• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How come the places you most need a gun are the places you can least have one?

modelo57

imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
you mean in LA something in the water makes people crazy?

How long will it take of living in Wyoming to get the water out of every cell in my body and brain?
:)

MWD
My grandfather always told me "never drink the local water in a new place." I always thought it would make you crazy. Now I know he meant that I might get sick from the strange water

The body will flush out that L.A. water fast. As far as the brain, I'm still fighting this New England liberal water.

XD40coyote

imported post

While in WY, we got mad dogged by a couple, older out-of-state tourists. Fug 'em.

Ohh can you tell us what they said and what you said back? Were they from NJ? LOL

Of course I know some dumbbrained MDers who are antis ( Baltimorons through and through)...but considering all the MDers who hang out in southern York county PA, and that I was OCing among them for hours without anyone saying anything or even really noticing, I'd say MDers can be pretty decent on guns. Of course maybe most of them are from the North County like where I live, which has a very high gun ownership rate and lots of target shooting going on. Not to mention the rednecky counties on either side LOL.

Hot damn, Wyoming! I was in Cody in 1990 with my parents. My mother recently told me that she went into a Kmart while there and all these people were OCing. Well I don't recall that at all ( good lord if I had seen that I would NOT have forgotten that!). In fact I don't even know a time we were seperate during that trip. Maybe she saw that in VT when we were there in 1989 and she got the 2 mixed up LOL. In VT she DID go off on her own one day to check some plant place out, and she told us later about this moose she saw. Maybe she went to a Kmart too while out and about and it was in a REAL VT town where "OC is a birthright".

MichaelWDean

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
While in WY, we got mad dogged by a couple, older out-of-state tourists. Fug 'em.

Ohh can you tell us what they said and what you said back? Were they from NJ? LOL
They tourists didn't say anything. They stared at us and frowned and pointed. At an open carry dinner with friends in Cheyenne. Here's pix from the dinner,
http://www.stinkfight.com/2009/06/13/open-carry-vacation-to-wyoming-day-8-9-and-10-end-of-trip/

but there are no pix of those people. We ignored them.

the only other place we got maddogged was in this steak house:
http://www.stinkfight.com/2009/06/08/open-carry-vacation-to-wyoming-day-5-and-6/
By people from Iowa. They turned out to be staying in the same hotel, across the hall from us. They gave us dirty looks there too, while scuttling into their room.

>Hot damn, Wyoming! I was in Cody in 1990 with my parents. My mother recently told me that she went into a Kmart while there and all these people were OCing.

Here's my wife open carrying a few weeks ago in a WalMart in Gillette, Wyoming. While I took the picture, she was saying "Don’t mess with an armed woman buying tampons!"

wyomingcarryseconddayyay-006-225x300.jpg

MichaelWDean

imported post

Open carry isn't terribly common in Wyoming. We were all over the state for ten days, and the only people we saw doing it were our Free State Wyoming friends. But locals I talked to there said they've all seen it, but it's usually older ranchers coming into town for lunch.

I get the impression though, from everything I've read and everyone I've talked to, that Wyoming is probably the state where you're least likely of all 50 states to get hassled for it (probably partly because of the cowboy lineage and tradition, and probably partly because it's the least populated state).

We open carried everywhere, everyone noticed, no one cared (except those two tables of tourists, one in Sundance, on in Cheyenne) and we only got two comments.

One was "Cool! What's your gun?" and the other was some wonderful little kids. I forget if I enumerated that exchange on here or not, but it went like this (text below photo):

day5and6wyomingoc-039-225x300.jpg

Went to the McDonalds in Buffalo, Wyoming for lunch. Had the cutest encounter yet. There were three boys in there having lunch alone, without their parents. They were probably ages 8, 10 and 12. Boys immediately noticed my gun. The oldest one asked me, “Are you a policeman?” I said, “Nope.” Kid asked, “Sheriff?” “Nope.” Kid asked, “Highway patrol?” I said, “Nope.” (And thought to myself, “This young man really knows his different types of law enforcement!”)

Kid looked at the ground for several seconds and then looked up and asked me, “What are you?” I replied, “A citizen.”

Kid looked confused again. I said “In Wyoming an adult with no felony record can openly carry a firearm as long as he’s not engaging in, or planning to engage in, a crime.”

All three kids got excited, asked all kinds of questions. Had a good time chattin’ with them.

When DJ walked back with the food and sat down, they said, “Cool! She’s got one too!”

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I read with interest your whole "travel leg" on vacation. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I especially enjoyed the interaction with the young boys, too.

Keep the Faith and please continue your contributions!

Alexcabbie

imported post

How many times have you heard a mother lament that, although she refuses to buy "toy guns" for her boys, they will play "war" and "cops and robbers" with twigs, etc?? Guess what?? BOYS WILL BE BOYS despite the best efforts of leftist yoyos to try and teach them differently.

How many times have we heard the lefties say that our efforts in making war against the terrorists "just recruits more terrorists"? Much of the hardcore Anti agenda is aimed at sissifying our young males to "break the cycle of violence".

But abject surrender will bring only slavery, be it giving up your lunch money or your freedom. And running to tell an adult is nothing more than a use of force by proxy (and an adult may not be immediately at hand).

Those boys you spoke with were being boys, and also seeking guidance (although you would NEVER be able to get them to admit it). That little - what was it, maybe three minute - encounter made quite an impression on them.

