• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On foot only?

Franktroplis

imported post

Is it lawful to open carry while on skates, or a bike?

I have read that some parks have "no gun" rules, if it is still legal to open carry in those parks, must you walk into the park since it would be illegal to have the gun in your car while entering the park?

This is new to me, and I have never seen anyone walking around a krogers or a wal-mart while open-carrying. Is there a specific list of locations that are prohibited? Also, what is the statute that allows open carry?

FatboyCykes

imported post

Welcome! Check the top o' the page for the Open Carry Info Here thread, all the info you could need is in there.

Please, if you don't mind, add your city and state to your profile, thanks :D

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Franktroplis wrote:
Is it lawful to open carry while on skates, or a bike?

I have read that some parks have "no gun" rules, if it is still legal to open carry in those parks, must you walk into the park since it would be illegal to have the gun in your car while entering the park?

This is new to me, and I have never seen anyone walking around a krogers or a wal-mart while open-carrying. Is there a specific list of locations that are prohibited? Also, what is the statute that allows open carry?

Parks with no gun rules are generally not in compliance with the law (MCL 123.1102).

Here's the portion of the law that allows open carry:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/Constitution.pdf

Article 1 Section 6:
§ 6 Bearing of arms.
Sec. 6. Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Keep in mind that in a free country, anything not specifically prohibited by law is allowed. (Example: There's no law that says it's legal to eat hot dogs for breakfast, but if you want to do that, you can)

If you're going to drive to the park, the gun must be unloaded and in the trunk. You can then load it and holster it once you've arrived. (if you have a Concealed Pistol License, you can carry it loaded in your car on your holster, and just drive in and enjoy the park).

Please read the "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE" thread for more details.

Franktroplis

imported post

When I took the cpl class, they told us that if there is a sign that prohibits guns, we are not allowed to carry. Does that rule not apply to transportation and open carry?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Franktroplis wrote:
When I took the cpl class, they told us that if there is a sign that prohibits guns, we are not allowed to carry. Does that rule not apply to transportation and open carry?

This is true for private property. If a private property owner does not want guns on their property, you must oblige. If you don't you could be charged with criminal trespass (not a gun charge).

If it's public property owned by the State, City, County, or Town/Township/Village, then they cannot ban firearms, unless specifically allowed by the state (to date, none have received permission). This means that if a public park (or any other public building, except courthouses and prisons) has a sign banning firearms, it is unenforceable and you may legally carry there. Refer to the law I posted above (MCL 123.1102)

autosurgeon

imported post

Only private property owners, schools and federal buildings and some federal properties can prohibit guns. And even then some of those cannot completly prohibit them.

For instance a sign on the local store that is prominently displayed you have to respect.. it is private property. However a sign on the local park that is owned and operated by the city is not enforcable as the MI preemption law took care of that.

Basically preemption says that no government body lower than the state government can make a law stricter than state law in regards to firearms.

I would recomend as others have that you read the OC info threads that are stickied at the top. Also read the Wash, Rinse, Repeat thread as well.

Carry On