Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: Walmart

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    After months of the Hammond and Amite Walmart lying about their gun policy, Walmart Corp has stepped in.

    Walmart corp supports gun owners and made damn sure that the managers of these two walmart's stopped the lying to their customers about how the policy states that only LEO can carry in their store.

    The policy states that if you are LEGALLY carrying, you can carry in their stores.

    I carry in all other Walmart's and have NO problem what so ever. For the record, Hammond and Amite now know the real policy



  2. #2
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    How did you find out about this? Did you talk to the Hammond or Amite Walmart managers? Just curious.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pierce is a Coward, ,
    Posts
    1,100

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Glad to hear it.
    Now, is there somewhere in the Hammond WalMart to eat?
    That's more dangerous than OC'ing around a cop.

  4. #4
    Regular Member turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    Anty506 wrote:
    After months of the Hammond and Amite Walmart lying about their gun policy, Walmart Corp has stepped in.

    Walmart corp supports gun owners and made damn sure that the managers of these two walmart's stopped the lying to their customers about how the policy states that only LEO can carry in their store.

    The policy states that if you are LEGALLY carrying, you can carry in their stores.

    I carry in all other Walmart's and have NO problem what so ever. For the record, Hammond and Amite now know the real policy

    Careful in Amite Anty506. They've got an anti-carry law that's been on the books since 1965 so state preemption doesn't work there.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    Anybody got a list of tyrannical municipalities with anti-carry laws?

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    turbodog wrote:
    Anty506 wrote:
    After months of the Hammond and Amite Walmart lying about their gun policy, Walmart Corp has stepped in.

    Walmart corp supports gun owners and made damn sure that the managers of these two walmart's stopped the lying to their customers about how the policy states that only LEO can carry in their store.

    The policy states that if you are LEGALLY carrying, you can carry in their stores.

    I carry in all other Walmart's and have NO problem what so ever. For the record, Hammond and Amite now know the real policy

    Careful in Amite Anty506. They've got an anti-carry law that's been on the books since 1965 so state preemption doesn't work there.

    Wouldn't that be unconstitutional, though, under Article 1, Section 11?


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    turbodog wrote:
    Anty506 wrote:
    After months of the Hammond and Amite Walmart lying about their gun policy, Walmart Corp has stepped in.

    Walmart corp supports gun owners and made damn sure that the managers of these two walmart's stopped the lying to their customers about how the policy states that only LEO can carry in their store.

    The policy states that if you are LEGALLY carrying, you can carry in their stores.

    I carry in all other Walmart's and have NO problem what so ever. For the record, Hammond and Amite now know the real policy

    Careful in Amite Anty506. They've got an anti-carry law that's been on the books since 1965 so state preemption doesn't work there.

    Wouldn't that be unconstitutional, though, under Article 1, Section 11?
    If it's true that is.

  8. #8
    Regular Member turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    turbodog wrote:
    Anty506 wrote:
    After months of the Hammond and Amite Walmart lying about their gun policy, Walmart Corp has stepped in.

    Walmart corp supports gun owners and made damn sure that the managers of these two walmart's stopped the lying to their customers about how the policy states that only LEO can carry in their store.

    The policy states that if you are LEGALLY carrying, you can carry in their stores.

    I carry in all other Walmart's and have NO problem what so ever. For the record, Hammond and Amite now know the real policy

    Careful in Amite Anty506. They've got an anti-carry law that's been on the books since 1965 so state preemption doesn't work there.

    Wouldn't that be unconstitutional, though, under Article 1, Section 11?
    Good Point XD!

    Here it is, y'all judge.

