• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opnions on S&W 686

younggun20

imported post

Anyone own a S&W 686. i may be picking one up this weekend. So far all the reviews I've seen are praises. Any stories, complaints or suggestions?

Don Barnett

imported post

I have owned one for many years. It is a nice revolver and I have had NO problems with it whatsoever. Mine is the 7 shot model with a 3" barrel. I carry it all the time. You won't go wrong by buying it.

Don Barnett

imported post

I have owned a 7 shot, 3" barrel 686 for many years. It is a real good, no nonsense revolver and I have had NO problems with it whatsoever. I carry mine all the time. It handles well and is very accurate. You will not be sorry if you buy one.

redlegagent

imported post

Terrible, just terrible. Better leave it for me. :p

I've had a 586 for 22 years - old blue model they no longer make - and it's a great wheel gun. Excellent balance and accuracy. Mine is 6" model. Put a pair of Pachymer combat grips on it and enjoy. ;)

redlegagent

imported post

I've had a 586 for 22 years - old blue model they no longer make - and it's a great wheel gun. Excellent balance and accuracy. Mine is 6" model. Put a pair of Pachymer combat grips on it and enjoy. ;)

redlegagent

imported post

Win75

imported post

I have one. I really like it but it is not much for carry. 8 3/8 inch barrel so it is more for target shooting and hunting. Great gun though.

BTW. Great looking 686 you have there.

TehGruu

imported post

Oh man, you're gonna make me cry. I had a 7 shot 686P. Freaking divorce man. Cleaned me out of my handgun collection. I'm building it back up though. Just taking time. :celebrate But to the OP, it is a damn fine weapon. My first shot ever from mine was a bullseye. It was the 2nd wheel gun I ever shot too.

jerg_064

imported post

I got the 6" 6 shooter for x-mas last year. Love it, though I got a G17 at the same time so it hasn't been played with as much.... I'll take it hunting with me though, I don't trust a 9mm on hogs.

I've seen some with nice wooden ergo grips on them that I was looking to change over to.

jbird

imported post

Nice revolver. I've owned two 686's in the past and currently have a nickel plated 586. The L frame is my favorite of the Smiths. You'll love it.

Jay

younggun20

imported post

Hello All well I finally took it out on Sunday, I loved it, crisp trigger is beautiful. Im now a reborn revolver fein! Unfortunately my fiance shot a glock and now she wants one so she gets a new one before i get mine... Someone remind me again Why does it ork Like that???:banghead:

TFred

imported post

Just chipping in here... there are lots of threads on various gun forums about the
S&W 686, many lauding its praise. I've seen some go so far as to say the 686-5 (last
model before the infernal internal key lock was added) is one of the best non-Colt
revolvers ever made.

For my home defense gun, it took about six months of searching used gun shops and
internet auction sites (and listening to gun show dealers laugh at the dim prospect of
actually finding one) before I finally found a 686-5 seven shot in great shape at a
reasonable price. It is one smooth shooting revolver.

TFred

Landpimp

imported post

I have a "few" L frames and just love them, I use my 4" 686 to teach newbies, 38wadcutters make it a very easyto master, then I work folks down to a j frame.....works great. I am not a "trainer" but I love to show newbies how to shoot and do it in a way that makes learning fun and easy

they are a bit large for me to CC so I prefer a K frame for that use.

here is a stumper for ya all.........:D

294332869.jpg