• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with a gun

T Vance

imported post

I just flew in South Carolina yesterday, but did not bring my handgun :(

This is because I thought I could not bring it on a plane. When I got to the airport I read a sign at the baggage check in that said "Firearms must be in your "checked" luggage, in a hard sided container, unloaded, and declared to your airline when it is checked in". Had I known that I would have brought my gun. :cuss:I feel so naked without it :shock:

Just wanted to give you a heads up if you were not aware of this.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I just flew in South Carolina yesterday, but did not bring my handgun :(

This is because I thought I could not bring it on a plane. When I got to the airport I read a sign at the baggage check in that said "Firearms must be in your "checked" luggage, in a hard sided container, unloaded, and declared to your airline when it is checked in". Had I known that I would have brought my gun. :cuss:I feel so naked without it :shock:

Just wanted to give you a heads up if you were not aware of this.

Oh yes, You can easily take guns on planes, and you don't have to use TSA Compliant locks on your luggage when you do! Extra bonus: when they inspect your luggage, You MUST be present, and you MUST be the only one with the key!

More info: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

autosurgeon

imported post

And let me tell you when they lose your luggage you will never see them get so excited nor spend so much time finding out exactly where it is... SW lost mine with my gun inside but found it within 20 min even though they had to call the Vegas day supervisor at home wake him up and have him go in to find what happened!

skidoojc

imported post

It's no problem, go up to the counter declare you have an unloaded firearm, they will have you sign a slip and away you go. The ammo can be in the same piece of luggage but not loose in a box, original box works the best. Happy flying.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

skidoojc wrote:
It's no problem, go up to the counter declare you have an unloaded firearm, they will have you sign a slip and away you go. The ammo can be in the same piece of luggage but not loose in a box, original box works the best. Happy flying.
Welcome to OCDO Skidoojc. Please correct the spelling (Battle Creek) and add Michigan to your location.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I fly quite often w/ my handgun; in the last year I've flown to Los Angeles, CA and Orlando, FL. No problems either trip.
You should have seen the eyes of the people behind behind me at check-in in Grand Rapids when I had to remove the firearm from the gun case and rack the slide to show that it was unloaded.:)

I also have a friend who is a photographer who flies with handguns just so he can have his checked luggage w/ the handguns "hand checked" and locked so no one but him can access the equipment. He figures it is the best way to secure his his camaras. He uses a metal container for each, and is the only one with a key, so the people who check the baggage will not be able to open his bags without him being present.

Veritas

imported post

I've never flown with a gun. I flew to CA in February and plan to go to AZ, CA, and NV over the next few months and probably won't be taking my gun either. But that's only because my trips are usually short (3 to 4 days) and I only pack a carry on.

If I ever pack a bag that I plan to have checked, I'd be sure to take Mariah with me. (Mariah is my daily carry pistol).

Veritas

imported post

Nice... I almost named my dog Samantha.

Hey sort of off the subject (but still on the subject of interstate travel): I'm going to Chicago in August (driving) and I know Illinois is one of the most repressive States in the union when it comes to guns... anyone have any advice on how I should go about transporting my pistol once I cross State borders? I know Indiana has reciprocity with Michigan but I'm unclear what the rules are on OC. And once I cross into Illinois, I'm assuming I must disarm and store my pistol?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Veritas wrote:
Nice... I almost named my dog Samantha.

Hey sort of off the subject (but still on the subject of interstate travel):  I'm going to Chicago in August (driving) and I know Illinois is one of the most repressive States in the union when it comes to guns... anyone have any advice on how I should go about transporting my pistol once I cross State borders?  I know Indiana has reciprocity with Michigan but I'm unclear what the rules are on OC.  And once I cross into Illinois, I'm assuming I must disarm and store my pistol?

For the duration of your trip, when transporting, your gun must be unloaded, broken down, and locked and inaccessible. Chicago has banned all handguns.

In Chicago, if you possess a magazine with 12+ round capacity, you're committing a felony.

autosurgeon

imported post

If your end destination is Chicago you cannot take your pistol. The only way the federal transportation of firearms act covers your butt is if you have an end destination somewhere else. You can change modes of transport in Chicago IE get on a plane or train or buss but you cannot end your trip there.

NOTE this is my interpretation based my research when I was going to be using Midway airport to travel to NV.

Veritas

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
If your end destination is Chicago you cannot take your pistol. The only way the federal transportation of firearms act covers your butt is if you have an end destination somewhere else. You can change modes of transport in Chicago IE get on a plane or train or buss but you cannot end your trip there.

NOTE this is my interpretation based my research when I was going to be using Midway airport to travel to NV.
Okay so moral of the story is leave my extended mags at home and just double or triple up on standard mags (because we all know that 3 10-round mags is WAY safer than 2 15-round mags, right?), break my gun down when I get into Illinois, and if I'm stopped by any LEO's, then I am to tell them I am only in Chicago temporarily... passing through on my way to Milwaukee.