    Section 11-4017. Unlawful possession of weapons. (a)Except as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful for any person, except within his own domicile, to carry or use on or about his person or have in his manual possession, either secretly or openly, whether concealed or otherwise, any arms or weapons of any kind, or any shotgun, rifle, pistol, revolver, air-gun, "B-B gun," gas operated gun or spring gun, or any instrument, toy or weapon commonly known as a "peashooter," "slingshot," or "beany," or any bow made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, or any dirk, bowie knife, clasp knife, razor, metallic knuckles, slingshot, billy or any other weapon, whether the instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name, other than the ordinary or common penknife or pocket knife. (b)The prohibition of (a) above shall not apply to licensed shooting galleries or in private grounds or premises under circumstances when the instrument can be fired, discharged or operated in a manner as not to endanger persons or property, and also in a manner as to prevent the projectile from traversing any grounds or space outside the limits of the gallery, grounds or residence; and further provided, that nothing herein contained shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any type of gun whatsoever when unloaded and properly cased, to or from any range or gallery or to or from an area where hunting is allowed by law, and further provided that nothing herein contained shall be construed to prevent or forbid any federal, state, parish or municipal officer empowered to make arrests, nor any person who shall be licensed to carry arms under the provisions of the laws of the town, the state or under any federal laws, from carrying or wearing, while on duty, the weapons as shall be necessary in this proper discharge of their duties. (Ord. No. 483, §§ I, II, 10-5-65)

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    turbodog wrote:
    Anty506 wrote:
    After months of the Hammond and Amite Walmart lying about their gun policy, Walmart Corp has stepped in.

    Walmart corp supports gun owners and made damn sure that the managers of these two walmart's stopped the lying to their customers about how the policy states that only LEO can carry in their store.

    The policy states that if you are LEGALLY carrying, you can carry in their stores.

    I carry in all other Walmart's and have NO problem what so ever. For the record, Hammond and Amite now know the real policy

    Careful in Amite Anty506. They've got an anti-carry law that's been on the books since 1965 so state preemption doesn't work there.

    Wouldn't that be unconstitutional, though, under Article 1, Section 11?
    Could be some sort of grandfather law.

    RS 40:1796
    PART II-A. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

    §1796. Preemption of state law

    A. No governing authority of a political subdivision shall enact after July 15, 1985, any ordinance or regulation more restrictive than state law concerning in any way the sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transfer, transportation, license, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition; however, this Section shall not apply to the levy and collection of sales and use taxes, license fees and taxes and permit fees, nor shall it affect the authority of political subdivisions to prohibit the possession of a weapon or firearm in certain commercial establishments and public buildings.

    B. Nothing in this Section shall prohibit a local governing authority in a high-risk area from developing a plan with federally licensed firearms manufacturers, dealers, or importers to secure the inventory of firearms and ammunition of those licensees in order to prevent looting of the licensee's premises during a declared state of emergency or disaster. Such plan shall be renewed on a periodic basis. The information contained in the plan shall be deemed security procedures as defined in R.S. 44:3.1 and shall be released only to the sheriffs of the parishes or police chiefs of municipalities in which the declared state of emergency or disaster exists.

    C. For the purposes of this Section:

    (1) "Declared emergency or disaster" means an emergency or disaster declared by the governor or parish president pursuant to the provisions of the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act.

    (2) "High-risk area" means the parishes of Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, Iberia, Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St. John, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, and Vermilion.

    Added by Acts 1985, No. 741, §1, eff. July 17, 1985; Acts 2006, No. 254, §1.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    What else can one possibly say or write to get the point across? NO act of the legislature or some political subdivision of the state thereof can trump a RIGHT as defined in the state constitution.
    ....after July 15, 1985...



    When was Amite City's anti carry code enacted?
    Could it be 1965?

    If so, could you be giving someone bad advice? Are you gonna represent someone when they get arrested in Amite City after you told them they could carry there?




  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    Amite City Code

    http://library3.municode.com/default...infobase=11929

    § 11-4017. Unlawful possession of weapons.

    Section 11-4017. Unlawful possession of weapons.


    (a)Except as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful for any person, except within his own domicile, to carry or use on or about his person or have in his manual possession, either secretly or openly, whether concealed or otherwise, any arms or weapons of any kind, or any shotgun, rifle, pistol, revolver, air-gun, "B-B gun," gas operated gun or spring gun, or any instrument, toy or weapon commonly known as a "peashooter," "slingshot," or "beany," or any bow made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, or any dirk, bowie knife, clasp knife, razor, metallic knuckles, slingshot, billy or any other weapon, whether the instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name, other than the ordinary or common penknife or pocket knife.


