• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to shoot and a open carry question.

thomasbrooks07

imported post

I am out in cowlitz county WA and id love to get out and target shoot more. with it being summer it might be fun to back pack out into the woods for a day of target practice. I did a google map search of my neighbor hood and if I walk down to the county road there is 1 house on the other side and then its nothing open woods for a long time with no houses around.

Before graba pinking rifle and my back pack and walk up the street and into the woods I would like to know what the law is on that subject. Is it legal to carry a unloaded rifle up the street to the county main road it really isnt very far but I dont want to be out side the law lol.Our house is all ready out side of townand is under thecounty district.Also I would like to know how far out in the woods or away from houses do you have to go to fire off a .22 long rifle? On a side note does anyone know how far a .22 lr sound would travel out in the woods.Even if im far our there I wouldnt want tobother anyonewith the constant pops.

Thanks for any advice given.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

You might want to make sure you are not on private property, the woods you are refering to may belong to someone.

If you came on to my property and started shooting with out asking I would at the least be very angry with you and at the worst I would press charges. I am abig supporter of the 2nd amendment and and even bigger supporter of private property rights.

Stay safe what ever you do

Orphan

thomasbrooks07

imported post

I am not looking to step on anyones toes. The last thing I would do is damage someones property and yes I know trees are valuable and the last thing I would do is hit them. How would you go about seeing who owns what? The land looks to have never been logged and ive never seen any new houses or construction off the county main road?

Trigger Dr

imported post

You can go to google earth, get the GPS co ords and then to the local title company to find out who the owner is. Title companies are very cooperative as they think you will be usingthem in your purchase or sale. Does not matter if you are buying or not, they are good to deal with. Don't know aout OC there though. Try.

jddssc121

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I will answer your open carry question. It is not illegal to openly carry a rifle in Washington, HOWEVER, and this is IMPORTANT - maintain muzzle discipline! The minute that muzzle sweeps someone, you can now be charged with 9.41.270. It would be best, if not in a case,to carry slung over a shoulder with the muzzle straight down.
and it it ends up pointed at someone, it's covered under 9.41.230

seattlejohn

imported post

thomasbrooks07 wrote:
How would you go about seeing who owns what? The land looks to have never been logged and ive never seen any new houses or construction off the county main road?

Hi, I'm John. Long time lurker, first time poster.

You can search for your property here using this tool your county's assessor provides:
http://www.cowlitzinfo.net/applications/cowlitzassessorparcelsearch

Once you're viewing your property, there is a link under the "account information" page on the "Account" row. If you click on that, it will open up an interactive map that will show parcels that are near you. Once you know the parcel of the land you're interested in, you can go back to the parcel search page to find out who owns it.