Jblack44

imported post

Back in 1998 three of us headed to Alaska for a 7 day Caribou hunt. We all rode together to Detroit Metro for what was to be 6 flights out to our final desitination in the bush. We walked in with a total 5 weapons, 3 high powered rifles, a shotgun, and I took my scoped .44MAG. You should of seen the looks on peoples faces when we were at the counter opening cases and racking bolts and slides to verify that they were unloaded :what::celebrate.

We did have a overnight layover in Ancourage where we had to pick up our weapons. They were in a secured area and we had to show matching check tags to retreive them.

On the way back when we landed in Detroit we asked about where to pick up our guns. We were told that they come out with the regular luggage:shock: So we hustled down there before someone just walked out with them! :uhoh: Also walking with a huge Caribou rack over your shoulder draws some attention as well...LOL

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I fly with guns all the time (VA to CA). I bring my carry piece, sometimes my .22 handgun.

Usually it's pretty smooth, especially once you know the drill. One time, however, the guy scanning my bag had some kind of mental problem (this was the impression his affect gave) or something, but whatever his deal was he felt the need to scan my bag and then go through it by hand, and then scan it again, probably 10 times or so before he decided that the "loose bullets" he imagined didn't exist, and that all my mags were empty and all my ammo boxed and the boxes taped. Which of course I told him from the start. :banghead:

autosurgeon

imported post

Veritas wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Okay so moral of the story is leave my extended mags at home and just double or triple up on standard mags (because we all know that 3 10-round mags is WAY safer than 2 15-round mags, right?), break my gun down when I get into Illinois, and if I'm stopped by any LEO's, then I am to tell them I am only in Chicago temporarily... passing through on my way to Milwaukee.
Yep as long as your final destination is not Chicago:lol: I carry the federal statute with me when I travel. You can find it under travel on the NRA/ILA website.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Yep as long as your final destination is not Chicago:lol: I carry the federal statute with me when I travel. You can find it under travel on the NRA/ILA website.
I've long thought someone could probably make some serious money by flying into NYC, California, or Chicago with some serious weaponry being transported under the safety of the FOPA. Seems like it's basically just a law suit cash cow waiting to be milked.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
autosurgeon wrote: 
I've long thought someone could probably make some serious money by flying into NYC, California, or Chicago with some serious weaponry being transported under the safety of the FOPA. Seems like it's basically just a law suit cash cow waiting to be milked.

I've heard of people getting in trouble in Jersey having had layovers there that turned into overnight layovers, having to re-check luggage and getting into some SERIOUS discussions with officers about having the guns (Jersey boys aren't used to seeing guns outside of police hands, you know...)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I found this post on the opencarry site:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum21/4921-3.html

junglebob
Supporting Member

Joined:Sat Oct 28th, 2006 Location:Southern Illinois, Illinois USA Posts:151 Status: Offline Posted: Sat Apr 25th, 2009 11:59 am

FunkTrooper,

Appreciate your support of us here in Illinois fighting to change things. For Illinoisans who would like to join the fight I'd suggest joining the http://www.IllinoisCarry.com/forum You can keep informed of legislation that is in the legislature, both good and bad. On the bright side 3 bad firearms bills are going nowhere this year. Two counties down here in Southern Illinois had a resolution question on the ballot this spring on whether to pass LTC legislation one had 89% yes votes and the other 84%, we have support for LTC in Southern Illinois.

Something I was just told on the IllinoisCarry forum by the ISRA lobbyist in Springfield. The transportation requirements for a cased firearm are the same for a non-resident as for a resident in Illinois. One way to transport under 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(4) (iii) is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner Identification Card.He says that since a non-resident can't get a Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card this doen't apply and he must just follow the rest of the requirements. Note if must be completely enclosed. Ammunition need not be seperate. A loaded magazine may be in the case. He said he was there when the legislation was passed, so I'm assuming he is correct since this type of legislation is his specialty.

For those visiting Illinois who wish to transport a firearm in their vehicle or on their person in this manner be advised you might likely still be arrested for so doing so, especially since the FOID card in mentioned in the statute. Many LEOs in Illinois are ignorant of the state transportation laws. Also local cities like Chicago, Peoria, and East St. Louis and others may have more stringent transport requirements. In southern Illinois south of I64 I don't know of any that do. This may be of help to travelers who wish to keep a firearm.

I'm sending another check today to aid Chris Morley in his legal defense. (posted March 23) Anyone that can do so please send to the address in that post. (or PayPal) Chris was following the law on transporting firearms, his case was dismissed, but he still has legal bills.

autosurgeon

imported post

If you are traveling through a state IE it is not your end destination AND the state or end destination you are traveling too allows you to have the firearms you are traveling with then the STATE rules are null and void for the state or states you are traveling through and you only have to abide by the federal regulations.

And here they are...

[font="Arial,Helvetica"]§ 178.38 Transportation of firearms.[/font] [font="Arial,Helvetica"]Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked[/font]
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]container other than the glove compartment or console.[/font]