    (b)The prohibition of (a) above shall not apply to licensed shooting galleries or in private grounds or premises under circumstances when the instrument can be fired, discharged or operated in a manner as not to endanger persons or property, and also in a manner as to prevent the projectile from traversing any grounds or space outside the limits of the gallery, grounds or residence; and further provided, that nothing herein contained shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any type of gun whatsoever when unloaded and properly cased, to or from any range or gallery or to or from an area where hunting is allowed by law, and further provided that nothing herein contained shall be construed to prevent or forbid any federal, state, parish or municipal officer empowered to make arrests, nor any person who shall be licensed to carry arms under the provisions of the laws of the town, the state or under any federal laws, from carrying or wearing, while on duty, the weapons as shall be necessary in this proper discharge of their duties.

    (Ord. No. 483, §§ I, II, 10-5-65)


    Well take a look at that. :what:
    Can you say Blue City ?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    That little number 65 at the end may mean the difference between a hard time and a new motorcycle for someone.


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    derf wrote:
    That little number 65 at the end may mean the difference between a hard time and a new motorcycle for someone.
    I have no idea where this place is, nor do I care. But if a city is that whacked out on restriction, they sure as hell ain't getting any of my business. I'd stay completely away from it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    Driving directions to Amite City, LA

    213mi – about 3 hours 33 mins

    I don't think I'll ever go there

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    MEMwrote:
    NO act of the legislature or some political subdivision of the state thereof can trump a RIGHT as defined in the state constitution.
    why don't you go down there and test out your theory?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    I have no idea where this place is, nor do I care. But if a city is that whacked out on restriction, they sure as hell ain't getting any of my business. I'd stay completely away from it.
    See what you can do with good information? You can make an informed decision.

    Driving directions to Amite City, LA 213 mi – about 3 hours 33 mins I don't think I'll ever go there
    It is north of Hammond off I-55.

    Aren't you glad you didn't go there and get arrested for OC?



  17. #17
    Regular Member turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    lsushawn wrote:
    MEMwrote:
    NO act of the legislature or some political subdivision of the state thereof can trump a RIGHT as defined in the state constitution.
    why don't you go down there and test out your theory?
    LOL! He won't go near the place!
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

  18. #18
    Regular Member turbodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Independence, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    Dustin wrote:
    derf wrote:
    That little number 65 at the end may mean the difference between a hard time and a new motorcycle for someone.
    I have no idea where this place is, nor do I care. But if a city is that whacked out on restriction, they sure as hell ain't getting any of my business. I'd stay completely away from it.
    Ya, Amite is just a few miles from home for me. I checked it out and found that little law, so no carry there, including the Wal Mart. That's why I figured I'd give a heads up to Anty506 seeing as he said he's carried at the Wallyworld there.

    Ya see mark, this is the kind of useful stuff people try and find here, CITATIONS of LAW that can help keep a fellow carrier out of jail through simple ignorance.

    As opposed to the rabid dogma (no pun intended) you prefer to flog people with.


    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    turbodog wrote:
    Dustin wrote:
    derf wrote:
    That little number 65 at the end may mean the difference between a hard time and a new motorcycle for someone.
    I have no idea where this place is, nor do I care. But if a city is that whacked out on restriction, they sure as hell ain't getting any of my business. I'd stay completely away from it.
    Ya, Amite is just a few miles from home for me. I checked it out and found that little law, so no carry there, including the Wal Mart. That's why I figured I'd give a heads up to Anty506 seeing as he said he's carried at the Wallyworld there.

    Ya see mark, this is the kind of useful stuff people try and find here, CITATIONS of LAW that can help keep a fellow carrier out of jail through simple ignorance.

    As opposed to the rabid dogma (no pun intended) you prefer to flog people with.

    Well put.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    derf wrote:
    turbodog wrote:
    Dustin wrote:
    derf wrote:
    That little number 65 at the end may mean the difference between a hard time and a new motorcycle for someone.
    I have no idea where this place is, nor do I care. But if a city is that whacked out on restriction, they sure as hell ain't getting any of my business. I'd stay completely away from it.
    Ya, Amite is just a few miles from home for me. I checked it out and found that little law, so no carry there, including the Wal Mart. That's why I figured I'd give a heads up to Anty506 seeing as he said he's carried at the Wallyworld there.