Imagine what we would have thought if squirt guns were designed to look like fruit instead of guns, the way they are now. Oh, the justification is that kids should be thinking about college and the adult world insrtead of fantasies about firefights. But the adult world is competition every way. It used to be that people said you can either be a hammer or a nail. The Left - using the Antis as a foil - are trying to convince our young males that they not only can be but should be the wood into wich the nail is driven, and be glad of it. But boys will be boys, and your chance encounter may just prove to be an influence that will help steer them toward being MEN. The responsible excersise of the RTKBA ought to be taught in the public schools but it largely is not; so, sez me, that responsibility falls to US. Good job.

MichaelWDean

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I read with interest your whole "travel leg" on vacation. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I especially enjoyed the interaction with the young boys, too.

Keep the Faith and please continue your contributions!
Thanks man!

Sorry I hijacked that other thread, but was having fun chatting. Should have taken it offline, but what the hell, I think we mentioned guns SOMEWHERE, lol:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/27334.html

MWD

MichaelWDean

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
How many times have you heard a mother lament that, although she refuses to buy "toy guns" for her boys, they will play "war" and "cops and robbers" with twigs, etc??
This may seem off topic, but reminded me of something: I HATE TOY GUNS.

You can teach kids gun safety with real guns at the same age they want to "play war" (maybe age 7 or 8), give them lessons and supervision with a .22 rifle, and the world would be a better place.

I think that toy guns break the rules of gun safety
, by creating confusion in young minds with regard to "every gun is loaded" and "don't point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy."

Of course, this isn't anything I'd want to legislate, but if I ever had young kids again, there would be no toy guns, only real guns, with a lot of supervision and stress on safety, really young.

(I won't have anymore kids though, I'm 45, my wife is 50, I'm fixed, and I had one child, and she died of leukemia. I'm not going to have more kids.)

MWD

Alexcabbie

imported post

Sorry to learn about your child, MWD. Can't imagine what the loss was like and still must be.

I was not advocating loose firearms discipline there, just pointing out that too many people harbor the feeling that making kids - especially boys - into shy, non-assertive churchmice is the way to "World Peace"; and that both the technique aand the goal are unrealistic.

MichaelWDean

MichaelWDean

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I was not advocating loose firearms discipline there,
I absolutely knew that. I was just "riffing" off what you said.

The first post on that new thread I started:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27442
has been in my head for about six months, I just didn't know how to say it, or where. I figured here is a good place.

Any place where there's young men thinking it's a good idea to wear a "DON'T MAKE ME KILL YOU" T-shirt while open carrying a pistol is a good place to post it and open that discussion.

Some young men need a big brother. I'm willing to be one, if they're willing to listen.

MWD

MSC 45ACP

imported post

The only "toy guns" we've ever had in my house are water guns and a funny looking thing that shoots some sort of Nerf product. Even with these "weapons", I've taught my kids to never shoot someone in the face, and not to place the trigger finger in the trigger guard until the target is identified and is, in fact, the proper target... :D

MichaelWDean

imported post

Cool.

I've actually used a toy gun in tactical training..."how not to get a gun taken away from you" classes.

Also...I used to think paintball was pretty silly, but now I'm thinking it might be good training for tactical practice if ever attacked with real guns by multiple attackers.

Spent father's day today firing several thousand rounds at the range with my wife and my step-son and his girlfriend. She'd never shot. God I love teaching people safe gun use and watching them dig what they used to fear!

(First father's day I've not hated since my daughter died.)

Just wanted to share, It was a very good day today.

MWD

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I really enjoyed my 20+ years as a marksmanship instructor in the military. I like to teach. The biggest challege was teaching new recruits in boot camp. A couple close calls but a good experience for the most part. I still teach from time to time and miss doing it full time, but I'm not able to do so due to health concerns. Keep sharing the gospel, Brother Michael!

~~Mike

MichaelWDean

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Keep sharing the gospel, Brother Michael!

~~Mike
Thanks man!

I'm actually quite new to this, bought my first gun 11 months ago. But I've spent most of my time in that year devoted to getting up to speed, and learning.

Really, other than mechanics and practice, most of my ability to train rank beginners with safe and sane gun use is all stuff I learned (about life), long before I picked up a gun.

MWD

Alexcabbie

imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Keep sharing the gospel, Brother Michael!

~~Mike
Thanks man!

I'm actually quite new to this, bought my first gun 11 months ago. But I've spent most of my time in that year devoted to getting up to speed, and learning.

Really, other than mechanics and practice, most of my ability to train rank beginners with safe and sane gun use is all stuff I learned (about life), long before I picked up a gun.

MWD
AMEN. Ninety nine percent of safe firearms handling is common sense, which; being as Mark Twain said is very uncommon, needs to be taught. Parents used to be the corps d' academe in this regard. Sadly this task has increasingly been relegated to the government which is somewhat like assigning a screen-door maker to manufacture submarine hatches.

Riana

imported post

MichaelWDean wrote:
modelo57 wrote:
It's the water.
you mean in LA something in the water makes people crazy?

How long will it take of living in Wyoming to get the water out of every cell in my body and brain?
:)

MWD
I recommend soaking in a hot tub at least 3 hours a week for the next 6 months. That should take care of the California water problem for ya. :lol: