• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Northern Wisconsin (North of Highway 29)

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

My computer access is limited while up here. Willprobably be heading backTuesday. I am staying at Bill's lake off of Mitten Lake Rd. Thanks for the invite but my parents will be coming back from North Dakota today so we will be busy today and unfortunately packing and leaving tommorow.

I have been OC'ing up here forover 20years on my vacations and visits, this was the first time I carried in town.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Last week I was very glad to be carrying. Normally I don't during work but the property owner advised to always carry when walking back in on his property due to the wolves - they ran right thru his campsite.
Anyway, I had to go and check on a building project of his. Drove down a long driveway back in the woods, parked at a gate and prepared for the mile walk back to his garage. While putting the holster on, I head a vehicle coming up the PRIVATE drive. Hoping it was the owner or other property owner who could let me drive my lazy butt thru the gate. Turned out to be a couple unkempt guys (typical northwoods but...) in a beat up truck. They claimed to be doing a certain type of lake survey. However, I know the folks in the area who do that sort of thing, they know the private vs public or permission type of properties. These two didn't know a thing and didn't seem to know where they were or other accesses to the lake which I tried to explain. As we were talking, I holstered my gun and their eyes got wide. I said one needs to watch out for wolves back here. Something about them just didn't feel right due to their evasiveness and lack of knowledge of the area when their vehicle was a local due to specific plates.
They might have been there innocently but I was just glad I was carrying, I felt like I was on a level playing field. I was able to protect myself if needed and it caused them to be aware of me being armed.
I carry in the woods any time I'm out and about. When walking the dog(s), I carry, sometimes into Woodruff and around the northwoods.

cheezhed

imported post

I was in Conover last weekend and I carried with no incident just on the property that we rented.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

With all the bears and wolves and occasional mountain lion and wolverine, the chance of needing to protect yourself or your dog from an animal attack may be approaching the chance of needing to protect yourself from an aggressive human!

Athena

imported post

I carry whenever I visit my family (Lakeland area). There's plenty of backyard critters, and not all of them are the friendly kind. There's a rather large bear in the backyard who likes to drag the garbage cans through the woods on garbage day.

However, it's pretty far in the sticks so there's really nobody there to complain/comment/care about my carry status with the exception of a few elderly neighbors who are also into shooting.

I will say that the school zones are a lot easier to deal with there with the exception of Trinity Lutheran School. You'd never know it was there unless you were looking for it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I spend alot of time up in the Laona / goodman area got freinds up there, so I always carry up there. up there i holster the Taurus 24/7 OSS 45 acp. They got bears up there.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Back home now, had a very good week. On the way back the family stopped at the Culvers on 51 exit 193 in Wausau. Some of the Culver's customers were not as oblivious to my carry as in Minoqua. Nothing was said, no police, enjoyed a good meal and left. My wife said while I was refilling my drink a couple in their early 60's pointed an were aghast! I told her even more upsetting to them would have been them noticing the Illinois plates on the minivan when we left. Those damn foreigners.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
:p Maybe they had just seen "Public Enemies" and are worried about people from IL heading into northern WI.
Minocqua is basically a suburb of Chicago in the summertime!

If I was able to blindfold you, place you in the Minocqua wal-mart parking lot, and you had to guess which state you are in by the license plates on cars, you would not guess you were in Wisconsin.

Not all FIB's are bad, the typical loud, belligerent, annoyingFIB attitude seems to be only centered around Chicago, once you start meeting people that live at least 100 miles from that city, the seem fine as frogs hair. It does take them at least 2-3 days to decompress when up here, then theyseem more tolerable.

But imagine if you were born and raised in that state, having no rights, sitting in traffic for hours on a daily basis, and all the other crap that comes with being around Chicago, you would quickly understand why they are the way they are.

I left Northern WI and worked down there for a few years, I became a reluctantIL resident for a few years. I quickly realized it was not the residents fault, but the IL govt made them the way they are.It is almost likeeveryone is trying to scam someone else before they themselvesget scammed, Imagine needing to lock your doors during the day while you are at home! and having no legal ability to defend yourself against an attacker. there is no legal way of defending yourself in that state.
Whole communities are based on "One-up-man-ship". You got to keep up with the Jone's or exceed them to earn your status or you are looked on as a pauper.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Yeah. Some of y'all chicagophiles need to come ride herd on them here.

In the summer our population swells from 717 to 3500 and the bulk of the increase is from Chicago. Then I hear, "Well, the Town should do thus and so..." wanting us to mow their damn yard full of phragmites or patch a pothole. They will be surprised when the roads are turned back to gravel and their X-over SUV PU wannabes are dusty.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I can educate those Chicago area folk more in the north woods than I can in my own back yard, go figure. I guess WalMart was a good place to start the "desensitization" process and maybe they can take home a new perspective to Cook County.

Now a few letters to the reps & officials where the cabin is and demand the School zone law and vehicle carry ban be repealed or reworded to exempt lawful defensive carry in keeping with the WI constitution. Which by the way seems pretty crystal compared to Illinois RTBA provision.

lockman

State Researcher
Back in the Northwoods

OC at Triggs 6/30 10:30 PM, Walmart hwy 70 7/2 1 PM, Nothing to note but educated the checkout person in WalMart after a question if OC required a permit. I was wearing Crocks with the Bears logo on them, that seemed to draw more attention than the Glock on my hip!

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I will be up in about a week or so

OC at Triggs 6/30 10:30 PM, Walmart hwy 70 7/2 1 PM, Nothing to note but educated the checkout person in WalMart after a question if OC required a permit. I was wearing Crocks with the Bears logo on them, that seemed to draw more attention than the Glock on my hip!

Nice to see you back in Wisconsin. I will be up in about a week or so, so I should be able to post some more. We have made significant progress in the last year. It should be fun!

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Open carried in Northwoods COOP

I open carried yesterday in the Northen Lakes Cooperative. I saw a couple of mildly inquisitive looks while I was grocery shopping, that was about it.

Later on, I open carried on a 4 mile run with my brother and cousin. No problems.