• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with a gun

Veritas

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I've long thought someone could probably make some serious money by flying into NYC, California, or Chicago with some serious weaponry being transported under the safety of the FOPA. Seems like it's basically just a law suit cash cow waiting to be milked.
I don't know all the details, but I personally know a guy who was arrested at an airport for packing a gun. Again, I don't know details... but I do know that he was later released without any charges.

Veritas

imported post

Thanks for the info, everyone. So what I'm gathering is this:

As soon as I cross the Illinois State border, put my pistol in it's case, remove the ammunition and store it (separately, just to be safe), and put the whole thing in the trunk. If stopped by an LEO, I will tell them I am only in Illinois for a brief period on my way to another State.

There's no need to field strip my weapon nor unload my magazines, correct? But I also cannot be in possession of extended mags, correct? Or does the Federal law preempt Illinois rule in this area?

Either way, just to be "safe", I'll just take extra standard mags instead of one or two extended mags. That's got to be one of the stupidest pieces of legislation, by the way. What can one 15 or 30-round magazine do that 10 10-round magazines cannot?

autosurgeon

imported post

I don't think the mags make any diff whether they are 10 rd or more... remember you are traveling through under the umbrella of the federal transport law.

Also make sure you unload and secure while still in IN or some other state that recognizes your CPL..

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

The question about the mags, though, really needs to be answered. There are some localities in Illinois, and other states, which prohibit magazines that carry 10 or more rounds. The NJ state police, in reference to the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, a law which allows police officers to carry concealed, states that they will enforce their magazine restrictions, even though the LEOSA seems to say that they can't. So, to be safe, I would take the 10 round magazines with me.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

When I flew into CA last fall to visit my brother, I OC'd in the LA area with my Glock 23. I brought 3 10-round magazines just to be safe. There it needs to be unloaded, and carried so that it is visible. Need to watch for the school zones, too, as CA defines them out to 1,000 feet. Even though the police in CA seem to have the prerogative to question anyone carrying a firearm, I did it for about 7 days and was never asked. I even OC'd on my brother's motorcycle, once stopping to watch a Police Officer move the local street people away from a shopping area in Hermosa Beach. I didn't have any problems at all. I just copied off the pamphlet that the California OC board has put together and carried as required.

autosurgeon

imported post

When you are carrying outside of a locked container the mag limits would be an issue however if you are traveling through a state that has limits to one that does not there is no need to use diff mags. HOWEVER if you intend to get the firearm out to use for SD in your motel you had better follow the mag rules.

So basicly the rule of thumb is if you are going through the state with no stops for the night or the gun will remain cased IE there is no way you would be using the firearm while in the state that has mag limites and it will be locked up at all times unloaded. Then you don't need different mags.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Veritas wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
If your end destination is Chicago you cannot take your pistol. The only way the federal transportation of firearms act covers your butt is if you have an end destination somewhere else. You can change modes of transport in Chicago IE get on a plane or train or buss but you cannot end your trip there.

NOTE this is my interpretation based my research when I was going to be using Midway airport to travel to NV.
Okay so moral of the story is leave my extended mags at home and just double or triple up on standard mags (because we all know that 3 10-round mags is WAY safer than 2 15-round mags, right?), break my gun down when I get into Illinois, and if I'm stopped by any LEO's, then I am to tell them I am only in Chicago temporarily... passing through on my way to Milwaukee.

May work, but as was said you can not have a handgun in Chicago and some of the environs. You can, as you say, pass through the city to another destination. Chicago firearm laws can be found on line, they are very restrictive.

Even non Chicago LEOs can have a handgun in the city. Don't know how that plays with the recent LEO can carry anywhere federal law.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I think it is possible to have a handgun in the Chicago, if one looks at the possible exceptions in their city ordinance and uses it to an advantage, but it certainly is not easy. I am not saying that the Chicago PD would agree with my creative carry options, either.

Veritas

imported post

I won't be carrying it where I'm going to be that weekend. Weapons aren't permitted. But I'd prefer not to travel without it... especially when driving through certain parts of Indiana. You ever have to stop for gas in Gary in the evening or early morning?

FatboyCykes

imported post

Veritas wrote:
I won't be carrying it where I'm going to be that weekend. Weapons aren't permitted. But I'd prefer not to travel without it... especially when driving through certain parts of Indiana. You ever have to stop for gas in Gary in the evening or early morning?
Not sure who this Gary chap is, but he sounds dangerous, glad you hear you're packing "protection"....

Also good to see how diverse OCDO is nowadays.

:p

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Veritas wrote:
Well I'll keep it simple: They have to have cause to search my room in order to find it. I don't anticipate this happening.
If you are renting a hotel room the hotel staff can let them in. At least I think they can. You may want to check that out.

Veritas

imported post

I'm not worried about it, to be honest. They'd need PC or RS to search my belongings. Fat chance of that happening. And if that slight possibility were to exist, I'd simply store it in my vehicle.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Venator wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Well I'll keep it simple: They have to have cause to search my room in order to find it. I don't anticipate this happening.
If you are renting a hotel room the hotel staff can let them in. At least I think they can. You may want to check that out.
My thought exactly, Venator. I could just see a person cleaning the room and an "OMG, it's a gun!" reaction ensuing. I think that there are better ways to travel...

For those who are planning to fly w/ firearms, I would check the http://www.handgunlaw.com site before I go. They have links to the major airlines at the top of the homepage.

I would also check out the following link for state and local firearm laws. Although I can't vouch for how current the information is, I usually use it as a starting point and click in the links provided on each state's page in which I will be traveling. It even has the local laws for those places where these might be an issue. http://www.lcav.org/content/state_local.asp

Here is a copy of a BATF letter that I carry with my tickets "just in case" there is a problem". I've never had to use it though.

http://www.vcdl.org/letters/TSA_letter.pdf

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Michigander wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Yep as long as your final destination is not Chicago:lol: I carry the federal statute with me when I travel. You can find it under travel on the NRA/ILA website.
I've long thought someone could probably make some serious money by flying into NYC, California, or Chicago with some serious weaponry being transported under the safety of the FOPA. Seems like it's basically just a law suit cash cow waiting to be milked.

I've heard of people getting in trouble in Jersey having had layovers there that turned into overnight layovers, having to re-check luggage and getting into some SERIOUS discussions with officers about having the guns (Jersey boys aren't used to seeing guns outside of police hands, you know...)
Zig,

Here is a letter that may help if you are so inclined to travel to NJ by plane. I can't say, though, that the layover would not be problematic.

http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourRights/us%20letter.pdf

Veritas

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Venator wrote:
Veritas wrote:
My thought exactly, Venator. I could just see a person cleaning the room and an "OMG, it's a gun!" reaction ensuing. I think that there are better ways to travel...
Assuming I leave my weapon out for them to find. Which I wouldn't do. If I leave it in the room, it will be locked in the safe (the hotel provides one in the room). Like I said, if it becomes an issue, then I simply move the pistol to my vehicle and then it becomes a NON issue.

autosurgeon

imported post

Veritas wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
Venator wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Assuming I leave my weapon out for them to find. Which I wouldn't do. If I leave it in the room, it will be locked in the safe (the hotel provides one in the room). Like I said, if it becomes an issue, then I simply move the pistol to my vehicle and then it becomes a NON issue.
I use a pelican case to carry my gun when I am on trips. It actually was intended for small camera gear and it even says as much on the outside. I got it from Panasonic so it says panasonic and pelican on it. it has a shoulder strap and everything. I have the pelican locks for it and no one questions a camera case so it is an easy way to move in and out of a hotel room without someone seeing a PISTOL CASE:lol: