• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois guy moving to Indiana

trik396

imported post

New guy here. Here's my story. Living in Illinois I have to deal with the Firearms Owners I D or FOID for short. Don't know if you guys are familiar with Illinois stuff but this FOID card enables us to purchase firearms and ammo. A long time ago I made a mistake and was charged with a DUI. I had a handgun in my truck that was found by Chicago Police. Handguns are Illegal in Chicago. Had I been almost anywhere else in Illinois, the firearm would not have been a big deal but because of Chicago I had to go thru 18 months of court. During this time my FOID card was suspended by the Illinois state police. When my court was over and I had pled guilty to a misdemeanor firearm charge (not a felony, thankfully), the state police re-issued me my FOID card and all has been fine.
Here comes the questions guys, bare with me... I attempted to get a Pennsylvania out of state license but was turned down due to this issue.... Do you think I'll have the same problem in Indiana? Any ideas would be appreciated. The main reason I'm moving to Indiana is the freedoms you have as opposed to Illinois in general, Cook county more specifically, and Chicago. Anyone know of someone in similar situation who did or did not receive a LTCC in Indiana????

Thanks in advance.

trik396

imported post

Upon doing more research, I should be ok. There in the FAQ portion of Indiana law it states that you can be denied a permit if you had your permit from your former state revoked UNLESS it is restated or valid once again. Sounds like I should be good to go.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

trik396 wrote:
New guy here. Here's my story. Living in Illinois I have to deal with the Firearms Owners I D or FOID for short. Don't know if you guys are familiar with Illinois stuff but this FOID card enables us to purchase firearms and ammo. A long time ago I made a mistake and was charged with a DUI. I had a handgun in my truck that was found by Chicago Police. Handguns are Illegal in Chicago. Had I been almost anywhere else in Illinois, the firearm would not have been a big deal but because of Chicago I had to go thru 18 months of court. During this time my FOID card was suspended by the Illinois state police. When my court was over and I had pled guilty to a misdemeanor firearm charge (not a felony, thankfully), the state police re-issued me my FOID card and all has been fine.
Here comes the questions guys, bare with me... I attempted to get a Pennsylvania out of state license but was turned down due to this issue.... Do you think I'll have the same problem in Indiana? Any ideas would be appreciated. The main reason I'm moving to Indiana is the freedoms you have as opposed to Illinois in general, Cook county more specifically, and Chicago. Anyone know of someone in similar situation who did or did not receive a LTCC in Indiana????

Thanks in advance.
No. Pennsylvania has kind of a prickly reputation with out-of-state permits, anyway.

Your misdemeanor weapons charge in Illinois is not a disqualification to obtaining a permit in Indiana.

Where in Indiana are you moving?

trik396

imported post

Thanks for the reply. Not sure exactly where I'll be moving to but I will still be working in Illinois just over the border. I'm thinking somewhere in Lake county... Crown Point, St.John.... somewhere round those parts.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

trik396 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Not sure exactly where I'll be moving to but I will still be working in Illinois just over the border. I'm thinking somewhere in Lake county... Crown Point, St.John.... somewhere round those parts.
Crown Point is a bit far. Schererville is rather nice.

Be sure to add this to your gps:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3080.htm