    Ya see mark, this is the kind of useful stuff people try and find here, CITATIONS of LAW that can help keep a fellow carrier out of jail through simple ignorance.

    As opposed to the rabid dogma (no pun intended) you prefer to flog people with.

    Well put.
    Except that, technically,Mark is correct in stating that the Constitution trumps a state law or local ordinance. (Don't take my word, ask any lawyer.) The State pre-emption law refers tolaws passed prior to its adoption as being grandfathered. However, the state Constitution outranks even that. So from a strict reading, the Amite anti-carry law is unconstitutional.

    It would take a test case to have that formally declared, for that law was not nipped in the bud before it was passed. So if someone has the time and the money to fight a small town unconstitutional law, here's your chance. But be forewarned: it will be expensive, time-consuming, and people who do not clearly appreciate your motives will harangue you and inveigh against you in public internet forums.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    131

    Post imported post

    Yes, and if you take the 2A literally then all the state laws and local laws are unconstitutional.

    You also get into grey areas about what is concealed. Does a holster conceal a gun? Does it have to be readily recognized as a gun? Who decides what "readily recognized" is?

    I agree the laws contradict themselves in many instances. But, that doesn't keep anyone from being arrested in Amite City.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    But be forewarned: it will be expensive, time-consuming, and people who do not clearly appreciate your motives will harangue you and inveigh against you in public internet forums.
    For the rest of your LIFE !

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    341

    Post imported post

    derf wrote:
    Yes, and if you take the 2A literally then all the state laws and local laws are unconstitutional.
    There are questions as to whether 2A applies to the states. There is no question that 1-11 applies to the state, parishes, and cities.

    The way that tyrannical town's ordinance is written, CC is illegal (as 1-11 specifically allows regulation of CC). The only way to carry "legally" there is to OC...which will get you immediately arrested under the unconstitutional provisions in the ordinance! What a hellhole! My apologies to anyone stuck under that town's bootheel!

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pierce is a Coward, ,
    Posts
    1,100

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    Except that, technically,Mark is correct in stating that the Constitution trumps a state law or local ordinance. (Don't take my word, ask any lawyer.) The State pre-emption law refers tolaws passed prior to its adoption as being grandfathered. However, the state Constitution outranks even that. So from a strict reading, the Amite anti-carry law is unconstitutional.

    It would take a test case to have that formally declared, for that law was not nipped in the bud before it was passed. So if someone has the time and the money to fight a small town unconstitutional law, here's your chance. But be forewarned: it will be expensive, time-consuming, and people who do not clearly appreciate your motives will harangue you and inveigh against you in public internet forums.
    If Louisiana provides for declaratory judgment filings, one wouldn't need to be a test case. One could come at the law, straightway.

    As to your second paragraph, it's disheartening to see so many that anti-gunners and anti-Liberty antagonists have infiltratrated the ranks of gun owners. The Bradys are not as zealous in their attacks on guns rights as are the pro-authority, anti-individualist types.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    259

    Post imported post

    smoking357 wrote:
    XD-GEM wrote:
    Except that, technically,Mark is correct in stating that the Constitution trumps a state law or local ordinance. (Don't take my word, ask any lawyer.) The State pre-emption law refers tolaws passed prior to its adoption as being grandfathered. However, the state Constitution outranks even that. So from a strict reading, the Amite anti-carry law is unconstitutional.

    It would take a test case to have that formally declared, for that law was not nipped in the bud before it was passed. So if someone has the time and the money to fight a small town unconstitutional law, here's your chance. But be forewarned: it will be expensive, time-consuming, and people who do not clearly appreciate your motives will harangue you and inveigh against you in public internet forums.
    If Louisiana provides for declaratory judgment filings, one wouldn't need to be a test case. One could come at the law, straightway.

    As to your second paragraph, it's disheartening to see so many that anti-gunners and anti-Liberty antagonists have infiltratrated the ranks of gun owners. The Bradys are not as zealous in their attacks on guns rights as are the pro-authority, anti-individualist types.
    Congrats XD-GEM. now you are an anti-gunner. Amazing this guy, isn't he?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •