• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kentwood, MI

jbone

imported post

If MI is Legal for open carrywhy would City of Kentwood write this code in present from?I'm just on the look out for places to retire, or not.

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=13498&sid=22

Sec. 38-196. Public possession.

No person shall, without authority by law, possess or brandish any firearm, air rifle, air pistol, paintball gun or other dangerous weapon in any public street, park or place open to, or within the view of, the general public.

Michigander

imported post

If I was going to retire in Michigan (Arizona definitely convinced me I'm not going to) I'd probably live in Grayling. Or maybe the outskirts of Traverse City. Cadillac would also be a possible. ;)

stephgrinage23

imported post

jbone wrote:
If MI is Legal for open carrywhy would City of Kentwood write this code in present from?I'm just on the look out for places to retire, or not.

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=13498&sid=22

Sec. 38-196. Public possession.

No person shall, without authority by law, possess or brandish any firearm, air rifle, air pistol, paintball gun or other dangerous weapon in any public street, park or place open to, or within the view of, the general public.

yep, the kicker here is "without authority by law"

jbone

imported post

So another scare tactic/diversion, (mainly intentional) by a local government that works for those who disapprove of firearms, and very well on those who don't know they have right, and afraid to ask.

Are this signs we see all over American were firearms are legal an infraction of our constitutional, civil rights? I fear what would happen if cities put up signs stating elderly not allowed, or restating blacks not allowed, those seen as agitators wearing camo clothing, teenagers with hair longer than 3 inches, on and on and on.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

jbone wrote:
So another scare tactic/diversion, (mainly intentional) by a local government that works for those who disapprove of firearms, and very well on those who don't know they have right, and afraid to ask.

Are this signs we see all over American were firearms are legal an infraction of our constitutional, civil rights? I fear what would happen if cities put up signs stating elderly not allowed, or restating blacks not allowed, those seen as agitators wearing camo clothing, teenagers with hair longer than 3 inches, on and on and on.
They do it as a form of defacto gun control. They may or may not be aware of preemption. They don't care they can point at the ordinance and tell the uniformed that firearms are not allowed. But if they try to enforce them this can happen:

CG Festival gun carrier files federal civil suit

Wed, May 13, 2009
Dulan filed the civil rights suit in federal court in Grand Rapids on March 5 over the city's open-carry ordinance, according to Justia.com. The suit seeks $600,000.

Dulan represents Christopher Fetters, a 21-year-old off-duty U.S. Air Force security officer from Freeport who was arrested by Grand Haven Department of Public Safety officers on Aug. 2, 2008, for carrying a Glock 40 handgun in a holster at his side in downtown Grand Haven. Police said they disarmed Fetters, arrested him on a misdemeanor charge, issued a 90-day court appearance ticket and allowed him to leave without the gun.

While Michigan law allows carrying concealed weapons with a permit, Grand Haven has a local ordinance prohibiting openly possessing and carrying dangerous weapons in public, a GHDPS official said at the time. People carrying weapons can be frightening and the department received several verbal complaints about the man, a department official said.

However, the city dismissed the charges in late August and the gun was returned to Fetters.

GHDPS Capt. Rick Yonker said then that it appeared the city ordinance was unenforceable under Michigan law, and the state law regarding openly carrying firearms pre-empts local ordinances.

"In most cases, a city ordinance can be more restrictive than state law," Yonker said at the time. "But in this case, that does not apply."

The decision to drop the charge came after research of case law by the city's attorney suggested the ordinance would not hold up in court, Yonker said. The officers acted in good faith and were enforcing the ordinance, Yonker said, but the city decided not to continue with the case.

"No allegations were ever made that Mr. Fetters ever threatened anyone, or in any other way disturbed the peace on the day of his arrest," Dulan stated in the announcement of the suit on Tuesday. "He is demanding damages for violation of his civil rights as a citizen of the United States and of Michigan."

The suit names Yonker, GHDPS Director Dennis Edwards, former GHDPS Lt. Mark Reiss, Lt. Mike Brookhouse of the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department, the city, the county and its Sheriff's Department, and a couple of "unknown parties" as defendants.

A message left at Dulan's East Lansing office this morning was not immediately returned. No city officials were available for comment this morning.

The federal case number is 1:09-CV-00190. It was assigned to Judge Robert H. Bell.

[/i]

jbone

imported post

You are right,the signsdo just what the local politicianswhat; oppress,stir anti's over MWAG in the park, and stifle those afraid to question local government. I shutter!. The same here in WA, and like MI great supporters here making it all happen. Sure wish I could move back, been a long 24 years away.

ghostrider

imported post

jbone wrote:
You are right,the signsdo just what the local politicianswhat; oppress,stir anti's over MWAG in the park, and stifle those afraid to question local government. I shutter!. The same here in WA, and like MI great supporters here making it all happen. Sure wish I could move back, been a long 24 years away.
Jbone,

Where are you stationed in WA.

I was stationed on the Nimitz out of Bremerton when I was in.

jbone

imported post

Lincoln in Everett than up at Whidbey Island. Didthe 95-96 Nimitz cruise though...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
For those who, like me, wondered why a long-dead thread was revived yet no conclusion posted:

His attorney replied to a questioner: ""Here is what happened: We ended up with a small cash settlement and verification that the Grand Haven PD changed its official policy to comply with the law in the sense that officers have been informed that open carry is not unlawful and is not probable cause for a stop."

http://forums.officer.com/t145512/

I Googled "Christopher Fetters kentwood gun"

Here's some more MI information: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3053439/posts