all of your home improvement needs. Sincerely, Dharmendra Customer Care Research Team

I am looking for Home Depot's CORPORATE policy on this matter please, not the opinion of one store manager. What is your OFFICIAL company-wide policy on the lawful carry of firearms by your customers, as per your PR/legal department please?

Dear Mr. Woolsey,
Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on The Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the Manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed.
Sincerely,
Hemant Customer Care Research Team

FMCDH

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Dear Mr. Woolsey,
Sincerely,
Hemant Customer Care Research Team
Sounds like Costco.

As long as they don't see it, it isn't there. :quirky