• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rain

XD40coyote

imported post

Clear slickers are "ghey", not "gay", there IS a difference ya know. LOL

I worry about my XD's, they are the older ones before they started coating them in melonite. I have to check the whichever one I carry for rust all the time. Little spots will form in different places and need dealt with. Last time part of the barrel ( outside of it) showed a little spot of rust. I would not have seen it had I not decided to field strip and be all OCD that day. Seeing rust on my babies is like OMG AHHHHH!

TehGruu

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
If your gun only works on sunny days, you need to get rid of it.

Like Citizen said, if you keep your gun cleaned and oil properly, getting it rained on now and then won't hurt it.

I agree. If a lot of moisture is an issue, maybe invest the extra money and buy an H&K USP?

WheelGun

imported post

Perspiration is much worse than rain water. Rain water does not contain salts and acids. (Unless you live in New Jersey) Besides sweat, what can rot out a wet handgun is the acid in the tanned leather holster. Believe it or not, rubber grips are worse than wood for moisture retention, wood breathes and dries out better. Rubber holds the moisture in under the grips until you take them off and clean underneath.

Possibly the worst environment for a handgun is not rain, but used as a backup, tucked inside under a bulletproof vest. A CC sidearm carried on your hip, in a pancake holster held tight to your side can introduce body moisture as well.

OC is a healthier environment for a sidearm no matter what the weather.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Nice nom-de-'net.

As I have written here before, I CCW my H&K USPc on 50 kM daily bicycle rides for ten years on the coast of SC. Every day it was saturated with perspiration so that it would not have been wetter had it been immersed. Its daily care was to be wiped with a dry rag and maybe weekly wiped with a slightly oily rag.

One time a small spot of rust appeared on the lever and that was instantly replaced by H&K NQA.

modelo57

imported post

Reminds me of a Bill Mauldin cartoon. An artilleryman had put his raincoat on the breech of the gun. The caption read "I'd rather cover the gun, I don't have to wipe myself down with an oily rag."

Carry a cleaning cloth (Wal-Mart carries them and any gun shop) in your car, truck, JEEP and wipe it down and you should be all set.

Oh yea, JEEPS and guns, they go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

r6-rider

imported post

i let mine get wet....

thats right i said it:D

seriously though, sig in a serpa, when it rains i just dry it out inside and out then give it a little clp, then wipe the holster down. good as new

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Il_Duce wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
It'd be considered gay... but it's your call.
You'd know, cockmonger.
Good thing this is the internet... or you'd be slicksuckin' toothless for a LONG time punk!  

scomputercowboy.jpg

gzelmiami

imported post

Please, please stop making my milk spew from my nose.
It's hard to clean it off my keyboard in the morning.
I do much better with my beer in the evening

reconvic

imported post

In Nam we had Monsoons and trust me guns work in the rain, I hate to see mud slinging here the fact is wear a long t-Shirt in warm weather. I sort of think this is a moot thread. Lets stop the mud slinging and stay on topic no-one can please everyone. I feel from the time I been here Rebel is a valued member. I am also a old man but you would not want to get on my bad side off the internet, think what you may but I been there done that.
S/F Vic