• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a Kent County Sheriffs Department

Smoothsounds21

imported post

I am wondering if OC is legal in a or Sheriffs department. I ask because a friend of mind walked into the Kent county Sheriffs department with his new pistol in a bag to register it (since it was a private purchase and his first pistol since the new laws) and they yelled at him and told him ha couldn't do that. I can't tell you how many pistols I brought though those doors. Anyway she was being a jerk and he said well technically I'm pretty sure I can Open Carry in here (the main public lobby of the Sheriffs department). He says she says you absolutely can not. There was also a Police officer there who said the same thing. She continued to argue with him and he just left it at that. But I am pretty sure you can OC in there as well. "technically" Not that I want to be the one to try it. Is this true?

SQLtables

imported post

Yes, you can carry a firearm into a sheriff's department, or any other PD.

This is assuming that they are not exempt by some other crazy means, like containing a court or something.

I have carried into the Frankenmuth PD and other departments many times. I'm hearing that a lot of MSP posts have no firearms signs, which are illegal to enforce if they are there strictly because it is a police station.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

maahes

imported post

Ive carried in the Jackson Sheriffs office multiple times with no incident. One of the times was back when I picked up the CPL packet, and someone else who was there for the same thing said "dont you have that already?" I explained and handed him a OC brochure. The lady behind the counter rolled her eyes and handed me my packet :D