Thread: Illegal sign at Olympia PD

State Researcher

Post imported post

Long story short, I've been ignoring this because I don't have any business to conduct with OPD normally. Well, I lost my wallet and that means replacing my CPL too. Gonna go do that Monday, and there is a sign BEFORE you enter the common, public area of the police station that declares only LEO may carry a gun past that point. So they want you to pick up a phone, and stand around waiting for an officer to come get your gun. It's annoying and can take a very long time.

So Tuesday is the city council meeting. I'm going to testify about this matter to them. One council member has already asked the city attorney about the sign, and the attorney claims it's legal. Well of course it isn't, so time for the fight.

Anyone who lives in Oly care to join me Tuesday?
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300 this clearly states that public areas of police stations are NOT off limit to lawful carry.

And of course state preemption also applies.

Dave Workman, this is a great GRE topic for ya!

Post imported post

Please give us a time and place for meeting, and precise instructions on what you need from us for support.

State Researcher

Post imported post

City council meets Tuesday at 7pm in the City Hall at 900 Plum Street, SE.

Anyone who lives in Oly I wouldn't mind have showing up to testify as well about this during the public testimony. I'm probably gonna CC as I think it will fly better from an initial marketing stance than OC. I don't have much reason to use a heavy show yet with them. I think there is at least one council member who will be sympathetic, possibly more.

So if you live in Oly and want to show up, and speak in agreement with what I'm gonna present there, or simply write a polite letter to the city government about this matter, addressed to the council, the city manager and the city attorney. http://www.ci.olympia.wa.us/contact-us.aspx

Also I think this is more a high level matter with OPD or with the City Attorney's office. OPD follows their attorney's lead after all. So I'm not looking to attack OPD per se, but rather work to correct an error and misunderstanding.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ok, OPD knows the sign is wrong, and have instructed their staff that a person may legally carry a gun in the public, non secure areas of the building. Sign just needs to be removed.