• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Would You Have Done?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

For those saying they would intervene... here's the problem:

You don't know why they're fighting, who instigated it, etc. Maybe the guy getting his face beat against the pavement was trying to rob the bigger guy. Maybe little guy pulled a weapon and the bigger guy is in fact acting in self defense! Maybe big guy doesn't know you and thinks you're an accomplice trying to continue the robbery. Maybe he fears for his life and decides to go down fighting by charging you with the knife he took off the little guy. BOOM!

IF you hit your target, two things could happen. You stop your target, killing an innocent man who was in a fight for his life. You go to jail, get charged, lose your job, maybe your wife leaves you because she can't take the stress of the situation, maybe you beat the rap... maybe you get a few years for manslaughter. Either way your life is FUBARed. Or you don't stop your target (see next paragraph for potential fallout of failing to kill your target).

OR you experience what most people do in SD situations - a drastic decrease in accuracy - and fail to even hit your target. He closes with you goes to work defending himself. Maybe he kills you, maybe you just spend the rest of your life dealing with debilitating injuries and pain. Maybe you just have some cool scars. But wait, what happened to the 7-10 rounds you put down range without hitting your target? Perhaps you kill a bystander (see previous paragraph for potential fallout of killing an innocent person).

In the situation presented by the OP, I don't know enough to interject myself into the situation. My best option is to simply be a good witness. Someone less risk averse may feel it's worth the risk to save the life of a stranger.

I think it's wrong to belittle those of us unwilling to risk our life, liberty, and happiness. The reality is that we aren't superheroes, and we have no moral or legal obligation to act like one.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

In the situation presented by the OP, I don't know enough to interject myself into the situation. My best option is to simply be a good witness. Someone less risk averse may feel it's worth the risk to save the life of a stranger.

I think it's wrong to belittle those of us unwilling to risk our life, liberty, and happiness. The reality is that we aren't superheroes, and we have no moral or legal obligation to act like one.

I'm not sure if I saw a post that was belittling any of the responses to not to intervene.But maybe I missed it. I certainly wasn't trying to belittle anyone. So, I apologize if I came across this way.

The decision of whether or not to intervene is a very personal one. I'm just saying that this is what I think I would do (given the advantage of not having to make a split-second decision).

I have not been in a bar room brawl, but I have fought competitively in judo and know that someone being body-slammed could very easily sustain life-threatening injuries if not experienced in giving and receiving such throws. The scenario was body-slammed (presumably, onto concrete), unconsciousness, a couple of more blows while unconscious, and moving an unconscious person with unknown injuries, which itself could exacerbate an injury to become a life-altering injury.

At what point do I say enough...regardless of who was "right" and who was "wrong"? I say, for me, it's the point of unconsciousness. Boxing matches, judo matches, other martial arts matches do not allow the contest to go beyond this point. Why?

This is the point at which thefightis so one-sided that, for me, to stand by and do nothing would be a violation of my conscience.

brokenbarrel

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

I'm not sure if I saw a post that was belittling any of the responses to not to intervene.But maybe I missed it. I certainly wasn't trying to belittle anyone. So, I apologize if I came across this way.

The decision of whether or not to intervene is a very personal one. I'm just saying that this is what I think I would do (given the advantage of not having to make a split-second decision).

I have not been in a bar room brawl, but I have fought competitively in judo and know that someone being body-slammed could very easily sustain life-threatening injuries if not experienced in giving and receiving such throws. The scenario was body-slammed (presumably, onto concrete), unconsciousness, a couple of more blows while unconscious, and moving an unconscious person with unknown injuries, which itself could exacerbate an injury to become a life-altering injury.

At what point do I say enough...regardless of who was "right" and who was "wrong"? I say, for me, it's the point of unconsciousness. Boxing matches, judo matches, other martial arts matches do not allow the contest to go beyond this point. Why?

This is the point at which thefightis so one-sided that, for me, to stand by and do nothing would be a violation of my conscience.
exactly-BG guy goes for attempt instead of murder,or GG stops threat via self defence,but once the threat has stopped you stop CALIFORNIA law,now the GG doesnt have at least a manslaughter charge

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:

No, it wasn't you. Someone voiced their disgust with people like me, who would most likely not intervene with two grown men fighting. (But if a grown man body slams an 8-yr-old girl, then it's on.)

I agree it's a personal decision.

I commend those willing to risk so much, and hope they never have to. If they do, I hope they legally, financially, and emotionally survive the consequences of their actions.

I also commend those that are wise enough to realize I'm not morally obligated to share their values.

stuckinchico

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

You don't know why they're fighting, who instigated it, etc. Maybe the guy getting his face beat against the pavement was trying to rob the bigger guy. Maybe little guy pulled a weapon and the bigger guy is in fact acting in self defense! Maybe big guy doesn't know you and thinks you're an accomplice trying to continue the robbery. Maybe he fears for his life and decides to go down fighting by charging you with the knife he took off the little guy. BOOM!

IF you hit your target, two things could happen. You stop your target, killing an innocent man who was in a fight for his life. You go to jail, get charged, lose your job, maybe your wife leaves you because she can't take the stress of the situation, maybe you beat the rap... maybe you get a few years for manslaughter. Either way your life is FUBARed. Or you don't stop your target (see next paragraph for potential fallout of failing to kill your target).

OR you experience what most people do in SD situations - a drastic decrease in accuracy - and fail to even hit your target. He closes with you goes to work defending himself. Maybe he kills you, maybe you just spend the rest of your life dealing with debilitating injuries and pain. Maybe you just have some cool scars. But wait, what happened to the 7-10 rounds you put down range without hitting your target? Perhaps you kill a bystander (see previous paragraph for potential fallout of killing an innocent person).

It doesnt matter if you shoot and kill an "innocent man" in this event.. Self defense only allows you to use as much force as necessary to stop the threat... Once the victim stops the threat yet continues to use force he is now the aggressor and IS GUILTY OF A CRIME.... YOUR SHOOTING STILL will be justified homicide...... Plus the fact that ALL THAT MATTERS WHEN YOU PULLL THE TRIGGER IS WHAT IS IN YOUR MIND at that time. If you honestly believe that death or serious bodily harm is imment dedly force is authorized... dont ever second guess your self If you pull your weapon you better be ready to use it

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
No, it wasn't you. Someone voiced their disgust with people like me, who would most likely not intervene with two grown men fighting.
If I offended you, you have my apologies. While I might disagree with you, I certainly have a high degree of respect for you and your opinion.

My response earlier in this thread was not only fueled by my distaste for Kitty Genovese scenarios, but by a California bashing post that came along with it.

DeviousDave

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
No, it wasn't you. Someone voiced their disgust with people like me, who would most likely not intervene with two grown men fighting.
If I offended you, you have my apologies. While I might disagree with you, I certainly have a high degree of respect for you and your opinion.

My response earlier in this thread was not only fueled by my distaste for Kitty Genovese scenarios, but by a California bashing post that came along with it.
I think you both have good points. I hadn't heard of the Kitty Genovese scenario. Good information guys.