• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"GUNS Save Lives" bricks at Turning Point Park

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sorry if this is a double post, but I can't find where the original thread is...

In summary..

There is a project in Norfolk where folks can buy bricks..

See: http://www.festeventsva.org/mini-site/turning-point-park-project

A few of us paid for bricks with the message "GUNS Save Lives". I got a letter today from the Norfolk City attorney denying my (our) request. I scanned it tonight (but made it too fat) so I will scan it tomorrow and post it here tomorrow.

I also sent a copy of the response to VCDL to see if they want to fight it.

Ed

ed

imported post

from the website (and remembered someone posted this from the original thread)

Since 1982, the local private sector- from individuals to Fortune 500 corporations- have generously contributed more than $30 million to support the thousands of city celebrations and programs presented in Norfolk's Town Point Park. In this same spirit of public-private partnership, with leadership of Norfolk Festevents, Ltd., the community is now invited to participate in this first time ever fundraising effort to support the city's renovation of Town Point Park. Now 25 years old and never renovated, the park is showing its age in its infrastructure and design. Planned improvements to this city landmark will keep pace with surging attendance and today's environment, and provide an important investment in the quality of life of this region. Individuals, families, groups and companies can become part of this special Turning Point Project for the park by sponsoring a brick or marker, adopting a new park bench or tree, or marking your legacy to the Norfolk waterfront through major contributions recognized in bronze plaques along the new Waterside Walk, at the Park Entrances, or through limited naming rights for the new Band Shell and Performance Amphitheatre. The commemorative bricks and markers will be used to pave the walkways and plazas of the newly renovated and landscaped waterfront park; park benches and trees will line paths leading to new fountains and winding through newly designed green spaces and seating areas.
Personalize these limited commemorative elements for yourself, your friends or family members. Or you can choose to honor colleagues, clients, an organization or a special individual. Years of special memories made at the park and along the downtown waterfront can now be captured and celebrated for generations to come. All contributions are tax deductible and will help fund construction of the park as well as provide financial support for future improvements and enhancements to the waterfront programs. The project cost is $11,500,000, to be underwritten by a combination of City of Norfolk and private sector funds. The project is scheduled to begin late October, 2008.Town Point Park will reopen on the weekend of July 4th, 2009 along with the annual Norfolk Harborfest celebration to be scheduled July 3-5. Your special commemoration will serve as a lasting tribute to family, friends and associates, and as a legacy of your participation and pride in our community!

Crash7795

imported post

Ed,

Lookslike a CYAresponse to me. IANAL, but can you dispute the rejection on the grounds that it is a public place?

Not that you want to go through the upload process again, but you may want to think about blacking out your address.

Thanks for sharing. Oh, and my brother and I got the OC cards in the mail yesterday. Thanks for those, too.

TexasNative

imported post

FWIW, Ed routinely publishes his home address on teh Intarwebz. I suspect he (and Brooke, for that matter) are prepared in the unlikely event that any unpleasantness should come their way as a result.

ed

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
FWIW, Ed routinely publishes his home address on teh Intarwebz. I suspect he (and Brooke, for that matter) are prepared in the unlikely event that any unpleasantness should come their way as a result.
We are..

I used to block out my address but I am pretty active online and in the community and sending out OC cards, etc. So blocking it from YOU GUYS does not make sense when it is available to the rest of the world. :)

And TexasNative is exactly right :) (and don't forget I just bought a brand new Super Shorty too)

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
We are..

I used to block out my address but I am pretty active online and in the community and sending out OC cards, etc. So blocking it from YOU GUYS does not make sense when it is available to the rest of the world. :)

And TexasNative is exactly right :) (and don't forget I just bought a brand new Super Shorty too)
Have you shot any 3" mags out of it yet? How was it?

ed

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ed wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
We are..

I said i BOUGHT it.. I did not HAVE it yet ;-).. It takes the AFT a looooooong time for the Class III tax stamp.

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ed wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
We are..

I said i BOUGHT it.. I did not HAVE it yet ;-).. It takes the AFT a looooooong time for the Class III tax stamp.
I thought it was just a AOW, $5 thing that took no time...?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ed wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
ed wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
We are..

I thought it was just a AOW, $5 thing that took no time...?
ditto???