• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18+ owning a suppressor?

b1ack5mith

imported post

i was reading:

76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony.

well, a suppressor is considered a full automatic weapon (yeah funny) and it says anyone UNDER 18 may not own a full auto... does that mean an 18 year old CAN own a full auto???? how can they do this? how can i get a suppressor while being under 21? would i have to "receive it as a gift"?

Johnny_B

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
i was reading:

76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony.

well, zuppressor is considered a full automatic weapon (yeah funny) and it says anyone UNDER 18 may not own a full auto... does that mean an 18 year old CAN own a full auto???? how can they do this? how can i get a suppressor while being under 21? (ill be 21 in dec, so its not too far away, THEN WE CAN DRINK!!! not that i will, but i want to be ABLE to) would i have to "receive it as a gift"?
You can't receive a suppressor as a "gift" it's illegal to own without tax stamp forms in your name from the ATF for a cool $200 (on top of the price of the silencer) and a nice 3-ish month backround check and get "permission" (signed off) from your local head of the fuzz. Know a LEO who had to wait 5 months for his backround check :lol: Also you have to keep the paperwork with the silencer (or title 2 weapon) anywhere the gun is at to produce the papers.

They are illegal to transfer without notifying the ATF filling out a form 4 (I think) and as if the ATF would approve such a transfer, backround check, tax stamp payment chief of fuzz signature again ect. would have to happen again because it is a title II "weapon" regulated by the ATF all transfers HAVE to notify them or it's a big ol' sentence to a jail cell with bubba.

I don't think you can own a title II weapon under the age of 21, I'm not sure, but I doubt the ATF would approve sale to anyone under 21.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Silencers are not "full automatic weapons", they are Title IIfirearms, which is what is machine gunare also classified as.

Question 13 d. on the ATF Form 4is "Under 21 years of age?"

U.S.C. 18, Part I, Chapter 44, §922. Unlawful acts, (b), (1)states the following...

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
Even "private sales" and "gifts" of a Title II firearmmustbe transferred bya licensed dealer, so you must be 21.

Johnny_B

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Silencers are not "full automatic weapons", they are Title IIfirearms, which is what is machine gunare also classified as.

U.S.C. 18, Part I, Chapter 44, §922. Unlawful acts, (b), (1)states the following...

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
Even "private sales" and "gifts" of a Title II firearmmustbe transferred bya licensed dealer, so you must be 21.
He splaind it better than me :)

b1ack5mith

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:

hey i was close! machine gun, full auto, tomato, tamato ;)