• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry on a motorcycle in Michigan

kchelius

imported post

I would like to know about open carry on a motorcycle. All the MCL I read leads me to belive that you can carry with firearm in holster and still ridea motorcycle.

I was surounded by at least 10 men at a red light on my bike in a bad part of town, having them block my way. As I ran the light to get away from them, they tried to grab me as I went by. This was at 1st ave and Michigan ave in Ypsilanti.

They walked around me in a circle trying to distract me. Hoping to distract me, possibly trying to knock me over from behind.

Is it possible to open carry on a motorcycle in Michigan?

kchelius

imported post

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Looks like you answered your own question.

A Motorcycle is a "motor vehicle," therefore, as soon as you mount up, your gun is illegal.

If you have a CPL, you may legally carry, openly or concealed, while riding.

kchelius

imported post

Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

I took the wording as you can carry a pistol and not a long gun.

Please respond some more with observations, I feel that i am not safe on my motorcycle anymore.