Thread: OC in a Kent County Sheriffs Department

Post imported post

I am wondering if OC is legal in a or Sheriffs department. I ask because a friend of mind walked into the Kent county Sheriffs department with his new pistol in a bag to register it (since it was a private purchase and his first pistol since the new laws) and they yelled at him and told him ha couldn't do that. I can't tell you how many pistols I brought though those doors. Anyway she was being a jerk and he said well technically I'm pretty sure I can Open Carry in here (the main public lobby of the Sheriffs department). He says she says you absolutely can not. There was also a Police officer there who said the same thing. She continued to argue with him and he just left it at that. But I am pretty sure you can OC in there as well. "technically" Not that I want to be the one to try it. Is this true?

Post imported post

Yes, you can carry a firearm into a sheriff's department, or any other PD.

This is assuming that they are not exempt by some other crazy means, like containing a court or something.

I have carried into the Frankenmuth PD and other departments many times. I'm hearing that a lot of MSP posts have no firearms signs, which are illegal to enforce if they are there strictly because it is a police station.

Post imported post

Well their is a jail around the back but I believe it is a diff building.

Post imported post

Back in the day, when PD's still did "safety inspections", most departments had rules that stated that the pistol had to be unloaded in a locked container. However, the need for the inspection has been removed from the law, and local units of government can't regulate firearms: see MCRGO v. Ferndale.

MCRGO v Ferndale: http://coa.courts.mi.gov/documents/o...37.opn.coa.pdf
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

Ive carried in the Jackson Sheriffs office multiple times with no incident. One of the times was back when I picked up the CPL packet, and someone else who was there for the same thing said "dont you have that already?" I explained and handed him a OC brochure. The lady behind the counter rolled her eyes and handed me my packet