• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying gun from private party

coffeyc

imported post

Is there an easy way to verify a gun is not stolen when I am purchasing it from an individual? I keep comming across some too good to be true deals and I am tired of missing them because I think they might be hot. Is there a way to run the serial number prior to purchase?

Thanks

Coffey

ELK-Tex

imported post

If I had inkling it was hot…I think you might contact the local sheriff or police department and ask them if they could check their database for you. The worst they could do is say no. If they do it you would know one way or the other. If it is stolen you might help catch a thief… or cause an other wise innocent person who may have purchased the gun unaware it was stolen, a small problem… like receipt of stolen property issue. However, when I have been in this situation and found a really good price on a gun that I wanted: I have asked the guy selling the gun for a face-to-face meeting. After engaging him in casual conversation about where he works, etc. I may ask, “Is it hot?” and gauge his reaction. I usually preface the “question” with… “Why are you selling this nice gun so cheaply?” and gauge that one. If my gut sent up red flags and alarm bells then I moved on down the road. During this time of economic downturn I have bought a couple guns that have been really good deals, at one face to face I asked where the fellow worked and found out he had been laid off from a local business that was in serious financial trouble. He needed the money more than the gun. If you don't like the answers and your gut is reacting negative just hand it back and say well thanks anyway, and walk away.

Willing_2_B_Free

imported post

Ask to record the serial number in person. Let the seller know you will be checking the weapon through the Sheriff's office. A criminal will NEVER allow you to go this far. Run the serial number through the Sheriff office. Buy the gun. Practice with the gun. And Open Carry the gun as soon as Texas begins obeying the Constitution.